5.0 out of 5 stars This Albums Is Brilliant
Ok iv'e just finnished listening to the album. i settled down and really listened and it is sheer brilliance! from the first harp chords of "noctuary," to the fade out of "light pattern," i was constantly interested. I havn't listened so intently to an album since i got Geogaddi By Boards Of Canada! this album is set to sore in my list of personal favorites. I...
Published on 21 Aug 2005 by sublimedub

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by its cover
Oh dear. I was so looking forward to this release, and when I saw the plush, shiny, beautifully produced CD package which arrived on my doorstep I thought I was in for a treat exceeding that provided by Animal Magic.
Sadly this could not be farther from the truth. All the thought and energy seems to have gone into said packaging, and the resultant music is a major...
Published on 30 Jun 2003 by drfrot

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonobo's best, 19 Dec 2013
C. Lewis (UK) - See all my reviews
I have been after this vinyl for a long time, now that I have one it has not disappoint. Excellent album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Jun 2012
The album's great, but then what else would you expect from Bonobo. Album artwork is beautiful, and it came with a digital download of the album, and the vinyl had an extended version of "something for windy" and two extra songs on side D. All in all very happy with my purchase. Although a quick warning; the song listing on the vinyl are wrong because they are for the 2003 version of the album which only had the original 9 songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars genius, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: Dial 'M' for Monkey (Audio CD)
I can't find words good enough to describe it. I was 16 when a friend of mine lent me this album. I didn't know who Bonobo was, the album was a pirate copy, it was quite hard to find such albums in Poland those days. I remember I fell in love with those tunes immediately. And I have been in love with Bonobo ever since, buying all of his albums. Acoustic, smooth, varied. I'm in a great admiration for how smart Bonobo mixes his tunes. He's such a genuine, talented artist, you can feel his passion for music in every single track. The beats go deep, they live their own life, they reflect your mood. If someone asked me which of Bonobo's albums is the best one I'm not sure if I'd pick 'Dial M for Monkey' straight away. Just because I do love all of the others, Days to come and Black sands are both amazing and inspiring. Yet, his first studio album will always be the most sentimental to me. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Go-Bonobo, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Dial 'M' for Monkey (Audio CD)
How many times has this happenend to you? Friends start talking about a band you know nothing about. You monitor their conversation closely, hoping to catch the name of this mystery act. Then on another occasion you find you ear being turned onto a tune or two, the titles of which are unknown, let along what record, or band has produced the tracks. That was how I got into Bonobo.

I usually find myself in the classic rock and blues sections of record stores (are there any left?) but this caught my ear. You can't listen to screaming guitar solos and crunching riffs all day, espcially when its late at night and you want something to soundtrack an evening with chums or summer BBQ. Step forward, Simon Green for he is Bonobo.

As I touched on, the tunes are whistful, delicate, melodic and quite wonderfully produced. I was wary of other low star reviews but if you are a fan of Air, Broken Bells, Mr Scruff or are an open minded rock fan then this is certainly worth a purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, 14 Oct 2009
S. Combellack "scombo" (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dial 'M' for Monkey (Audio CD)
I love bonobo and this is one of his best, if not his best album. It's packed full of great melodies, breakbeats and interesting sounds. Play on a good, loud sound system and make yourself smile! Favourite songs: D Song, Change Down, Nothing Owed.

Ace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep beats with sweetness., 14 April 2009
This review is from: Dial 'M' for Monkey (Audio CD)
Nice elements, soft and sharp rythms.Good Bonobo stuff.A must if you are into ninja tune and smart breaks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, 1 Feb 2009
Mr. D. M. Jenkins (Devon, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dial 'M' for Monkey (Audio CD)
This is my first Bonobo purchase but I intend to look deeper into the work of Simon Green and I know I'll purchase the whole catalogue before long. Beautifully crafted songs from the openning, a Ninja Tunes classic, this label just gets better and better. I'm a fan of the cinematic orchestra and Skalpel, it offers something different, something classy and stylish to drive to work to or to end the day on a realxing high. You can't go wrong with Dial M For Monkey so treat yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars has the monkey evolved?, 14 Oct 2003
This review is from: Dial 'M' for Monkey (Audio CD)
First things first- this is Animal Magic part 2.
No tricks, no surprises, just more of the same Bonobo sound- which to some- may be a disappointment.
But that aside- after a few listens you do realise just how good Simon Green is at doing what he does -crafting beautifully dreamy, slightly melancholy downtempo music you end up treasuring like a battered old photo of a friend lost- but never forgotten.
It's the perfect music to watch raindrops dance their way down a window on a long train ride into the country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing chilled beats with sweet melodies, 24 May 2003
This review is from: Dial 'M' for Monkey (Audio CD)
I have been waiting for a CD from Bonobo (that isn't just remixes) for a while now and this one was well worth the wait. The tracks are filled with rich bass lines, original drumming beats and sweet melodic guitar instrumentals. My personal favorites are Noctuary, Light Pattern and Nothing Owed. If you like Quantic, Theivery Corporation or Groove Armada, you will most likely love this CD. I wish I could be back at Leeds Uni to see these guys...

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxed beats with sweet melodies, 21 May 2003
This review is from: Dial 'M' for Monkey (Audio CD)
I have been anticipating another release from Bonobo (that isn't just remixes) and this has been well worth the wait. This fresh new CD (although short) is inundated with chilled bass lines and sweet melodic guitar instrumentals. My personal favorite tracks are Noctuary and Nothing Owed. I love the trip hop elements with jazzy overtones in this CD. If you like Quantic, the more subdued Amon Tobin tracks, Thievery Corporation, Mr. Scruff and Animal Magic, you will love this new CD!!! I can't wait to go back to England to see these guys in concert at Leeds Uni.

Dial 'M' for Monkey
Dial 'M' for Monkey by Bonobo (Audio CD - 2003)