5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Nikon tele zoom, but heavy, 29 Jun. 2007
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
Nikon describes this as a "Compact, lightweight G-type fast telephoto zoom lens with Vibration Reduction (VR)". This is slightly bizarre because Nikon makes a number of lightweight zooms. However, at 1.47 kg, this is not one of them. That, and the price, are the only downsides to this extraordinary lens. The price, once paid, is something you forget about fairly quickly. The weight, however, stays with you.

If you can live with that, this is an astonishing piece of glass with a measured acutance that puts it not only at the top of the 70-200 category, but close to the top of any lens, zoom or prime, of any length available on 35mm. It also has a beautiful bokeh, giving wonderful out-of-focus backgrounds, with virtually no measurable distortion.

Nikon made six highly rated 80-200 f/2.8 constant aperture autofocus lenses before this one. Any one of them is _almost_ as optically perfect as this lens. The early ones were 'screwdriver' focus, which is slower and slightly jerky, but the latest ones are AF-S, which means they are equipped with 'silent wave' motors. I'm not really sure why they call this 'silent wave', as the noise of the 'screwdriver' type was never a problem, but AF-S does focus more quickly for less battery drain. As well as offering an extra 10mm of focal length range on the short end, the 70-200 is equipped with Vibration Reduction, which accounts for the massive price hike.

Vibration Reduction (VR) puts a floating element in the lens which a voice coil vibrates to cancel the vibrations inherent in hand-holding. It has two modes, normal and active. Normal is for regular hand-holding and panning, while Active is for use when shooting from a moving vehicle. Nikon promises three full stops better performance through VR, which means that, instead of shooting at 1/250 for 200mm focal length, you can shoot at 1/30. VR is a real 'seeing is believing' function. I certainly didn't believe it, until we bought an 18-200 VR lens, and I saw for myself. Three days later, I bought this lens: VR really does work.

What more is there to say? This may well be the most technically perfect, uncompromising lens that Nikon has ever built. It was redesigned from the ground up, taking the best characteristics of its predecessors and improving on them. The metal construction is well suited to the rigours of professional life, and the tripod collar is much better than the earlier versions. It also comes in a really good padded case/bag. Alongside the VR controls, it also has switches for auto and manual, for focus hold, and for limiting focus distance -- useful to reduce hunting if there are close objects such as fences or railings. It also focuses superbly quickly, and, naturally, its f/2.8 constant aperture speeds up autofocus, makes manual focus easier, enables you to work with longer teleconverters, and gives you even more options in low light, or for differential focus.

Aside from the weight, there are just a couple of down sides. It suffers from flare when light enters straight into the lens. It is a little finicky on a few older and lower end bodies. The nearest focus distance is 1.5 metres. It's also a G-type lens, which means no aperture ring, and therefore will not work well with older manual focus cameras, although it is a superb choice for both DX digital and film cameras such as the F5 and F6.

If you think I'm harping on the weight rather a lot, then consider this. The 70-200 is designed to balance with a deep body SLR, such as an F5, D1, D2X, or any of D100, D200 or F6 with the requisite battery pack. Obviously you can fit it to a D70, D80, or a D200 without the battery pack, but, unless it's on a tripod (in which case you should switch off VR, thereby losing one of the lens's main advantages), it will balance badly and be hard to handle. This means that you are effectively committed to 2.5 kg for the camera and lens combination, or 2.8 kg with a flash.

Ultimately, this is a top professional lens to produce top professional results. For most kinds of photography, and for most sizes of print, the 18-200 VR will do just as well, costs 1/3 of the price, and is 1/3 of the weight. But if you want to own and use just one truly great lens in your entire life, consider making it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tack Sharp!!, 4 Nov. 2007
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
I am a semi-pro photographer and have had this lens for a few months. I am an event and sports photographer and have used this lens for photographing about ten games at my local professional football club. The pictures have to be sharp and my cameras and lens have to be able to deal with anything the professional game can throw at it, ie low light, changes in light, fast shutter speeds and sharp pictures which need to be uploaed to the football clubs website within minutes of the half-time and the end of the game. If the lens wasn't tack sharp then the pictures just could not be used. This lens delivers all what is needed from it and covers all requirements.

The lens is well balanced and well proportioned. It feels great to hold on the camera body and the VR (vibration reduction) is in my opinion, the best I have used. Its not a cheap lens but if you want professional results you need to spend this type of money.

Thats two great reviews!! If you need more then Digital Photographer magazine had a shoot off against a number of other lenses, including independants and Canon and it won the shoot off. Save up and buy it, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best lens I've ever owned, 6 July 2008
Paul W (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
I'm a keen amatuer photgrapher - had a bonus from work a few years ago and bought one of these second hand ( still £900! ).

I've taken a lot of photos with various lenses and this stands head and shoulders above anything else.

So why did I just also buy a Nikon 18-200mm for my new Nikon D60?

Weight and size! There's nothing subtle about this lens - it's huge! So while it gives amazing results it is very heavy if hiking ( where I take most of my photos ). So if I go on a days hike I take the 18-200. If I go out specifically just to take photos I take the 70-200.

I recently did a careful test between the 18-200 and 70-200. Even at the centre of the picture at the 18-200's best aperture( around f8-f11 ) the 70-200 blows it away. Sharpness you can't belive and resolves details the 18-200 simply misses.

Wide open both lenses don't perform quite as well. However the 70-200 is still very good. The 18-200 suffers badly with softness in the corners wide open. The 70-200 still looks quite sharp regardless.

If you can afford it and have a strong back - get the 70-200.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing lens, 6 July 2009
Anthony Betts "CabanSail" (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
Before outlaying quite a lot of money I read up on this lens a lot. Having had the lens only a few weeks I have been using it a lot as it's the new toy. It is quite heavy, so I will probably target my use in the future. I did not find very much negative about this lens & so far it has exceeded my expectations. The only issue really is the cost, which is considerable for an amateur. I have mainly been using this lens with my TC17 Teleconvertor which, on a D300, gives an effective range (35mm equiv)of 180mm-510mm at f4. It has been great for candid shots & am really dying to get into some nature photography soon. The AF Lock buttons on the front of the lens are an excellent feature & very useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect on DX - Almost Perfect on FX, 19 Aug. 2009
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
Yes, this good lens. In fact it's a very good lens indeed. No question that the bokeh is superb, in-focus subjects are tack-sharp. It is ideally suited to portraiture. VR gives you the ability to hand hold shots which would otherwise require a tripod, and the zoom action is smooth and precise. Focus is swift and silent. I love this lens so much. Unfortunately there is one fly in the ointment. It's a well known and discussed flaw which you will no doubt have already seen discussed and debated in forums across the Internet photographic community. That is of course, a very noticeable light fall off towards the far edges and corners of frame when attached to a FX camera body at certain apertures. Some people will tell you that this isn't a problem and that you should be centering your sublect in the frame. No photographer should compose a picture with important elements near the edges. Well, I beg to disagree. If I want vignetting and soft focus in the corners of my shots, I'll add them in post in Photoshop thank you very much. Luckily, if you're shooting DX, you'll experience none of these issues. For you, this really is the perfect telephoto lens. For those like myself on FX, well the fussy ones like me look forward to the release of its successor, the VR II, in November 2009. Hopefully the vignetting and soft corners will have been tamed somewhat. The nano crystal coat will banish the worst excesses of flare and ghosting, and the new VR will make an extremely competent lens just a touch more special. There's even a new autofocus priority mode into the bargain. Don't get me wrong, this is still a wonderful lens even on FX, and I've taken some of my best portrait shots with it, but it really does have room for improvement. I'd advise prospective purchasers shooting FX to bide their time and see what November brings. Happy snapping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic lens - yes even on FX!, 26 July 2009
M.I (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
I've had this lens since last Autumn, purchased specifically for wedding photography. Sorry to be boring in description but it really is one of the holy three for me (along with the 24-70 and 14-24 lenses). It's absolutely unreal, a beautiful, beautiful lens and well worth the hefty asking price. I've read about a few issues some photographers have been having with soft corners and vignetting on full-frame cameras. This seems to affect shooting wide open for landscapes the most (or at least that's where the majority of criticism comes from) Personally I would never shoot landscapes at f2.8 and I'd prefer to use one of the aforementioned lenses instead. Even in the instances where vignetting occurs, I can crop or - in some instances - leave the vignetting in, I'd only add one later in post-production! For super-shooters who demand edge-to-edge sharpness, regardless, maybe it's worth hanging on for the rumoured upgrade to this lens but to be honest with you, I wouldn't bother. For the majority of shooters 70-200 on either DX or FX is simply sublime.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 years on..., 25 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
... and I've finally bought another lense (18-70). In all that time I've only ever had this quality lense attached to my D1H. It's amazing. Have never been bothered by the weight as it's well balanced when carried by the tripod mount. Recently I've used it on a newly purchased D300 and am still blown away by how clear the image is. It's just so, um, usable!

Something to consider about the price (believe me you DO (as commented on by another reviewer) forget what you've paid immediately you start using this beauty) is that it still costs the same as I paid 3 years ago. Depreciation? What's that then! Check out the second hand values. I think that speaks volumes!

So, not the most technical review but I hope you get the gist of how exciting I find using this lense. I am an amateur photographer and I DO have to save for purchases such as this but it's well worth it...

5.0 out of 5 stars I photograph sports, 23 Sept. 2013
Ian Moyes (Qala, Gozo, Malta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
I bought this lens because I photograph football. It focusses INSTANTLY and the clarity is FABULOUS. I can't speak for how it compares with the VRII version but, it's £600 cheaper and that's good enough for me. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
Simply amazing lenses! On the heavy side but surely worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic lens!, 14 Mar. 2013
Amazon Customer (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor (Electronics)
Very sharp lens as expected for the price and from Nikon. A bit heavy when carrying it around all day, though the result is worthwhile.

Nikon Af-S 70-200/2.8 Vr Ifed G Nikkor