on 23 February 2004
I remember being blown away by the original Tomb Raider on the PC. I don't think my computer got switched off until I had finished the game and even then just so I could get some sleep and then start all over again.
Well, the same thing happened when I fired up Prince of Persia on the XBOX. This game is all that Tomb Raider was and so much more. Incredibly fluid motion, great controls, top graphics (the levels are stunning) and the perfect blend of puzzle solving, sword fighting and, of course, acrobatics.
This game is well worthy of a five star rating with the only criticism being that you might finish it too soon and sit around pining for sequel. Move over Lara - your top-heavy acrobatics days are numbered.
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2004
I just finished The Sands of Time this afternoon. It is a brilliant game, not too repetitive and full of new challenges. The thing I liked particularly about it, was that I felt that I was making good progress throughout. The design of the game is fantastic, a Tomb Raider style, mixing skills and puzzles, but the detailing is much more imaginative and creative, there were no gaps in walls etc. I would recommend this game, it's a great 3D platformer, and I can't fault it! (P.S. I'm a 30 something female)
on 1 March 2004
What a refreshing change to play something as polished as this. It's amazing looking, plays brilliantly and is challenging without being frustrating. I class myself as an average skill gamer rather than a gaming freak with the reflexes of a bluebottle and this is perfection. Not since Halo have I played a game so faultless and fun. The graphic effects are incredible and the animation is slick and full of character. I come from a games development background and take my hat off to the people who laboured over this quality item.
Play it now!
on 6 January 2004
Having played the US version, I can confidently recommend you buy this game the very minute it is released. Everything has been done to perfection: the graphics, sound, lighting and controls are all exemplary.
It could be classed as a "platform" game, but what you are really presented with is the chance to play as the most acrobatic game character ever conceived. I won't go into too much of the plot as I don't want to spoil it, so all I will say is you are guaranteed to have fun from the off.
The XBox version also includes the original Prince Of Persia game from all those years ago, so when you've finished the new one you can indulge in some gaming nostalgia.
Highly recommended.
0Comment33 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2005
I've been waiting to get this game for a LONG time. I wasn't really sure whether it was worth me buying and I didn't really like the idea of renting it out at Blockbuster for nearly a fiver. As it is, I managed to buy a second hand version (no manual or origional box) for a fiver, so I think you can agree, already it was worth the money.
Graphic-wise, Prince of Persia looks fantastic, his attacks are smooth, with wide, varied areas that are nicely interacted with (that includes water, drapes, furniture, walls; pretty much anything and everything can be used or hit). The in-game movies looked very slick (though my second hand vers did stutter at points) with some very cool rain effects.
Vocal and music wise I was very impressed. There is no constant 'battle theme' and seems to change randomly but always matches the mood of the location. Generally there is no BGM (back-ground music) apart from a few 'special' loactions. The Vocal talents were very good. The Prince sets the game out as if he were telling a story, and you constantly hear him making remarks in and out of the story, whether they be annoyed maons about his female companion (which are pretty funny) to 'Shall I continue' and 'Very well' when you enter in and out of the pause status, to my favourite comments like 'No, no, that didn't happen, may I try again?' for the Game Over screen.
Sound effects were also very good and changed with whatever you hit, moved, jumped or ran on.
Okay now for the biggie; the gameplay. As I said, the Prince moves very smoothly (750 movements in game-thats not 750 attacks just movements) and I never had a problem with the controls (although I wasn't used to being able to just 'aim' the thumbstick at an enemy or pole and just hit or jump to it with out locking on first- this is a plus side in the end).
Strangely I found what made this game far too easy wasn't so much the diffuculty of the enemies or puzzles, but the easinest of just being able to go back in time and re-doing an action that coaused your death. Without revealing too much of the game; here's an example: at one point I had to do a very fiddly wall jump but I fell to my death, so with a simple hold of the left trigger I can try again- a bit like having 'lives' but you can choose how far back you go (with a certain limit). By the time I complete the jump I've run out of sand to go back in time, but as soon as I find an enemy or sand cloud (which is pretty frequent) I can refill the bar up. Simple. In fact the hardest part of the game is when you don't have the dagger at all, as you have to go wa-ay back again: much more like a traditional platformer. The enimies do get more difficult the further you get into the game, but to be honest (as far as I can remember) theres only about eight or nine of them excluding bosses, and again, so long as you can go back in time it's not that hard to kill them.
One of the best things about the game is the fact unlike most platformers you don't have to collect 100 coins or something in each 'level' (technically there are no levels as the game seamlessly moves from one area to the other). You can pick up more sand 'bars' (bit like Zelda's magic bar) and increase your health, but you'll most likley found these places without even trying).
I did enjoy the puzzle element to the game, and fans of the Legend of Zelda series (like myself) would do well to bag a cheap copy of this game as they're very simular in a lot of ways. Good news is that after you complete the game you unlock the origional Prince of Persia.
Replay wise I would say that this isn't that good as a pro gamer could complete it in days (I did it in 3 nights), BUT you will enjoy it, so it's worth having if you have a lot of games and fancy playing it another day.
Overall I guess 4 stars may be a little strong, but for the price I got it for and the amount of fun I had (which is a common ignorance in games) this was a pretty good and beutiful game.
on 14 March 2004
When you start the game you're going to notice that the prince is telling a story of what happened in his past. You start off by taking over the maharajah's estate with your father's army. This is a basic tutorial on how to play the basic controls of the game if you couldn't bother to read the manual (I didn't cuz my manual was in dutch, french and german....). You soon learn that your main character is one of the most athletic people on the world who is able to run on walls, swing on poles, jump off walls and more to get to a near impossible to reach ledge, floor or platform.
As soon as you've learnt the basic controls you're going to have to take the dagger of time. As soon as you get it you see a brief cutscene of you unleashing the devastating sands of time and changing everybody apart from you, the vizier who was one of the people persuading you to unleash the sands, farah a mysterious girl who helps you and very few others into "sand demons".
As you expect your mission is to free everybody of the curse which the sands created. Now you use the dagger to rewind, slow down and even fast forward time to help you cure everybody of the curse. You also use the dagger of time to destroy the sand demons. The dagger will come in extremely useful to prevent yourself from death by rewinding time just before being splattered to smithereens when falling down a cliff or by getting your life back in a fight.
The gameplay of this game is excellent for the platform part of the game beating every other platformer including ratchet and clank, tomb raider and zelda whilst the fighting part of the game still offers you quite a wide variety of moves to do and ways to kill the enemies. The thing that will strike you the most about this game is how easy it is to control your character. The player responds immediately to your controller.
The graphics to this game are absolutely stunning. The environment is always beautiful to look at with the hazy and blurry effects instead of making the game look bad make the game look good. The character models also look very nice, they are solid and you can even see the fingers of the hands perfectly.
The sound is what the game needs to make it that much more pleasing to play. You occasionally hear the prince talking to himself giving you hints. And when your prince dies he says 'no that's not how it went.' Depending on what surface you walk on the noise your character makes changes depending on the chunk of wood, woosh of water, clank of metal or stomp of stone.
This game does however have a few bad points just like any others.
1. The camera can occasionally kinda mess up making it harder to get to the next ledge.
2. The fighting doesn't have enough variety and can get very repetitive making it easy to learn the trick on how to defeat the enemy.
3. The game just seems too easy and short, in 3 hours I finished 38% of the game.
However even with those 3 bad points of the game Ubisoft deserve yet again another applause for giving us another great game. Ubisoft are starting to make at least 1 great game per month and looking like big contenders for this years best games developers award. This game is great with hardly any cons and deserves to be in your game collection. Finnish the prince's story and wait for the next Prince of Persia.
9/10 92%
on 25 August 2004
Those who played the original Prince of Persia will probably remember it for the giant leaps, traps and button-pressing puzzles. This new version, despite being some 15 years older, still has these core gameplay mechanics at heart.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is the very epitome if a 'platform' game; be it by running across the walls, jumping between poles or just making a plain old leap of faith. There is one major new feature though, the ability to control time.
Using the handy dagger you find early in the game, you can rewind mistakes you make mid-game. Even if you slightly mistimed that jump and end up a lifeless lump on the floor, you can go back that vital few seconds to before you were in trouble. While it may seem like a gimmick this does in fact add another dimension to the game, removing frustrations like having to repeat a large section of the level that most games of this genre suffer from.
Other small touches make this game truly enjoyable, from the interesting way you gain extra health to the Prince's at times amusing inner monologue. Even the camera, the Achilles heel of most 3D platformers, isn't much of a problem.
The combat in the game is on the surface quite simple, but tricks you can use with your time-controlling dagger and the way you must stab enemies in a certain way to dispatch them adds a certain level of skill, as well as making it a nice variation to the normal hacking and slashing.
The main problem with the game, and what stops it from being five stars, is the fact that it is really quite short. You could well complete it in a few hours with little difficulty. However since the game is so enjoyable to play, you may later find that you want to go through the whole thing again. The original Prince of Persia is available under certain conditions in all three console versions, and this does add some longevity to the somewhat brief game.
Overall, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time comes highly recommended. The game is finely crafted, slick and energetic. Whilst it may be too short and not much of a challenge, the core game itself does more than enough to make it a worthwhile purchase.
on 17 February 2004
This is pure class. In the xbox game rankings it probably comes somewhere close under Halo (number 1) and Project Gotham 2(Number 2). It is a combination of puzzle and fighting with a good storyline thrown in for good measure (a little like tombraider). The story is told as a series of flashbacks which mean that before you play a piece of the game you see short pieces of what you will be doing. My only criticsm is that about 14% into the game you have to kill a certain character (i won't spoil it for you), but this is very hard. It's not hard to DO but is hard to figure out WHAT to do. I took about 7 hours before i figured it out. This apart, this is a GREAT game
on 28 October 2012
This is such a great game, came in good quality and was very quick at arriving. Overall I'd say this product is a must have for anyone who likes POP games.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2014
Great game especially if you like all the other Prince of Persia games, although there is a level which is very hard but I found the answer online.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse