5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive
Don't buy this thinking it's another "School Days" - you should already have that album and play it whenever you need some inspiration.

Published 6 months ago by CJ Mann

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best by far !
I am a Stanley Clarke fan and own most of his albums. This one is far too mainstream for me. There are some good moments but overall, I have to say I am disappointed. I expected more from such a great artist. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad record but there is far too much Pop and not enough Jazz in it for me.
Published on 11 May 2010 by Ray C

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 9 Jan 2014
CJ Mann "cJlovesJazz" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1 2 to the Bass (Audio CD)

Reading the liner notes of this one, it was made following a prolonged period spent on film scores and on getting interested in other forms of music. So you get rap on the title track, lovely soul vocals on "Where is the Love", something cinematic and deeply funky on "Anna (She Loves the Good Life)" and astonishing solo acoustic bass on "Touch".

Stanley Clarke is just not like other bassists: he could play all the bass parts on this record but he leaves room for guest players, including Jimmy "Fingerlicking" Earl and Armand Sabal-Lecco. Of course the solos are instantly recognisable as Stanley - and that's why you're interested in the first place.

This album includes a tribute to Larry Graham and showcases some other 'Lords of the Low End' but, make no mistake, it's Stanley on the bass, bass, bass, bass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 29 Aug 2008
Mr. T. Gall (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1 2 to the Bass (Audio CD)
Stanley Clarke is without doubt is one of the greatest pioneers of the bass and this album shows him hitting more of the main stream. Great playing and those who may not be such big jazz fans should also enjoy it! Would def. recommend it to all!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best by far !, 11 May 2010
Ray C (Luton, England) - See all my reviews

1 2 to the Bass
1 2 to the Bass by Stanley Clarke (Audio CD - 2003)