5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful introduction to the Kroke band
Published on 11 Jun 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Good recording but not what I wanted
Sorry didn't like it - nothing at all wrong with the disc - just not what I hoped for Had hoped that it was the same as the 2013 Prom concert on TV which isn't
Published 9 days ago by John & Judy F

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful introduction to the Kroke band, 11 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
Nigel Kennedy inspires a wide range of responses in people, from great admiration to downright disapprobation. However, with this album you should set aside whatever you think of him. He doesn't impose himself on the Kroke Band at all - he merely soars above their fabulous eastern harmonies and textures in the appropriate places and vanishes when he is no longer needed; he compliments their music, rather than imposing himself upon it. If you are a fan, however, there is still lots to enjoy - you can sit back and admire his wonderful tone, particularly in the upper registers of the instrument where he really shines.
As soon as I heard a burst of this album on Radio Three, I knew that it was a real must-have; in fact, it is completely addictive. I cannot praise this disc enough - it will be on my stereo all summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous mix of musical genres. Brilliant., 25 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
East is East is a fabulous collection of tracks. I first heard clip on Radio 4 just having returned from several days in Krakow where I spent time at Auschwitz and Birkenau and wandering around the old Jewish quarter of Kamierz. I was immediately struck by all kinds of memory and thoughts. I had just been in pre-World War feel restaurants in Krakow's main square, such as the famous Hawelka, and the atmosphere is well-preserved here in this cd, bringing with it the sadness of the vast plain traversed in either direction over centuries by Mongols, Tartars, Russians, and Germans between Vienna, Berlin, Kiev and beyond. The music is a wonderful mix of the Continental market-café style, East European Gypsy harmonies, and Jewish-Arabic quarter-tone. I had, too, just read Paul Celan's famous Todesfuge, a major theme of which is the dance music played by prisoners accompanying victims of the Holocaust while working and dying: 'He shouts dig this earth deeper you others sing up and play ... stick your spades deeper you lot there you others play on for the dancing'. Having been to Auschwitz, this great poem added for me a deep melancholic sense to the tracks particularly track 11, which is the outstanding one. Called 'Time 4 Time', it veers in and out of an Eastern quarter-tone melody but at the same time does something analogous in the rhythm - abruptly and brilliantly - before changing key and resolving tonally through the most unexpected and beautiful key changes. Sadness and joy. Think Bartok Rumanian dances, Continental café piano accordion, Jewishness, Polish village life, and all the land down and round to the Middle East. Nigel Kennedy plays unpretentiously and flawlessly. He has a genius for crossing boundaries, - like Paul Simon in South Africa - and listening to this music is an education in musical scale, the joy of melancholy, and the crossing of national, racial and geographical boundaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigel Kennedy, fluent in music, learns new dialect!, 25 Feb 2005
R. J. Willis "richard28093" (Warboys, Cambs. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
I was introduced to this work by a cousin of respected taste. It is addictive! I was immediately reminded of the collaboration between Yehudi Menuin and Ravi Shankar, the results of which I first heard as a teenager 30+ years ago, (see East Meets West, available from Amazon).
Music is a universal language with each civilisation adding dialect. Nigel Kennedy has once again proved his versatility by adding another dialect to his knowledge of the language. Whatever the origins of the pieces, over which there is some contention, he has complemented the Kroke Band in order to produce a unique interpretation. You must hear this at least twice!

4.0 out of 5 stars How did the polish fall under such a heavy Balkan influence is beyond me..., 10 Oct 2007
Anton R. Ivanov (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
The CD contains a weird mix of melodies. While some are Polish, most are quite clearly of Balkan origin. On top of that even the Polish ones have a considerable deal of Balkan spice added to them (most other reviewers mistake it for gypsy influence).

Ajde Jano is distinctly serbian. Yovano mome Yovanke (under the name of Yovano, Yovanke) is a rendition of one of the most popular Bulgarian folk songs (it is on nearly every Bulgarian folk CD). Dafino, Vino, Time 4 Time and Kukush quite obviously trace their roots to that part of the world as well. In fact it is nearly impossible to mistake them because they are layed out to Balkan style rhythms (7/8 or 8/8) which are not used anywhere else in Europe (including Poland).

It is a very interesting CD. Very good rendition of Balkan (and some Polish) folk. If you are expecting Polish folk in Nigel Kennedy rendition prepare for a surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars beyond beauty, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
This is one of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard In my life, together with 'the doors concerto' This album makes you want to dance, and will make you want to cry (in a nice way, if that makes sense..)

If you love music, buy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars East Meets East - Nigel Kennedy and Kroke, 25 July 2011
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
The best CD I've bought in years. Haunting melodies, superb musicianship and many stand out tracks (Ajde Jano, Lullaby for Kamila, Kazimierz and Time 4 Time). Just wish I'd been able to see Kroke when we visited Krakow earlier this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 26 Jan 2007
Solomon Major (South Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
I just wish to second what others have said before me: (1) this record demands a number of listenings. I am not a huge classical violin fan (I admit I cannot even remember why I purchased this disk) and this CD sat on my shelf for years. Once in a while, I'd listen to Ajde Jano, which I liked quite a bit and that was it (BTW, not only is this disk a departure for Kennedy, but Atlas shines on this track in a way lacking in her solo work). But over time, I have come to have such a tremendous respect for this disk--once I listened to it enough to really get into the spirit of it. It is incredible!

(2) That said, this is not really a classical violin disk, per se. As another reviewer noted, Kennedy complements Karoke but does not impose himself at all--what great modesty and restraint for a player of Kennedy's renown! Bottom like, this is an awesome E. European folk disk accompanied by some of the most inspired and flawless violen playing that I have (in my admittedly limited experience) ever heard.

This is just a wonderful, fun and eclectic disk that has much to offer music lovers of a number of different persuasions. (I must admit that Ajde Jano is still my favorite track.)

5.0 out of 5 stars East Meets East, 1 July 2011
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant CD with Nigel Kennedy and the Kroke Band. I first owned it as a Cassette tape which was eaten by the player in my car. I then rediscovered it on Spotify, but became fed up with all the adverts. I have downloaded it onto my lap top, so now have the best of both worlds.
It is a mixture of folk, eastern european sounds and echoes of the middle east. Many of the tracks are haunting. It is best heard as a whole work, not just as individual 'songs'. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars East meets West, 3 May 2009
Mrs. M. A. Parker (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
Not only is Nigel Kennedy a brilliant violin player but combined with the haunting music of the East and the Kroke band, this CD is totally different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your Mind!, 18 Jan 2004
Andrew Fawcett (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: East meets East (Audio CD)
Listen to some life enhancing music. Forget Mr Kennedy's image, this music comes from the soul.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa7623780)

East meets East
East meets East by Nigel Kennedy & Kroke Band (Audio CD - 2003)