5.0 out of 5 stars Living with the Sea Pathfinder
I previously owned the HUGE green Casio Outdoor thing and when that gave up I missed the compass and barometer etc BUT did not miss the size.

I used a Tide Watch for windsurfing before and started looking for a replacment for the Big Green One but constantly found I had to put on spectacles to read even the time LOL

So when I spotted the SP it just...
Published on 11 Oct 2006 by Trevor Hibdige

1.0 out of 5 stars I do not recommend this watch
Published on 26 Aug 2010 by tripp

5.0 out of 5 stars Living with the Sea Pathfinder, 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: Casio Sport SPF-40-1VUR Sea Pathfinder Triple Sensor Watch (Watch)

So when I spotted the SP it just looked right. It is large-ish but fits nicely on the wrist. Incredibly easy to view and read. Easy to use ALL of the functions and has been thrown around in hot wet climates and freezing cold. All working fine.

If you are thinking about a compass/moon/tide/baromoter thing then go buy this. You won't find a better one to use and read. If it had mini GPS it would be perfect but they are still the size of a mobile phone !!!

BTW It IS available in some different colours (black and shiny). Watch out for the Stailess version. It doesn't have some of the features. Check the Casio website for intimate details.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, 2 Oct 2010
I have owned this watch for a few years now and it has never let me down.

As a scuba diving instructor I can tell you this watch can stand going down to over 35 metres multiple times and keep on ticking.
In addition to withstanding water pressure this watch has survived over 2 years of being banged about, dropped, smacked against metal dive equipment and having a generally hard life.

I have not even had to replace the battery and its still working to this day.

Great watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent all rounder, 6 Jan 2009
Mr. D. Cameron (Coatbridge, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having previously relied on my faithful G-Shock for the past 5 years it was time to upgrade. It was a straight choice between the SPF-40 or the similar Pro-Trek. Went for the Sea-Pathfinder and couldnt be happier. Big face, reassuringly heavy, and with loads of functions including barometer, countdown and split timer stopwatch, tide graph, lunar phase graph, digital compass-the works. Spend 15 minutes aquainting yourself with instruction manual and its fairly simple to operate. A recommended buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio Sea Pathfinder Watch, 7 Feb 2009
N. Collis Bird "Nick" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a must, not just for sailors, but any one who lives close to the sea. It tells you everything you need to know, e.g. what's the tide doing ? is it possible to walk the dogs on the beach?
I was so impressed I bought one as a present for a member of the Lifeboat (RNLI) and they were delighted

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't find anything else as good as this, 28 Dec 2010
My boyfriend had one of these for about 6 years and it was still working fine but the strap was wearing through and the batteries were one by one (there are 5) failing, so I wanted a replacement for him. I found others that looked a bit prettier but none of them had ALL the functions that this one does and in the end I just went for a straight replacement. I gave him the option of choosing one of the others - I could have returned it, unopened, if he'd wanted - but he didn't hesitate for a second. He loved the previous one and is delighted to have the same again. It goes in the sea, the shower, the sand etc and stays waterproof. It is invaluable for the tide chart and we've just rediscovered the snazzy night-time mode which puts the light on only when you tilt the watch towards your face. Cool.
Thoroughly recommended if what you are after is a functional watch, with tides, compass, temperature, alarms etc... Oh and it also tells the time and date :o)

4.0 out of 5 stars love wearing it, 10 Oct 2009
This is the watch that House MD wears (kutner bought him for secret santa) in the TV show

I love wearing this watch, its massive without being too big

4 stars instead of 5 because the compass can produce erroneous results even when taken off and completely flat :(

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Watch - Questionable Water resistance, 16 April 2008
Just ordered this watch from here with next day delivery and item arrived perfectly. Great Service!

The watch is packed with fetaures and looks pretty good. It's quite a chunky watch in terms of thickness and diameter but that suits the style of this watch.

I was interested to understand the definition of water resistance so emailed Casio directly. The response regrettably identified the same problem as you tend to find with all "water resistant" watches which is that you must not use the buttons whilst underwater as they are not sealed and will flood your time piece. The actual words from casio are:

"We can advise that this watch can be worn under water till the depth of 100 meters. The watch will be waterproof however if you happen to wear the watch while in water, please do not operate any of the buttons, due to water can enter through these parts 'if' in use"

As I said this apprears to be a common "small print" type problem that is easily missed. Personally I can't see the point of having any watch that can withstand depths of up to 100m if pressing the buttons will result in flooding. It must surely be easy for a button to get caught so ultimately that means avoid water at all costs. If you happen to drop it in the bath then you can retrieve it carefully I suppose but you're going to want to keep this dry haveing paid good money for it.

Same applies to most Suunto watches like the Core so as I said it's not uncommon, just quite a bizarre practice I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big, 13 Oct 2010
Don't underestimate the size of this thing. It does everything it is supposed to do, and possibly a lot more besides. I haven't checked whether it makes a cup of tea yet! But, it is big...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Clear Display and Easy to Use, 7 Jan 2010
D. Barry (Southampton) - See all my reviews
If you like gadgets which are practical, this is great for you. The large display is really clear which is most helpful when you are sailing and need to snatch a glance at the watch in outdoor conditions. I found the instructions to set up the watch easy to follow. As an international product, the only tide data for UK is London (inland city linked to sea via Thames), so not useful. However, a quick look on the web and you will find the tidal data for your local area and bingo!
At a glance you see the current position of the tide and strength of the Moon on the tide. Very useful to look at future tide predictions when planning a sail. Love the barometer and pretty good at predicting clear skies. The compass is reasonably acurate but I can't see anyone using it to sail by - more of a talking point. The reason it is not 5 stars is the Temperature reading, which gives the temperature of your wrist and is not useful. If you need the ambient temperature you can remove it and leave it for about 15 minutes and it is then fairly acurate - but would you? Timekeeping good and over 2 weeks stayed within 1 second of Rugby Clock. Overall pleased with this practical outdoor watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars I do not recommend this watch, 26 Aug 2010
This is quite honestly the worst watch I have ever bought. I owned one previously, and it was brilliant - right up to when the battery needed changing. It seems that the watch cannot be sealed after it has been opened, so it fogged up almost immediately and broke. I bought a replacement, which worked (badly) for 3 weeks before breaking. Casio repaired it, before it broke again a month later. Casio now say that it wasn't sealed properly (I assume, by them), so refuse to repair it (unless I pay 50), and refuse to replace it. I am now left (a year after I first asked for it to be repaired) with having to buy another new watch, having given up on ever getting a working watch. I will not buy another Casio - their service has been dreadful.