on 5 March 2012
I haven't had a pressure cooker since the days of the super-heavy long handled ones with gaskets that quickly didn't fit and lots of scary hissing. But watching Heston got me interested in having one again. This pressure cooker is great!!! It's light and astonishingly easy to use. At first I was worried that the instructions were too brief (they are, scarily so, and no recipes) but in fact that's because it really is very simple to use with a very effective valve which registers pressure clearly and responds quickly when you lower the heat.

Whilst it is a big investment I am really pleased with the quality of the materials and with the design - from small things like sensible handle design which means a large capacity pan still fits in your pan drawer to absolute confidence in the valve and the strength of the pan which is light but high quality precision cast stainless steel.
on 14 December 2011
The pressure cooker arrived exactly when expected and I am absolutely delighted with it. The quality is definitely as described and it works a dream. It has been in use every day since it arrived. The only thing that confuses me a little with regard to the cookbook I bought at the same time "Pressure Perfect is that Lorna Sass doesn't mention two levels of pressure, which this cooker has. But the instruction booklet is very good and so is the booklet with recipes.

I highly recommend this pressure cooker and am really glad I decided on a good quality PC.
on 28 November 2012
We've had several other leading brands of pressure cookers over a 30 year period and this one performs the best by far. Very quick and extremely quite compared to others. Works well on our induction hob. It's stainless steal and cleans beautifully.
We would recommend this to anyone and would consider buying this as a gift for family and friends.
It is more expensive than other brands but you get what you pay for and we feel it's worth the extra cost.
on 16 April 2014
We really liked this pressure cooker until the valve housing broke. We wrote to Kuhn UK and requested a replacement part under the 10 year warranty only to be told that it is only the metal pot housing that is covered by the 10 year warranty. All other parts -valve, handles, seals, steam deflector are considered to be spare parts which are only covered by a 1 year guarantee !! I think this is very misleading and the reference to a 10 year guarantee should be removed from the Amazon listing .
on 7 June 2012
I decided to buy this because I cook a lot of stews with cheaper cuts of meat (beef feet, oxtail, goat etc). The cooking time is greatly reduced. What used to take 3 hours can now be ready in 20-40 minutes. Incredible. As other reviewers have mentioned there is no scary hissing noise. The handles are ideal because you don't need to worry about long handles taking up room. The design is sleek with no extra grooves and fiddly bits to clean. I find it a good weight. It would be described as a heavy bottomed pan. With a slick of oil it is almost non-stick. My only quibble is the aluminium base doesn't extend to the edge of the pan. This means you do have to be careful that your flame isn't licking beyond it otherwise the stainless steel will discolour. And for heaven's sake don't follow Heston's suggestion to heat the pan up until its smoking. What was once stainless steel in colour is now copper on my pan :( I would also say to be careful when you're using the touch release method to reduce pressure. Steam escapes in all directions.

This is a lovely site on pressure cooking and reviews of Kuhn Rikon and other very good PC's: [...]

And a nice post about a visit to the factory in Switzerland: [...]

Btw it comes with good instructions and a few recipes. Between this and my Lodge cast iron skillet (love that word) I appear to have no need for my other pans. Wish I had these many years ago. Hopefully when I'm long gone someone will continue to make good use of them.
on 31 March 2013
This is an excellent product. Like many others I was initially scared; my mother covered the ceiling with boiling rice in my early youth. But this is easy to use and safe to operate.
Be careful about the capacity you need. I have a 6 litre one. But you can only use these things 2/3 full so that's 4 litres. I use it almost exclusively for making stock so that 4 litres yields about 2 litres; less if you're going to use ice filtration (thanks Heston). So making 4 litres of stock takes two batches which overall, seems to go on forever. Maybe I'll get another.
on 17 December 2012
Great product, but I bought this for pearl barley, beans and pulses, and for those who may wish to know, there are some things that actually cannot be cooked in the duromatic - barley included :-(

the manual (2012) p56, states that you cannot cook:-
'apple compote, cranberries, porridge (oat flakes), barley or other cereals (other than those listed on p73), peas, pasta, macaroni or rhubarb' as they all foam too much and could block the valve.

the cereals that you can cook in this are:- (p73 of manual 2012)
rice (parboiled), rice (risotto), rice pudding, brown rice soaked, brown rice unsoaked,brown rice (parboiled), wild rice (soaked), wild rice (unsoaked), semolina, corn meal fine (polenta), corn meal coarse

On the total plus side, this is a really nicely made unit, which I use for brown rice, pulses and beans. I loath tinned butter beans in that slimy salty water (usa readers- large lima beans), but I have found pressure cooked butter beans to be sublime, fresh, creamy and far superior to their tinned counterparts. I cook large batches of Biona wild rice mix in this cooker (amazing creamy tasting rice mix that seems to taste unlike any other), freezing 3oz portions ready for when I have to make a super fast meal, and this comes out a treat in here. There is a great web site - fastcooking.ca which is a great resource and really accurate on timings and amounts.

Cooking for 2 non meat eaters, the 6.0 litre is a great size for us, and am pleased I chose this size of unit. The unit is easy to clean, and following the cooking guidelines on the fastcooking.ca site (I am not affiliated to it) I've had no burnt bottoms or dried on food to tackle. So pleased I bought this unit, I think most vegans and veggies will love the fast cooking time and amazing flavour of brown rice and pulses etc - its fabulous!

Even though barely is not officially 'supported' :-) I dare say you could cook it if you stuck to low volumes, in order to account for any foaming. Keen to hear folks experiences with barley if they have gone ahead.
on 23 November 2012
I was unsure about whether or not to go for a pricey one or if they were all the same and I would just be wasting my money. I came to the conclusion it was a tool and I've never regretted spending a bit more on spanners and sockets and the like. Nothing worse than cheap tools, especially when quality ones often make the job a pleasure to do.

My thinking has proved sound. It's a pleasure to use and the mechanic in me can see that it's perfectly safe. Quite cleverly so, actually.

As far as pressure cooking in general goes, I can't believe I've left it this long to get one. It's so quick and uses so little gas. I may buy another one of a different design to expand my options. It will definitely be one made by Kuhn Rikon.
on 10 January 2011
Been using this pressure cooker for a month now and it's my favourite toy in the kitchen so far! Casseroles, ham, chicken - you name it - all come out succulent and tender. I never had such outstanding results using any other cooking pots. It saves time enormously, especially you feel it when you get home from work and cannot be bothered about some complicated meal, cannot face takeaways and want just some homemade, healthy, hearty meal. Taking into consideration that it also saves me a little fortune on electicity bills it's no wonder I love my new shiny Kuhn Rikon?
on 16 June 2013
I love this pressure cooker it's much better than my old one less noisy and a nicer shape and easier to store in cupboard.