on 12 October 2007
Undisputed leader of the home videogame market was Atari's truly revolutionary 2600 console. In fact, the pixellated magic produced by this teak-effect box of jiggery-pokery helped Atari shift over 30 million units and the 2600 (or VCS) is now universally regarded as the godfather of home consoles. Even today, videogame aficionados fondly remember that primitive, thumb-numbing Atari joystick with blister-tinged affection. Which is just as well, because ingenious boffins have now managed to cram 10 classic Atari games into an officially licensed replica Atari joystick!

The 10-in-1 really puts the "joy" in joystick, and you'll be unable to put it down, even when it's not plugged in. In fact, position it next to your PS2/Xbox/GameCube and see which one friends immediately go for. This truly is the most fantastic piece of plastic we've seen for years and, at less than the price of a single PS2 game, a snip to boot. Game - and life - over!

The Games

Pong®
Circus Atari(tm)
Real Sports Volleyball(tm)
on 2 April 2009
I must admit I asked for this console in order to relive my misspent days, circa 1983-84, playing Asteroids in student bars. Little did I realise that the Asteroids on this console was THE original Atari version, much more primitive and clunky, but still good - and totally TWO dimensional fun! The other games are a very mixed bunch - I'd have liked to see Space Invaders (SI) in there but other 'plug & play' SI consoles are available. Of course, the enjoyment these retro-boxes give is probably miniscule compared to the Wii's of this world, but I certainly have had some fun with this one.
on 11 April 2006
Ahhh...bak to the days when you didn't need shoulder buttons & analog sticks to play your games (cue dreamy music) All you needed was one giant stick & a big red button...Of course this meant that most games were ultra-simple & could be finished in a couple of hours. Most of the games on this device simply do not provide you with that much entertainment. Pong is just too easy, as is the volleyball game. Asteroids on the other hand is just too hard once you get past the first few levels. Breakout is the only game that I actually play from time to time...The other games do not hold up at all. If you want a trip down memory lane, then go for it, but don't expect it to last all that long.
on 14 October 2012
I purchased this unit to use at work for a recent event. The unit has 10 games although the main game used on the day was pong. For people who remember the original atari it evoked happy memories, for the youngsters a sense of "what the...." but then had to have a go. Although the pong game is not the original (colour not black and white) it is a faithful representation and made grown men behave like 10 year olds again.great fun
on 19 January 2011
Easy to set up, works with HD LCD TV which I wasnt sure about, course you have to have the right connection sockets on your TV.

All games are faithfully reproduced and play well, certainly as well as they can given their origin; they are no match in speed, grpahics or colour for todays game systems but game play is there. Gravitar is easily the most addictive and for any old spectrum users out there this is the game thaty Thrust by Firebird software was based upon - very tricky but addictive.

The joystick itself is sufficiently well put together and all arrived well packed with no damage to product. Having to re-set after each game to select another is a common feature on these systems but it always worries me that the next re-set will be last...but so far so good!

I have several of these retro console re-builds and this is one of the best after the C64 one. If you like these then worth adding to your collection.
on 3 July 2011
Firstly I'll say that I (mostly) knew what i was getting with this. This joystick is essentially an Atari 2600 home games machine (released in the last 70's) in a small joytstick. The joystick is exactly like those that originally shipped with the console, so no complaints there.

For me it was as simple as connecting it to my TV - it worked right away. Note that it requires batteries to operate (4 AA). A buddy and myself played with it all last night, the batteries lasted well. Total nostalgia trip - but I must say I think those who don't recall this system will be surprised at how addictive the games are. Fun, as you'll find out, has little to do with graphics and sound - it's the gameplay that counts.

The Atari 2600 played games from ROM's, and those ROMS were 128kb in size. That ought to give you an idea on what the graphics and sound is like. It's basic, but as I said, still fun.

I docked a point off my game rating. That's entirely down to the choice of games. I imagine everyone would have expected this to include Space Invaders and Pac-Man - they were THE games to have on the Atari 2600. Sadly, they're missing. I'd assume this was a licensing issue, but it's still a real pity. Of the games that are here I think I could have done without Pong (you can't even play against someone else), Breakout, and Volleyball. They're basically rubbish.

But how about focusing on the good? Missile Command is here, and that's fun. Asteroids is here too. But the one I was really surprised with - it's maddeningly addictive - is Circus Atari. Bouncing that little stick figure up to burst the "balloons" is terrific fun.

Emulation - which this is - is very good.

So that's about it, really. Other than the missing games we've had a blast playing what is here. I can see myself idly playing them some more, too. This is a solid bit of fun which I can't fault really. Recommended.
on 25 June 2010
Brilliant, Brought back so many memories. Well worth it :)
Just a word of advice though: It did not work for me initially with the connections supplied in the box. I had to purchase an adaptor to connect the leads into a scart socket then plug that into my TV, it only cost a couple of quid extra and it would worth it.
on 28 June 2015
good fun , by today's standards graphics are shocking but from a nostalgia perspective - great and i loved still playing the games. Really easy to work just plug into telly and your away .
on 9 October 2010
If like me your into retro, then don't buy this. The joystick is rubbish and totally unresponsive. The games are slow, and to be honest you would be better off buying one of the Atari arcade hits on CD for the PC. (If you have one) Waste of money
on 16 September 2013
never gets used sits in draw feels cheep and nasty would not recommend getting it save your money and buy one at a swap meet for $1