Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 July 2003
There are a lot of singles out there. Most of them, let's be honest, are pretty rubbish. Some you know you like after hearing them for the first time. A few more grow on you after a couple of listens. And very rarely, you get one that you know you like the first time you hear it and then it grows on you some more. What's even rarer is when you can say that about a whole album. The astonishing "By the Way" by Red Hot Chili Peppers was such a one and of course that sold in truckloads. But this album also fits that description perfectly - so how come hardly anyone seems to have heard of it?
Check out River of Love for probably the best song in a superb collection of songs - a powerful yet gentle ballad that really suits her voice. Last single Thinking Over, Rain, A Reason and bonus track It Is You (I Have Loved) are also excellent but there really isn't a bad song on here.
How's this for a recommendation - I put this CD on in the car just before the start of a 500-mile journey, and left it on for the whole journey without getting tired of it. This is easily one of the best albums released this year. Buy it. And then buy your friends a copy. It is superb.
on 18 July 2003
This is a stunning debut album, packed from end to end with great songs. The UK version includes 2 extra tracks, including the full version of "It is you I have loved" from the Shrek soundtrack (though it's tough to listen to it without thinking of exploding birdies). The woman can write, and she can sing. *Boy* can she sing. Comparisons are odious, but this is a better effort than Vanessa Carlton's debut, and that was pretty good. In fact, Testimony features Abe Laboriel on drums (who was on Be Not Nobody), except for the rousing "A Reason" which features the incomparable Vinnie Colaiuta. If you haven't heard any of her songs, think a more gospel-oriented female Marc Cohen and you might get close, but that really doesn't do her justice. Look, just buy it, ok?
on 9 February 2004
I first caught sound of Dana Glover on Radio 2. (Thank God for stations that still offer variety in listening.) I can't really categorise her - she's sort of on the cusp of rock and country, but she has a fantastic voice and judging by the high-priced help amassed on this album, I'm not the only music-lover who rates her. (Actually, my brother thinks she's great too.) If you appreciate fine singer-songwriters then you have nothing to lose by buying this album and lots to gain.
on 1 July 2006
There is no other word to describe Dana Glover and this album 'Testimony'. It is oozing with class, the songs are gorgeous... all of them, it is exquisitely produced, the musicianship is awesome (drummers should note that Vinnie Couliatta lays down a few tracks on this) and that is why it has always left me miffed as to why this girl is'nt the star she should be (here in the UK anyway). Although, seeing what the public is sending to the top of the charts every week suggests that the chart-cd buying section of the public have'nt any idea about music and its production.

From the first second this album draws you in with its dreamy almost haunting intros and then locks you in with Danas gorgeous sultry voice, encapsulated finally by some of the finest studio work you are likely to hear, i swear few albums come away with this sort of sound laid down on them, it is clear that only the best musicians, technicians etc available were employed here, and boy does it show. This album from every angle is so smooth you could drink it, the only disappointment is that Dana probably didnt get the financial payoff for this wonderful work that she deserved, and why that is.... nobody will ever know. Buy this now,... its one of the best albums i have and ive had it for over two years now.
on 31 July 2005
I have been listening to this record for two years and it still is one of my all time favorites. My cat doesn't like it at all, because I tend to sing along with this superb record of a very talented and inspired singer, an album full of great and moving songs, great singing and great emotions.
A mix of soul and not on the least gospel, uplifting vibes, unresistable swing and a fantastic production. This record was one of the best produced records of 2003. R.e.s.p.e.c.t., Matthew Wilder!
If you are a true music lover, this record should be in your collection.
My cat and I wonder when Dana Glover will finally release a new record. Somebody knows about this?
I was really surprised by this debut album. I bought it after hearing "Thinking it over" on the radio - I thought she had a great voice, so took a chance. After having the album for a while now, I'm surprised that after that initial airing, I haven't heard her on the radio again since.
While in one respect there is nothing that groundbreakingly new here, Dana does have a brilliant voice - very strong, she can really belt out the tracks - and she plays piano ( not just a pretty face ). In one way you could class her as an older Vanessa Carlton ( if you really have to compare artists ).
For a debut you can't really fault this album: it has a brilliant opening track - "Rain" - which is probably the closest Dana gets to rock music. Its a very catchy song, it will definitely have you singing along.
A great start to her career, will be interesting to see how she develops from here.
on 2 January 2010
Testimony was a huge surprise for me. It was one of those rare random recommendations that absolutely got it right. I previewed the whole disc on Spotify, and that was enough to make me order it right away.

She's got a bluesy voice that can be pretty or gritty - she has amazing control and a wide variety of tone, which she can turn on a sixpence.

I find picking a highlight from this disc impossible. I like every song - 5 stars for all 13 tracks. I like whatever I'm listening to at whatever time. Right now, it's A Reason. Listen to that one, right to the end where she lets it rip. Or the next one, Maybe, its a ballad with some tasty piano work. Love it. Be sure to listen to the title track, too.

I can't fault this disc. Buy it.
on 21 January 2013
I nearly got blown away by the glowing reviews, so here is some balance. Really, I should have been warned when I saw a comparison with Vanessa Carlton, whom I found very poor. However,she does at least have a strong singing voice, though I do not like it. The vocal is strong and polished, the music the same, all very professional. She sings like a big star. But there is a very obvious slovenly lilt to the voice. It does not sound real, natural, warm, or personal. Big band, big backing vocals, it all sounds propped up by what money can buy, but really lacks the warm simplicity of a genuine personal touch. She is really just singing the songs, not living them. This goes to the charity shop.
on 26 February 2008
i'd never heard of Dana Glover before now and i'm pleasantly impressed by the album Testimony not my usual choice of music but fresh and a delight to have.

any new material i'd consider looking at.
on 5 November 2009
Dana played at an event I organised a few years ago. I didn't arrange the gig but asked for a CD before she played to hear her stuff. I haven't stopped listening since. I have a lot of music but I return to Testimony more than any other. Why oh why is there nothing beyond Testimomy to buy ... it's a tragedy that it ends with an amazing cd that barely anyone has heard of ... and people are voting for John and Edward ...