5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best kitchen gadgets I've ever bought!
I think it must be a sign that I’m getting on in my years but this Ovenproof Meat Thermometer is one of my favourite purchases of recent months.

Published 7 months ago by The Gadget Blokey

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but beware over-cooking large joints
Two things - firstly the item I received game from the USA and so, in my case, it was a 4 week wait! Secondly, compared to my previous oven proof thermometer, this item has a boil test setting, which I initially thought a good idea, but the performance of this item is typified by how a woefully slow reaction to temperature changes in large joints i.e its sensitivity is...
Published 5 months ago by DT

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best kitchen gadgets I've ever bought!, 9 Oct. 2014
The Gadget Blokey (North East England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: CDN Meat/ Poultry Ovenproof Thermometer, 54 to 88 C (Kitchen & Home)

I bought it as I had decided to get a little fancy in the kitchen when it comes to cooking my Sunday Roasts and try to do them slow-cooked, in order that they are more 'melt-in-the-mouth' when plated up. I had initially tried to achieve this effect via online calculators but I honestly found it too much of a headache trying to work out how long to cook what size joint at what temperature in a fan-assisted oven. One website just suggested getting an in-oven meat thermometer such as this and cooking the roast low until the correct temperature shows on the dial. This seemed like the easier (lazier) option and thus, it was ordered!

Delivery of the thermometer took about a week which is to be expected as it ships from the U.S. When it turned up it was very much as pictured, although the face of the dial as pictured now is a little different to how it is on mine it still shows at which temperatures different meats achieve a rare, medium or well done finish and finally where poultry is safe. Both the head and the stem are constructed from Stainless Steel but the stem feels incredibly light, almost to the point where it 'feels' insubstantial though I have seen nothing to concern me about its build quality. The head is a lot heavier which means when it is not stuck into a joint of meat it is a little unbalanced. It also comes with a black plastic sheath for the stem which has a 'BioCote' antibacterial finish to aid hygiene when not in use, but the manufacturers recommend the best practice of washing it both before and after using.

It is incredibly easy to use, simply insert the stem of the thermometer far enough into the joint of meat so that the stretch of stem between the tip and the dimple (which is where the sensor is) is roughly in the centre of the joint, which should reasonably be the thickest part, although this is not always the case which I will get to later. Place the meat into the heated oven and wait until the arrow on the dial reaches the point at which your choice of meat is cooked to your desired doneness. Being able to leave the thermometer in the oven and visually checking it through the glass door of the oven seems to be a lot more convenient than opening the door every 20-30 minutes, letting the heat out and having to stick a non-ovenproof thermometer in to the meat until you get a reading.

Since receiving the thermometer I have used it a number of times and mostly to great results. When taking the meat from the oven I’ve usually found that the joint of meat is cooked to the 'doneness' indicated on the dial. If you find that this is not the case, you can recalibrate the thermometer using a guide on the manufacturers website but I have not had to do this so far. I’ve said 'mostly to great results though' as poultry is a bit tricky if you’re cooking a full bird. The correct placing of the thermometer is a little trickier as the breast meat and dark meat cook at different temperatures and if you take the temperature from the breast (as I did) you can find that the dark meat is undercooked (as I did) so I’ve decided I’ll just cook these traditionally rather than by slow-cooking.

All-in-all this has been a great purchase for me and the Roast meats I’ve served up lately have been well received by my wife and I’ve found them both delicious and to have benefitted from slow-cooking which this thermometer really helps with. So far it has proved a level of usefulness far beyond what it cost me and as such I can do nothing but give it the highest recommendation possible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Foolproof Chicken, 14 Sept. 2013
Easy to read thermometer. Just poke it into the chicken..and leave it in the oven. Means you can cook until done, and not over-do it - resulting in lovely, moist chicken. Haven't tried it on beef yet. We have a disagreement in our house as to how rare to cook beef. He prefers it "over-done", I like it cooked properly - pink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this, 10 May 2014
Well, for the first time we have cooked a turkey crown without the usual, "Do you think it is cooked properly yet?", followed by lots of skewering and insertions of a knife.
You may have guessed that we have obviously not used a meat thermometer before (my wife scoffed at me for ordering this!) but I can tell you that it is wonderful for peace of mind.
Inserted it into the meat, to the required depth and placed all in the oven. It was so, so easy and the turkey was cooked just fine. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant thermometer, 29 Jan. 2014
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have had a number of electronic thermometers and they never last. This one is excellent. Well made, quick to respond and easy to read. It is also very easy to clean and the enclosed tube fits snugly to protect the probe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one so far .., 17 Jan. 2013
This one works great, I have bought three other types (not all from Amazon)which dont work as well this one does. You can use it in the oven too which is bonus, no need to take joints out of the over to test them. Electric ones always seem to be inaccurate, plus you cant leave them in the meat in the oven. They take ages to climb the temp scale too when used.
The CDN can be adjusted easily if the readings are not accurate. Great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 14 Jan. 2013
This has proved to be a very handy additive to our kitchen I
I have found our roasts cooked to perfection without guessing.

5.0 out of 5 stars CDN Meat/ Poultry Ovenproof Thermometer, 54 to 88 C, 5 May 2014
I have only used this gadget once so far. Just make sure you position the thermometer directly facing the window pointing directly up in the middle of the oven, this should save you from bending down so far twisting your head trying to read the diagram. I cannot see the clock face through the oven glass window maybe this is because the light in my oven does not work. I also used some cooking oil on the beef and some of the oil has splatted over the thermometer which can be washed off, but not easily, it maybe something to watch out for in the long run! Apart from that it is a very handy gadget to have if you want your beef joint cooked to perfection. Fast delivery, excellent service, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of kit, 29 Dec. 2012
phil cusak (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
Precise temperature guide with a useful cover to protect it while it knocks about in the drawer. No excuse for not getting the cooking right!

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple!, 2 Jan. 2014
I looked at a lot of thermometers before buying this one. Lots can be left in the meat as it cooks, but have long leads trailing out of the oven to a digital display. This one is much simpler. Just stick it in the meat before it goes in then leave it there as it cooks. You can just look through the oven door to see how long it needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful tool, 19 Dec. 2013
I bought this because I have started to use a halogen oven and wasn't very sure if I had cooked meat properly so this provided useful information, I also used it to make sure my turkey was safe to eat. Couldn't be simpler to use and gives almost immediate reading on a simple to read dial. Good product

CDN Meat/ Poultry Ovenproof Thermometer, 54 to 88 C
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available