on 25 December 2004
Searching for an excellent Mozart's Requiem recording, I tried Marriner / ASMF, Hogwood / AAM and listended to few more, but this one is really a pearl and my final favourite - far far best one. It is very rare when modern, fully digital recording significantly surpasses usually excellent (in both playing and interpretation) analog (or early DDD) recordings of the same work from second half of 20th century. Why second half of 20th century ? Because most classical masterpieces had been recorded and intepreted in nearly compelling way in those times. But this not the case - Sir Mackerras, excellent conductor and unexceptionable authority on Mozart, acheived outstanding success which would be hardly ever beaten. Absolutely recommended, buy this SACD disc until you can - and as soon as possible. (Note: it is hybrid SACD, so it will play also in standard CD-audio player.)
on 26 January 2012
I don't have a classical music background, nor a very technical one (to properly evaluate the SACD part), so what is my authority on this; but playing this record on my SACD-player is really extremely enjoyable for me. Just great!
For me, it was a test - a not to expensive one too - both of the SACD and this music by Mozart, and both were very conclusive.
As I understand it, this is music for a funeral mass ... One would really almost desire to have it played at one's own ... but we are not in a hurry, of course :-). So beautiful! Thrilling ...
Hence the well deserved five star rating.
First the edition used brings revealing insights, but the soloists and orchestra under Sir Charles Mackerras at his Mozartian best provide a compelling account of this work which deserves a place in any Mozart collection. Later in his career Sir Charles developed a very special relationship with the SCO, as I recollect from concerts attended, and this special interaction between conductor and orchestra makes this such a special disc and LINN pull out all the stops for sound quality in the hybrid SACD/CD. The Adagio and Fugue is a generous addition on this set.
on 19 February 2013
A brilliant recording of this superlative piece of music. This is such a pleasure to listen to - the best recording of the Requiem that I have heard in years. Buy it.
on 3 April 2013
Some majestic music here, whether to celebrate life or remember the passing of a life. Regularly on my car CD player.
on 10 December 2012
My impression was that the music lacked sensitivity towards the event portrayed and were somewhat thin sounding. Other recordings by the same orchestra are much better.