Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 3 January 2004
Let's put it like this...if Avril Lavigne had five older brothers and they chose to cut a debut album, it would probably sound a lot like this. If you love the likes of Good Charlotte, All-American Rejects, Blink 182 and Sum 41, I advise you to get this CD. The band have a knack for providing songs to jump around the room to and shout along with, accompanying lyrics that bounce from the slightly melancholy to the downright weird - check out My Alien - with pounding pop-punk backing tracks that will get stuck in your head for days. The only problems with this CD were the track 'Perfect' (being a ballad it just seems a bit too separate and stand-out from the rest of the songs) and the fact that I couldn't get the enhanced content. Simple Plan are dark horses in the new race for the pop-punk crown, but they're definitely ones to watch.
on 16 February 2016
For some reason the CD won't import into iTunes/Windows media player, but the digital downloads let me put the music onto my laptop and then onto my iPod. I've been a fan of Simple Plan for ten years now but I've never had their first album, so it makes a great addition to my library. Looking forward to the release of Taking One For the Team later this year!
on 31 October 2002
A brilliant album. My friend brought it back on CD for me from America and it was the best $10 I've ever spent! This Canadian five-piece pop-punk-rock band first gained exposure across the Atlantic with "I'm Just a Kid", which is one of the highlights of the album. "I'd Do Anything" is the most upbeat of what is on the whole a pretty cheerful album considering the subject of the lyrics. "Perfect" and "Meet You There" are for me the best songs on the record, both being brilliant tunes with touching lyrics, the first being about a soured relationship with a father, and the second about the end of a relationship, or death - I'm not sure which!
There isn't a bad song on the album, and while being edgy enough to earn a punk appendage, it certainly isn't heavy enough to turn away people looking for sweet tunes.
on 27 March 2003
Lets sort one thing out first. Before somebody mentions "not real punk" lets examine what we have here. Granted, this may not be traditional punk music, if you want the filth, fury and revolution of punk music, try Rancid or NOFX. But this is, I suppose, pop-punk, and it sounds pretty damn good.
The band's name pretty much sums up what they're about here. A straightforward rock band, solid chord playing, some very good singing closer to Blink 182 and Third Eye Blind than the old-school punk, and catchy choruses and lyrics. It's a simple, tried and tested plan, and it works. Really well.
First single "I'd Do Anything" features backing vocals from Blink 182 frontman Mark Hoppus, and the song, like many others, wouldn't be out of place on the Blink album. The addictive chorus "I'd do anything, just to fall asleep with you" tells you where we're at here. And ofcourse, the token "no girlfriend" theme has to be addressed. "I'm just a kid and life is a nightmare, I'm just a kid and I know that it's not fair" is just the job.
The rest of the album follows in similar fashion. If you like The Starting Line, Sugarcult, Something Corporate, Allister, Finch, Student Rick, Good Charlotte, Bowling For Soup and Blink 182 you know what you're getting with this. It's not amazingly original, the lyrics have been done before, and they sound shockingly similar to Bowling For Soup, but who cares? This is good music, and if people want to listen to it, then who gives a damn if it's not old-school or doesn't stand for a great deal.
This is a great album, as are the others mentioned above. Half-marks for originality, ten out of ten for a great pop-rock record.
on 9 June 2013
Sorry to say its thanks to What's New Scooby Doo that I discovered this band - they performed the theme song and I'd Do Anything was used in one episode. Straight away thought I'd Do Anything was one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard and I've been meaning to check out some of their other stuff, and I'm not disappointed! Loving the punk/pop/rock style. Lead singer Pierre Bouvier has a similar voice to Bowling For Soup's Jaret Reddick, and the overall style is quite similar, so if you like BFS you'll like this. And for that matter as other reviewers it's kind of like other bands like Blink 182 but a bit more "poppy". Great songs, great album, and there's a hidden track too.
on 20 February 2003
This band is simple amazing i got into them about a year ago and saw them support bowling for soup last week. This is definitly the best of all the New Pop Punk style bands. Some of the tracks such as 'When I'm With You' and 'Addicted' are about lost love and wanting someone that dosn't want you back. Other track such as 'God Must Hate Me' 'I'm Just A Kid' and 'Perfect' are about how hard it is too be a teenager, this album has everything that anyone can relate too. The best song overall has to be Addicted it's the bands third single from this album. Buy this is you like Good Charlotte, Blink and New Found Glory. Mark Hoppus and Joel Madden make guest appearences on this album.
on 22 December 2003
Quite possibly the best album i bought this year. It's a mixture of punk and pop and rock, the more styles the better. I've been listening to this album since June and i'm still listening to it, from start to finish this album is a peice of 14 track goodness. Each and every song is different and all up-lifting and it gets better as it goes on. If you are a fan of any sort of punk - tsunami bomb, blink 182, something corporate - this is a little more poppy than them but it just makes them better.
Releases from this album - 'Addicted' pretty much describe the whole album, ace beats, brilliant lyrics and theres two videos on the disc as well.
GO - BUY NOW!
on 12 March 2004
I bought this cd cos "I'd Do Anything" and "Addicted" kept playing in my head and it was driving me nuts. Catchy songs. "My Alien" is weird in a good way, and tracks like "Perfect" are quite painful. I don't like that a 24-year-old is singing that he's "Just A Kid" though.
Over-all, a good pick-me-up album with a punk-pop vibe that'll get you moving
on 26 April 2003
Ok i heard of this band last summer..i heard 'I'd Do anything' and it got me interested in them for the sole purpose that one of my idols did guest vocals in that song. If it weren't for Mr.Hoppus i'd just cast aside this band along with all the rest who sing about girls and try so hard to be 'punk'(trust me there is a lot of them out there). I thought i'd hold out a little longer instead of buying their album straight away, incase i made the mistake of buying another album with just one great song and the rest all fillers e.g. sum 41, ironically titled All Killer No Filler. When i did finally buy it i must say i was impressed. Ok so it has all been done before, yes you could easily find another band who sing about the same things as these guys, but lyrics arent evrything and this album still rocks. It is missing a bit of oringinality but the songs are catchy and these guys show some talent at playing their instruments. It does sound watered down though and sounds a bit too teeny-boppy which is why it aint getting 5 stars from me. I'll be looking out for this band in the future, thats if they have one as it seems to me that being in a punk pop band nowadays is the fashion, and fashions soon end..just ask the Backstreet boys and NSync
on 22 March 2003
This album is typical pop-punk really, nothing particularly original. If, however, you like pop punk , you will like this album. The single "Ill do anything" is great, with a cool riff, as are a number of the other songs on this album. My personal favourites are "im just a kid", "when im with you" and "my alien". The songs are easy to relate to if you're a teenager but they're all pretty much about the same thing(s). My other criticisms are that many of the songs become repetitve and a few are'nt very punk or rock in areas treading dangerously into pop territory. If u like pop thats fine, but for me, being more of a punk fan, i wasn't to keen. Still a damn good album.