on 18 November 2003
I am so happy to have another little Henry as my helper! Having previously owned a red Henry for about 10 years I parted with my trusty friend due to the lure of the Dyson - which after two troublesome years I have given up on. (My previous Henry is still going strong in my daughter's home where he has just celebrated his 20th birthday). Henry is powerful, has all the necessary tools for every conceivable job around the house; is manageable in terms of carrying upstairs etc and has an extra long lead which is useful when doing the stairs or hoovering out the car. My only reservation is that it is so powerful you have to watch out for things left on the floor, like socks, ties etc, which will end up nicely sucked down the vacuum hose. A great little cleaner.

Thought I would add a further comment to thus - 10 years after first reviewing. My Henry is now 13 years old and still going strong whilst Henry 1st is now 30 and performing as well as ever with a couple of replacement accessories.
0Comment|153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2009
I have never owned a henry before but I love it!! My kids love it!! Even my husband loves it!! But of course that is only for its cuteness factor :). He does however do a sterling job of the hoovering as well and because he is cute we now argue over who is going to do it!!

We go through hoovers very quickly in our house so I will be interested to see how long Henry lasts but compared to our previous hoovers (vax, electrolux and panasonic to namae a few) Henry is performing well so far. Great suction, easy to fit dustbags (haven't had to empty one yet)and easy to move around.

I am not usually a fan of the pull along vacuum cleaners and this one is heavy but because it has a long tube you don't have to pull the unit itself very often. It isn't as easy to swap over the tools as an upright but not a real problem.

It also comes with its own neat fabric bag which you can store all the bits in, complete with cute face on the front.

For cuteness factor and ease of finding willing volunteers to hoover the Henry wins hands down. For actual vacuuming Henry is as good as any hoover we have tried before and with a cat and 4 messy children that has to be good!
on 6 June 2009
My old red Henry had reached the end of the road, so on Friday lunchtime I ordered a new green one (more powerful) and had it at 8.30am on Saturday.

I am very pleased with it and switching from economy to full power is useful. The other improvement is that the air vent has been moved down the pole. I used to find it annoying when it twisted itself open because my hand was on it on the old model.

The red bag is handy too. A good buy.
on 23 January 2014
We've had Henry's for over 20 years and they used to be a lot better. My Old Henry was only 5kg which was perfect and a perfect suction power of 1000W, not too strong so you couldn't move it and strong enough for good deep cleaning. The cord rewind was smooth and quiet and the hoses fitted perfectly. It died a couple of years ago and replaced it with a new model with the Hi/Lo function, and is now a constant source of frustration.

I know a few reviewers have said how much they love the HI/LO function, but I'd have to say I absolutely hate it and it drives me nuts. Every single time you turn it off, you have to wait a couple of seconds to switch it back to high. For carpets, you don't feel the Lo setting gets them clean enough, however the "Hi" function is so strong it is difficult to move the head. The whole reason you buy a Henry is for the superior suction power and if I wanted a weak vacuum I would have chosen another. The new machine is a hefty 8.75kg (ok not heavy compared to a dyson) but compared to the old 5kg is not great.

On top of this the cord gets tangled all the time (the old one was great) and the rewind is noisy and scratchy. One of the unions on the hose from new was not good either so one of the stainless hose sections keeps dropping off. After buying my Henry I found out you can buy a model with a "hard" switch Hi/Lo (it stays at whatever setting you set it to) which I think I will definitely going for, if like me you want it permanently on high.

Overall a little disappointed with the quality and features of the new machine compared to the old.
on 9 January 2007
I got this little beauty today and I cannot believe I have not had one sooner! 5 years struggling with 3 different dysons which each broke down on numerous occasions and so much frustration. I turned it on and even on low power it out classes the dyson for suction. It has a great number of tools and came with a handy red bag to store them in to carry them round the house with. The suction on both carpet and wooden floors is incredible! It is not too heavy to take upstairs and glides along behind you. So far I can't find any fault with it. If you are debating whether or not to change from the Dyson I would definitely recommend this. It is so much sturdier too.
on 7 July 2009
We have tiled floors and rugs throughout our home, and our upright Dyson was not ideal for cleaning, however we persevered until it eventually died. We decided to replace with a Henry as they're robust, no nonsense vacuum cleaners. Our little green Henry is just great! Not only does he default to the lower wattage setting of 600W every time you switch on (perfectly adequate suction for tiles floors) but he has a range of tools suitable for getting into nooks and crannies. On top of that, his little smiley face makes me smile as I'm vacuuming! Henry is a no nonsense vacuum, with great suction and cleaning power, easy to use, manoeuverable, and not too heavy. I can't recommend him highly enough.
on 16 October 2010
This Henry HVR200-22 is by far the best vacuum cleaner I've ever purchased. After 10 years of 3 noisy unreliable Dysons, Henry is like a breath of fresh air (pun intended). Its much much quieter (even on full power) has twice the amount of suction and is a pleasure to use. My dog now sleeps through the vacuuming and I actually look forward to using my Henry. Just wish I had bought him years ago!
on 19 September 2010
Henry is definitely the perfect hoover - long cable, low and high suction options and all the attachments. I can clean the whole downstairs without changing plugs (including the stairs). The bag is nice and big and doesn't need changing too often - and on top of all that he's just soooo cute. A good buy :-)
on 2 August 2009
I love my Henry. What a fantastic machine. Great suction and useful tools. It has solved all my vacuuming headaches and gives me great results, and that without having to switch on the power boost. Very reasonably priced for such an excellent product. If all the Henry range are half as good I would recommend them to everyone.
on 8 June 2014
Decided to give the Henry vacuum a try when my 3rd and last Dyson's wheel fell off and the hose split after only 4 years of use, I didn't consider this to be a good life expectancy for what it has cost (over £300) All the professional cleaners and contractors seem to use Henry's and everyone gives them a good rating.

I was going to order the industrial model but after reading reviews on the amazing suction of the basic model I decided to try that. I wasn't disappointed, personally I only need to use on the low setting. It is also so much easier to clean to the edges of the carpets and swap attachments. My dusting brush that I bought as an extra with the Dyson fits perfectly - it never fitted the Dyson properly and was always falling off!! With my previous upright vacuum it was a bit of a palava taking the handle to pieces before I could change attachments. I used to do the upright cleaning and then have to go around a 2nd time to do the edges and skirting boards with the wand attachment. The wand and hose on the Henry is a good height so unless you are really tall then you won't be bending down too far and giving yourself back ache.

It is more of a workout using this machine than using an upright but it gets into lots of corners and under drawers which my upright hoover never did. My carpets are quite old but this little machine has really made them look clean and vacuumed.

If there was one negative that would be that you cannot do a whole flight of stairs. You have to do half the stairs from the bottom and take the machine upstairs and do the other half stairs coming down. Some people said it was heavy to carry but personally I do not find t his as my Dyson was pretty heavy and cumbersome to carry up stairs.

All in all a good little machine at a good price so very happy.