5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the investment
Seems from the other reviews, all being 5 star or 1 star that you either love this item or hate it. We are in the former band, having bought this machine after our Kenwood Chef (a wedding present 28 years ago) gave up the ghost and burnt out.

Published on 3 Oct 2009 by Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed
Published on 29 Mar 2012 by Creemcheeze

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the investment, 3 Oct 2009
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: KitchenAid Artisan KSM150BER Stand Mixer Red (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Kitchen & Home)

Why do I rate this kitchen aid? Well I love the colour - thats not a reason to buy it though is it! Its easy to use and far easier to use the our old Kenwood Chef; it mixes the mixture far quicker then the Kenwood, mixes both small and large quantities with ease. We use it every day and it has replaced our old Bread maker - easier to use to make bread and the bread tastes far better. You can use it to make excellent cheesie mash fast and all in all wish we had bought one years ago!!!!

ps, Buy the grating accessory - ot really is worth the money and after you use it you will never and I mean never want to hand grate cheese again!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic MUST for any kitchen, 11 Nov 2004
This mixer was bought as a birthday present for my wonderful long term Girlfriend.
Well if there had ever been something I did well then it was buying her this. Now I'm not talking about the amount of sheer joy it brought to her when she opened it (despite it being a different colour from the one I ordered) No I'm talking about the machine itself. It is truly a fantastic piece of engineering. Everything about is solid and precise the way it mixes is unique and it is so simple to use. There is definitely a reason as to why all the top chefs on the cookery programs use such a machine. It does the job magnificently. Not only that it looks good to boot.
All in all our (I like to call it that now) Kitchen Aid Artisan Mixer now has pride and place in our kitchen and we wouldn't change it for the world.
A great, and WELL worth the money, piece of kitchen excellence.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mechanical work of art!, 25 Jan 2005
Mr. Nigel Smith (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I didn't know I could get so excited about a food mixer! The Kitchenaid Artisan is as solid as they come, does exactly what it should do very well and it looks ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS in the kitchen!
Okay, so it's a bit pricey. I think in this case though you are paying for a top quality product that will last many years and looks the business. On that basis, I'd say it offers good value-for-money.
Also note that if you send off the guarantee card, they will send you a recipe book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!!, 13 May 2004
I bought the Kitchenaid Food Mixer (Red!) about a month ago. Since then I have used it many times. I have had an interest in baking and cooking for about 25 years and it is the best mixer I have ever experienced using. Although pricey it is definitely well worth the money. Very easy to use and to clean. I have used it for sweet and savoury dishes. Brilliant for making pastry, meringue, cake mixes etc ~ basically everything! The large bowl is great when doubling and trebling amounts. I would recommend it without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great items, 2 Oct 2013
I was turning around for years..... and finally a birthday arrive and my wife buy it for me, yes I am man which like to cook.
I am using it for 2 months now and I cannot find any complains... and god knows I am difficult.
Pros :
- Easy to clean
- Easy to use
- Powerful to do any bread\pizza dough so far.
- Look great in the kitchen.
- product will last

Con :
- Expensive
- Might become addict to good food
- become addict to buy accessories

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed, 29 Mar 2012
I recieved this mixer for Christmas and was thrilled - it looked stylish and initially worked well. It was my first stand mixer and I do alot of cooking and baking for my family. However four days ago, (after three months use) the locking mechanism broke when making dough for bread. I could lift the top completely whilst it was still kneading. I rang Kitchenaid, went through the recipe and method used, they said it was a fault with the machine. I took the machine back and exchanged it for a new one. That evening I again made some dough and the same thing happened again. I couldn't believe it! Again I rang kitchenaid and went through the recipe,(which was a kitchenaid recipe), the amount of flour used was below the capacity advised in the manual, my method was fine, they apologised and said it must be an unfortunate coincidence.
I have since trawled through many reviews and it seems that the problem is with the newer models - apparently the original company that produced kitchenaid was taken over a few years ago by a bigger company and since then there have been quality issues.
After long consideration I have decided to go for a Kenwood Chef which I should have done in the first place instead of being seduced by looks. The Kitchenaid is so expensive in the U.K. compared to Kenwood and with the Kenwood you also get a food processor and blender attachment.
I also went for the Kitchenaid because it is used on many T.V cookery programmes but I can only assume they use the Kitchenaid Professional mixer which is even more expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Design - 21st Centrury technology, 23 Jan 2004
I bought this item as a present for my fiancee. We have seen them aon all of the cookery programs and other TV shows. They look so cool, so classic, so sexy.
It does look good, very good, and we get a lot of comments about it when ever anyone visits. But does design compromise performance.
Not at all. There is a reason why celebrity chefs have the Kitchen aid on the programs, because they work ! Everyone knows "Kenwood chef", as the original, but this is better. Loads of attachemtns means that any mixing job is light work. There is even an attachment to make pasta. If you have tried to make pasta with a manual machine, you will know that it requires either three hands or two people!
This is an excellent item, and you will not be disapointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice but..., 3 Feb 2009
Suzanne (East Lothian) - See all my reviews
I received the brushed nickel Artisan mixer for my Christmas in 2007. I had wanted one for a long time! After a couple of weeks the pin holding the motor head to the base fell out while I was using it, damaging the bowl and beater. I was sent a replacement from Amazon. A few months later while using the mixer to knead dough I noticed the mixer head was unlocking and being pushed up by the dough. I phoned KitchenAid and they asked me to package it up and send it to them to be repaired. I got it back repaired a couple of weeks later. This same thing has happened again and it is due to be delivered back today. I have only used the machine about 7 or 8 times for kneading dough and have always been very careful to follow instructions on amounts et.c. I am amazed that something that looks and feels so sturdy (it weighs a ton) is so obviously not. I don't find that it performs particularly well in whipping egg whites or making cakes (there is always a layer next to the bowl that is unmixed and yes I have tried adjusting the beater to bowl clearance). I now if I want a good result get my handheld kenwood out (£15). I do however find the KitchenAid fine for whipping cream and mashing potato. I think these mixers look fantastic but really aren't very good.
If you do get one keep the packaging so can easily send it for repair!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOWeeeeeeeee!!!!!, 12 Mar 2010
Mellow Yellow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have always wanted one of these since my old 1960's Kenwood Chef broke which I had inherited from my Nan. The new Kenwood seemed very poorly made and I was introduced to the Kitchenaid machine by a lady in our local kitchen shop and it was love at first sight!! It has taken me a while to save but I now have one and I am totally thrilled!

The first thing you notice is the stunning retro looks and the shiny casing. The hardest decision to make is which colour to buy, thats a very personal thing as these mixers will probably last a lifetime. When you pick the Kitchenaid up you will be surprised at the sheer weight of the appliance, and the quality of the workmanship. Even the tools and bowl are as solid as can be.

The smooth speed switch is so simple to use and as the direct drive motor is at the top of the machine, it only uses part of the power needed by other machines which have their motor low down on the stand.

The only down side is that you are unable to use this up against a wall as you have the speed selector on one side and the release tilting catch on the other side, but this isnt an issue for me even though my kitchen is very small.

I agree with some other comments about the price of these machines in the UK being very high compared to America, where they are about a third of the price. Even so I am very pleased with mine and recommend this machine over the current Kenwood Chef anyday.

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased that I did!, 8 Aug 2010
After much thought as to whether to buy this item or not, I finally went down to a local department store to take a closer look: after all, if you are going to spend this much on a kitchen accessory, you should see it first.

I have to say that I have not been disappointed with my purchase! The sturdy design means you feel like this machine is built to last. The controls are firm, the base is solid and even when mixing a large amount of heavy bread dough, the machine works on like a dream. It's so solid in fact, it reminds me more of a pillar drill from my school days of woodwork than of anything I encountered in home ec.

I was a little concerned about the machine's ability to incorporate all ingredients after reading a few other reviews on here. You just have to have read a few quick tips to solve this! Firstly, if making dough using the hook attachment, mix your dry ingredients and then slowly add your liquid - I have had no problems working this way and have not needed to push any flour off the sides of the mixing bowl at all. The flat beater presents more of a challenge, but pushing dry ingredients down with a spatula is not too much of a fuss - you are home baking after all! Unlike some users, I have had no problems with the wire whip attachment mixing all ingredients, even egg whites - no clear residue around the edge of the mixture and the resulting meringue is far better than I have ever achieved with an electric hand whisk.

For me the greatest thing about this machine is how easy it is to clean. Although all parts are dishwasher safe, the bowl rinses clean very easily and because the attachments are a good size with no small gaps, a quick wipe in the sink with a sponge is all they need.

If I had to made one improvement? Make the other attachments for this machine more readily available - the UK market seems to be stuck to getting these online only.