5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Purchase!!
I ordered the SD330 last week from Amazon as my old Multi Region player had started to "die" and it would have cost nearly as much to have that one repaired.
This therefore was something of a "crisis" purchase!
Having said all that though I can only speak of my new DVD player with absolute praise.
The picture is clearer and better defined and the sound...
Published on 7 July 2003 by marksmith73

3.0 out of 5 stars Not UK model
No problems with this player but someone is being cheeky here. The reason people are having a problem with manuals is that these are not UK spec players. I got an English manual included but it is a photocopy! Also if you take a close look at the plug you will see it is a european round two pin screwed into a UK one which adapts it. Don't get me wrong it still works fine...
Published on 2 Jan 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Purchase!!, 7 July 2003
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
This therefore was something of a "crisis" purchase!
The picture is clearer and better defined and the sound quality is fantastic compared to my old machine (the Yello, if anyone remembers that one!!)
There are three sound modes - Normal, 3D and Dialogue.
I have found that the Dialogue mode suits my set up best with the speech suddenly appearing more focused, without any detraction from the overall sound quality.
The machine itself is very sexy looking, being only 60mm tall and with attractive use of glass fronting and neat buttons it slots in very neatly, making other components look fat and ugly in comparison!
The remote is slim and light and all functions become easy to use after the first couple of exploratory sessions.
There are a decent selction of connection options and the machine appears to play all formats without any problem.
The only slight "scare" initially for me was when I first attempted to play a region 1 disc and the picture was presented in Black and White!
This, though was soon remedied by adjusting the setting from Video to RGB (whatever that stands for) and a colour picture was gratefully received.
In terms of value...I paid the 99.99 price tag and feel that I have really got my moneys worth...
I just wish I could have waited for this weeks new offer 79.99!!
How gutting is that!
In terms of delivery...go for the saver option as its free and Parcel Force are pretty reliable for their part.
I ordered two of these machines, one for a friend, and both arrived earlier than the predicted time on screen.
Parcel Force also had that decent old-fashioned "common sense" idea of trying a neighbour for one of the deliveries as I was out - so no trudging off to a depot to recover the machine.
All in all a most satisfactory experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars All round great performer, 29 Nov 2003
The Five Sisters (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
I bought the Toshiba SD330E for my parents after being very impressed with Toshiba's previous model, the SD220E. The picture quality is superb, even when only connected with a dirt cheap SCART lead. It's mainly used for region 2 DVDs, but has had no problems with other regions or with various other formats such as VCD. It supports disc resume (an essential feature in my book)and has a great remote from which it is possible to carry out all functions. As a bonus, if you lose the remote, it functions fully from the buttons on the front of the machine. It's small and looks very sleek, and the cherry on the cake is the fantastic price. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine!, 17 Feb 2004
Mr. Paul Richardson "pr3759" (Aberdeen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
This is how DVD players should be, all the features, brill pics and sound, and some nifty add-ons to keep the techies happy as well. This machine will play anything I throw into it, and I have a collection of DVDs from around the world that will only play in THIS machine.
The price I paid was £79.99 for the multi-region version(delivered on time) from Amazon, but now it is £69.99 and a STEAL! Those of you who moan about no SCART lead in the box can look at paying £130+ from your local dealer, who will also charge you £20 to unlock the unit for multi region. At the Amazon price I can save money and get my own SCART lead thanks!!
The instructions were in Eng, but how many pages have I read of it, none! All the icons are on-screen anyway. I expect that one rainy day I might work out some of the miriad of features by reading it though, but life is short.
Thinking of a DVD player, don't look any further, this is the one you need, at a price that makes it unmissable! Don't even think of getting a cheapo brand from your local supermarket. At this price it won't be around for long.
All I need now is the Toshiba RD XS 30 DVD Hard Drive Recorder to drop below £500 and I will be into Amazon again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain of the Year, 1 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
I wanted a secondary player that was capable of playing discs from other regions to use in the bedroom.The Toshiba seemed like the ideal machine for me.It is small and stylish and can fit just about anywhere.Picture playback from RGB scart is very impressive.Blacks look black and colours are rich and I have noticed details on some DVDs I own that my other player does not produce (A machine that cost three times as much).Some region 1 discs are encrypted with a pesky blocking device called RCE that other multiregion players cannot play but the Tosh has handled everthing Ive thrown at it.If you want a player capable of playing discs from all over the world the Tosh is brilliant.The player is easy to set up and you can be watching your favourite movies in no time.The manual is in English and the remote control even has batteries provided.All you need to provide yourself is a scart which is not included.I must also mention the quick delivery.I ordered this product on a Friday and it arrived on the following Monday in mint condition.Well done Parcleforce and Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you could want from a player, 27 Dec 2003
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
I bought this player as a replacement for an old Alba model which I loved to death. I own a Panasonic and while its a nicer player it doesnt have the versatility of the Alba. I was looking primarily for a budget player that could handle my collection of vcd, svcd, region 3 dvd and RCE dvd's all with ease. Being Christmas I didnt have much luck so I decided to try this little Toshiba. Boy was that a good decision. I got the best of both my other players.
The picture quality is everything you would ask for from a brand name like Toshiba, everything I've played on it looked really good (or as good as the transfer on the dvd allowed).
The options are great, the sound superb and its a slinky little thing that takes up very little room.
It's played everything I've thrown at it without complaining - and quickly and quietly unlike my old Alba. VCD, SVCD, DVD-R, Region 1,2,3,4,6,0 including RCE. Budget dvd media and cd media (including coloured bottoms) right through to ritek dvd media, even Region 3 Hong Kong dvd's that cost me around £1.50 to buy.
I'm not sure about macrovision, if thats important to you (it isn't to me) you'll need to check, but if multi region and all sorts of mpeg media is what your looking for and you can spare a few extra notes this does everything the budget players will but with a little more style. 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great machine but..., 22 Dec 2003
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
...what happened to the English manual? German and French is no use and considering the machine is feature full, I would expect the manual to be in English to get the best out of it. I contacted Amazon and got a bog standard reply giving me Toshiba's telephone number. I called that and was given another number. Toshiba were very helpful, took the serial no. and said that when the manuals come back into stock, they will send me one. They also said that many people who had bought from Amazon had called with the same problem. They are looking into this and it could be a mistake in packing at their factory or just that Amazon get the machines from a foreign supplier. Either way, it should not be down to the consumer to have to chase up an English manual especially as there is no reference on the product description page to the fact that it comes with a foreign manual
Other than this, the SD330E is a great looking player with superb picture quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba SD330, 2 Oct 2003
M. Furnell (Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
I bought this player a few months ago. So it has been tried and tested. At first I had a problem with lip sync on SVCD play back, but a quick call to Toshiba fixed that problem. the MP3 play back in this player is one of the best I have seen; easy to navigate and displays long file names in a PC DIR type format. The Playback in all modes is to a very high standard. The speech mode for Dolby play back is great and Multiregion works a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best machine I've owned., 1 Aug 2003
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
This machine is so good, I've got 2 of them :)
The absolute best feature is that the machine is one of the best at handling scratched discs. If you rent a lot of movies, on some players you'll get skipping with some light scratching or noticeable scratches. The toshiba handles this extremely well.
Easy setup, well thought out remote control, good picture, great sound, and it's very sleak too.
Overall, cheap, reliable and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD for the Price, 1 Mar 2004
MR DAVID FALCONER (Wickford, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
I had previously read all the reviews for this product, and decided after long deliberation, that this is the DVD for me to own. The DVD came with 5 days of ordering, and after buying another SCART cable (gold terminals). I plugged in the DVD player and switched on. There was nothing to set up, and since then I have thrown all types of CD's at the unit including MP3's both on CDR and CDRW (which is not recommended) and everything has played perfectly. I have not had a chance to watch other region DVD's but feel that this will be just as painless.
I have no hesitation in recommending this to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Unit at an Outstanding Price, 18 Mar 2004
This review is from: Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player (Electronics)
Let's assume the great picture and sound and the other things the 5 star reviews give it are a done deal - they are.
What about the issues...
1) Manual in French / German ?
Mine was a pukka printed manual entirely in ENGLISH
2) R1 discs play in Black and White?
My R1 Quadrophenia played straight away, in colour, with no problems (what a scandal that one of the finest independent cult British films is crap on R2 at 4:3 with the same print used for the tired VHS release and no extras whereas the Yanks get a remastered print with a host of quality extras, anamorphic widescreen - and cheaper!!!)
I digress
3) No Scarts.
Big Deal - It's a 70 quid machine FFS! If you play a DVD with cheap scarts, you might as well stick to a 70s VHS player. I'd never use cheapo supplied scarts anyway. Buy some good 'uns and see the difference. Then you have 'em for life every time you upgrade your machines! Mega quality Thor scarts are just 18 quid at Play.com
4) No VCD Playback.
My home produced VCD played first time no problems
And audio cd's play superbly as well, so much crisper than my muffly old Phillips.
For crying out loud, top quality sound and picture with DTS & Dolby, multi region, and zillions of disc media supported for 70 nicker - delivered! ?
What are you waiting for!
If you get a wrong 'un..... swap it for another!! This is Amazon, not shadydealer.com

Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player