Format: Audio CDChange

on 7 January 2013
Bought this as a Xmas present for my wife who has lost her original copy. read the reviews, of which there many, but was so confused by the plethora of versions available I got the wrong one. Would happily return it if I could. If you are looking to buy this BE CAREFUL and read reviews and descriptions to make sure you get the version you want. John Cleese has no business being on this album! My wife thinks I am an idiot, after all, how hard can it be to buy a CD of Tubular Bells and get it wrong!!!!????
PS The bonus DVD is juvenile rubbish, would have been spectacular video effects in the 60's, but then so was Ray Harryhausen with his stop motion fighting skeletons, in 2003 it looks more like a school project for a 10 yr old child!
on 24 April 2015
I JUST LOVE THIS CD.
on 23 April 2015
just like old times!
on 12 June 2004
This has to be Mike Oldfield's best album (along with Platinum and Five Miles Out) and one of the best albuns in the world.
The sound quality of this edition is great. I also like the surround mix made but even if I didn't it would worth buying it just for the SACD (2-channel) and CD layers.
GREAT.
0Comment5 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2013
I bought the original version many years ago as part of the 'Boxed' special edition which I played endlessly. Musically, this re-work is still a masterpiece, but I prefer the original. Vivian Stanshall's introduction of the instruments is a tough act to follow, and I'm afraid John Cleese does not really do it for me. Similarly, the new caveman dialogue seems too well spoken compared to the original, especially if you believe the stories about how it came about and close your eyes and imagine the recording. ('Lyrics?1 I'll give him f***ing lyrics!!')
So, different from the original, a brilliant piece of work, just enjoy.
on 11 October 2010
The original album was incredible, imaginative, clever, visionary etc.
This is the same piece replayed, almost note for note, in an updated recording studio. It adds nothing to the original, and takes away all the charm.
I want to give it five stars because the concept of Tubular Bells deserves five stars, however a rehash of the same thing 30 odd years later doesn't deserve to be in the same class. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If you own the original, listen to it and love it. If you don't own it, get it. This edit is for fanatical collectors only.
on 24 November 2015