5.0 out of 5 stars At last-a flawless cd which does justice to C.T.W.!!
Having bought this album when originally released in the 'eighties I was not surprised at the magical lyrics and wonderful melody contained here.
Published on 26 Jun 2003 by Michael Bermingham

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly very beautiful songs, some marred by dreadful 80s production values
I'm new to the considerable pleasures of Clifford T. Ward, having only very recently had my interest piqued by his inclusion on one of those ubiquitous 'Best Singer Songwriters You've Never Heard Of' type lists. I started off with Home Thoughts From Abroad, which, on the word of critical consensus is his masterpiece - and I came to like that record very much: simple,...
Published 10 months ago by Andrew Sutherland

5.0 out of 5 stars At last-a flawless cd which does justice to C.T.W.!!, 26 Jun 2003
Michael Bermingham "mjbermingham" (Birr,County Offaly,Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Both Of Us (Audio CD)
However it made a pleasent surprise to at last get hold of a cd which had top quality sound re-production and did justice to the mavellous talent of C.T.W. Often in the past, albums were released which contained out-takes and poor sound quality.
Now to the album content.It starts with the marvellous 'Still Not Free', a wonderful love song in the best C.T.W. mould.Sandwiched in the middle is the thought provoking 'Contrary' and the album ends with one of his best ever songs 'The Best Is Yet To Come'.The rest of the tracks are all good and the album closes with an extract from the C.T.W. biography.This extract shows how human C.T.W. really was and indicates how he struggled, like most of us, from day to day.However when it came to writing music this man seemed to have a direct line to heaven.So long, old friend and r.i.p.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Clifford Album, 15 July 2003
I. Varey "(instantproductsuk)" (Stafford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Both Of Us (Audio CD)
Undoubtably his finest work starting strongly with a wistful/ hopeful "Still not free" followed by upbeat "Messengers", both of which will come back to haunt you time and again. Some tracks grab you immediately with their strong hooks and melodies, others burn slowly into in your brain. "Where do Angels really come from?" and "Contrary" belong to the former. "Before the world was round" and "The best is yet to come" are achingly sad and could move you to tears. "World" has a superb elongated guitar piece that wrenches your emotions. Still more to come, as if this was not enough... Clifford sadly died of MS related complications in December 2001. A biography aptly entitled "Bittersweet" by Dave Cartwright, due to be released in autumn in paperback, graces this album with a spoken word extract by the author. It will make you dearly wish Clifford was given the recognition in life he so richly deserved. He is one of England's finest ever singer songwriters. Come on Sir Paul McCartney and others.. cover these and other songs of Mr Ward's. You could do a lot worse. Lastly can someone please release his other albums on CD. This is a great start!

5.0 out of 5 stars The finest of his later albums., 27 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Both Of Us (Audio CD)
How strange it is to hear this album in such clarity via CD!I have long since worn out my "LP" and only managed to copy it to tape after it was past its prime.Thanks to this, all CTW fans can hear again such beautiful music with pristine reproduction. Those who know this artist will buy.Those seeking to know more fully Cliiford`s work should buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars His best album ?? Certainly, like the others, it's timeless, 7 Dec 2007
This review is from: Both Of Us (Audio CD)
I always thought that Clifford T. Ward was so uncool, he was cool! Very long hair that would make Lemmy of Motörhead proud, and make anyone who didn't know him wonder who on earth he was. What CTW will be remembered for is his mastery of the English language, brilliant subject matter and melodies to yearn for.

This is a fantastic album which, like one of the other reviewers, I would love to see other, bigger names in music, cover, if only because his music deserves to be remembered for its sheer high class.

We all know that Judy Collins, for one, has covered beautifully "The Best Is Yet To Come", which is a great song, but not the best on the CD by a long chalk. My personal favourites are "Still Not Free", "Leaving", "Both Of Us", "Contrary", "Before The World Was Round" (great guitar and piano), "Waiting For The Garda" and "Twenty Minutes", all brilliantly crafted songs - see, I've named seven of the other 11 tracks. That suggests to me that all tracks are of such a very high standard.

Less is more on this album, good singing, instrumentation and arrangements which are understated, but which add up to a perfect set of tracks.

Unlike the other reviewers, and not trying to be irreverent, I think the 15 minute spoken extract of "Bittersweet" is unnecessary and I would have preferred if it had not been included. However, it does show that CTW was a normal bloke who had his ups and downs and has made me consider buying the book; but it is superfluous to the music.

I have four other CTW albums, including "Home Thoughts" and "Mantel Pieces", which are also brilliant albums, but this is marginally better that those two.

And it's a lovely picture of Polly, the youngest of his children, on the inner sleeve.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album from the GREAT Clifford T Ward !!, 22 Jan 2009
A. Darbyshire "Tony D" (Gerrards Cross, Bucks, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Both Of Us (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Cliff for many many years. He's written some wonderful songs and this album is definitely some of his best work. Wistful, melodic, truly interesting lyrics and fabulous tunes, and his lovely voice is so easy to listen to.

I'd recommend this album to anyone, not just those who know his work.

I hope his family are enjoying his success now he's gone. I just wish he was still with us :-( His life was much too short and losing him to MS at such a young age (57) robbed us all of his amazing contribution to music. Thank goodness his life lives on through his albums, which we can all enjoy and listen to again and again.

Buy this album. You won't be disappointed!

Also, buy the biography of Cliff, Bittersweet, by his friend, Dave Cartwright. It's wonderful read and a great tribute to a man whose legacy will live on forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars CTW - the best, 11 Oct 2010
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Both Of Us (Audio CD)
A friend put me onto Clifford T Ward. Of course, being of an age, I remember Gaye, Wherewithal, Up in the World, Scullery, Home Thoughts...the singles he released in the `70s. He`d had a hit or two, didn`t feel like touring and playing the publicity game (Cliff was by all accounts a prickly, obstinate chap) and so pretty much disappeared into the oblivion to which we tend to consign those who don`t/won`t `play the game`. But CTW had aces up his sleeve, even if few were paying much attention: his songs.
Ah, his songs. We laud and applaud the likes of Pauls Simon & McCartney, Nick Drake (posthumously, anyway), James Taylor, Sandy Denny, Joni et al. But there was another in our midst arguably the equal of any of these admittedly great singer-songwriters. He was a tall, rangy, ugly-handsome Midlander, with terminally long blonde locks, an often fierce face, like a bird-of-prey or haughty lion - his rare smiles in photos are welcome - and a tenor voice that seemed to stray into falsetto, so high was it, though he could come down gently on the lower notes too.
My introduction proper to CTW was the fine compilation Gaye And Other Stories, but this later album (once only available in the Rep of Ireland) is something very special indeed, a quite wonderful collection of songs - not one weak track - with a downbeat, melancholy feel to it that in no way lessens its originality or its beauty. We are most certainly talking of beauty here. Each time I listen to this collection I am struck anew by the utter loveliness of the songs, as well as the sheer craft that allowed CTW to write such moving, poignant songs as Leaving, Waiting For The Garda, and the sublime The Best Is Yet To Come, while marrying musicality to lyrical brilliance in an alchemy that leaves me agog. I have no idea quite how he does what he does, why he is so affecting; I only know that he is, and wish I`d more fully discovered his rare genius decades earlier.
This is one of the most treasurable, essential albums I have ever heard. Each song makes you want to hear the next one...his brief, valedictory plea, The Best Is Yet To Come, is a song in a million. No wonder many singers, such as Judy Collins and Justin Hayward, have covered it. I know of very few songs so brief and yet so perfect.
The songs of CTW should be in everyone`s collection. They are unique, beautiful, redemptive, addictive.
He died of his bitterly-endured MS in 2001 at the age of 57. He is very much missed.
Listen to his songs, keep him alive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Both Of Us (Audio CD)
I really bought this album so I could listen to "The Best Is Yet To Come", although I was also interested in listening to some CTW songs that you don't hear on the radio. I have to say this album is extraordinarily good. There are very few albums I have listened to where every song is brilliant......doesn't matter who the artist is, there are usually a couple of "fillers" on any album....not here. Haunting, atmospheric and song writing brilliance is how I would sum up this album. Listening to this album you are also reminded of something, that deep down, we all know anyway.....commercial success in the music industry is absolutely no barometer of musical ability. You will not see this demonstrated more starkly than with the music of Clifford T Ward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought back memories, 3 Sep 2012
This review is from: Both Of Us (MP3 Download)
A must for all fans. What a tragedy that he was taken from us so young but his songs will live on .....

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Both Of Us (Audio CD)
Why did I wait so long to buy this album? Probably because I never saw it in the shops. My fifth CTW album(first one vinyl in the eighties) and definitely the best by far. No need to cherry-pick tracks, these are all winners - favourites tracks ;1 and 12 but the rest just get better with listening. Great guitar on Before The World Was Round and Still Not Free (Al Hodge, I think?)Has to be in my top 10 albums - a real gem - so glad I found it at last!

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated genius, 15 Jun 2009
This review is from: Both Of Us (Audio CD)
It's one of the great mysteries why Clifford T Ward did not become a megastar. This CD contains some of his most exquisite songs. Moving, lyrical, melodic.

Both Of Us
Both Of Us by Clifford T. Ward (Audio CD - 2012)