Format: DVD|Change

on 4 June 2002
My, now 1 year old, has been watching this and Baby Mozart and Baby Bach from the age of a few weeks. They have captivated him from the outset and provided me with 20 or so precious minutes of 'time-out' (yes, I know you are supposed to interact with the baby whilst watching the video, but I'm not perfect!). One year on, and we have 'progressed' to Baby Van Gogh and Shakespeare - with the same amazing results. We have loads of other children's videos (Teletubbies, Tweenies, Bear in the Big Blue House, etc) but NONE hold his attention the way these do and as a result, he is enthralled by all classical music where-ever he hears it.
on 8 January 2002
6 weeks ago I bought my baby girl, now 8 eight months old, the Baby Mozart, Baby Bach and Baby Einstein videos. She enjoys watching Baby Mozart best and also likes Baby Bach, but I'm afraid Baby Einstein does not keep her attention for long. As a qualified linguist, I also question the uncontextualized use of foreign languages on the video: watching and hearing people count and say the alphabet in various languages while watching a static flower or other picture has no purpose, really, and will most probably not encourage language acquisition. While I would recommend Baby Mozart and Baby Bach, I would not do so for Baby Einstein.
on 14 September 2001
This video is excellent. The music and images immediately attract my children's attention. My three year old tries to recite the words to the songs. She listens intently to the foreign language versions of songs that she already knows. My one year old focuses on the pictures and has started to try and call out the names of the things he can see on the screen.
I'm not a big fan of pushy educational materials for kids, and I certainly wouldn't want to force learning on them for the sake of it. But this video is fun, they genuinely like it, and they will sit quietly to watch and listen.
I've also found it really helps at the end of the day to calm down overexcited children before bedtime. I even find it quite relaxing myself!
on 29 July 2003
We have the earlier titles in the series - Mozart, Bach, Shakespeare, Einstein. We were pleased when the new colour and language tapes became available. However, watching the "language nursery" tape we were surprised at how much of it is directly copied from the "baby einstein" tape earlier in the series. Whole sections are identical visuals, patterns, even counting to twenty in various languages. Obviously the videos sell so well at £9.99 that someone realised that they could simply repackage whole chunks of previously released work without going to all the trouble of developing new content. Very disappointing, don't waste your money if you already have the earlier tapes. We won't be, in future.
on 15 May 2007
A very disappointing purchase. Images/toys etc. are nowhere near as good as the others in this series. Agree is a rehash of other clips and some of the clips are so slow it is excruciating to watch!
on 1 February 2003
My daughter first viewed Baby Einstein when she was almost 2yrs old - the recommended age is up to 18 months - however, she loved it and now, at over 3 yrs she is still enjoying it.
She first viewed baby Mozart at about 1 yr and loved it, then progressed to Baby Bach and later to Baby van Gogh / Shakespeare / Doolittle / Beethoven / Newton - basically all the possible videos available in the range - some of which I had to buy direct from the company in America. She also has a number of Baby Einstein toys, cd's and books, including some of the puppets and, even now, asks if there are any new ones coming out!
Overall they were one of the best buys I have ever made. All have been well watched and, if she sees a painting in a book will recognise a Van Gogh (as seen on the video), equally, hearing a piece of classical music will say "that's from Bach or from Beethoven" etc. She has a love of music and poetry, even at such a young age and I'm sure watching these videos regularly has played a part in it. The music is also very relaxing for the parent hearing it time and time again - unlike many of the usual children's theme tunes.
My daughter has a large collection of all sorts of childrens videos, all of which have been regularly watched, but I still think the Baby Einstein range is her favourite.
I have awarded this particular video 4 stars, whereas I would give 5 to all the others in the range, simply because this was the first one to be made by the company, it is more basic than the others - because it was made at home by a mother initially to entertain her own children and it later became available to the public. The others in the range have built on the success of this basic one and widened the audience. Many of the later issues are geared to children up to 4 yrs and are much more professional productions. I have also enjoyed receiving the latest editions to the collection as each one includes some footage of the children of the founder, Julie Aigner-Clark and it has been interesting to see them develop and grow too.
Now the company has been sold to Disney and I believe it is their intention to develop the range further to cater for older children. I'm looking forward to their next endeavours.
on 17 June 2003
My baby is only 3 months old and the recommended age for Language Nursery is 1yr+ but she still enjoyed watching the pictures. I liked the fact that you could choose to repeat the 'show' if you liked without having to do it manually. It's just a sequence of pictures or colours with a voice-over in various languages which ranges from counting in German, to the Russian alphabet to the English Jack and Jill.
on 1 May 2009
This is such an awful product. How can you have the 'instructions' at the end of the video? I watched the video and then watched the instructions. It is just random items on the screen with people speaking different languages! What is the point of that? It reminds me of Blankety Blank without the cheque book and pen!
on 26 February 2006
Disappointed with the choice of languages, eg too much hebrew and not enough french. Very surprised that arabic wasn't included to balance the hebrew. Considering that Mandarin is the most spoken language and will be even more widespread when our children have grown up I found its omission baffling.
The clips accompanying the numbers one to twenty in different languages should also have been relevant (eg twenty objects) instead of random clips from previous DVDs. Ambitious project but needed more thought.
on 19 April 2003
What an excellent idea! This video is captivating and educational. As a first time mom I had read how babies can absorb sounds from other languages at such an early age. It may seem strange for you to be hearing counting and familiar sayings and rhymes in English, French, Russian, etc but your baby will love it. Don't worry about confusing them because they will be delighted with all the images from a baby's world. They love seeing the teddy bear pop up and goldfish at the start. So it's visually and audibly great for them.
I first saw this in the US and borrowed it from a friend. My 6 month old watches it frequently and it always calms her down and keeps her attention more than any toy could. Now I'm oredering it for friends as presents and for when we're back in the UK. Thank goodnesss it's available over there as it's fantastic.