Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 June 2003
Weird but inspired, this album is dedicated to Peter Green, founder of the original blues based Fleetwood Mac, and is so clever that you really can believe that it’s Green himself - his songs, the guitar he used on them (given to Gary Moore by him, clearly cherished and beautifully played) and, most bizarrely of all, his voice.

Gary Moore has painstakingly produced one of the very best tribute albums possible - not only does it often improve on the originals (in particular “Long Grey Mare” and “I Loved Another Woman”) while brilliantly re-interpreting others, most notably the breathtakingly long work-out of “Looking For Somebody”, but it helped stimulate the great UK bluesman out of retirement. Reason enough on its own for serious praise but, quite regardless of all this, a brilliant album in its own right. If you're into classic UK R&B, don't miss it.
I first heard a couple of tracks from this played on Paul Jones radio 2 show several years ago, when driving home from work, and immediately bought the CD.

Then a couple of months later I found there was a double CD After Hours/Blues for Greeny. So I bought that as well. Now I had two copies. Fortunately, a friend visiting us was also entranced by Blues for Greeny, so my first buy promptly became his birthday present.

Six years later this is still one of my favourites, and the more I listen to it the better it gets, even when comparing it directly with A Hard Road featuring Peter Green at his best. This is a passionate British Blues collection, as originally created by Peter Green, and now lovingly revelled in by Gary Moore.

The sleeve notes are excellent, and offer some revealing history about why Gary recorded the CD and how Peter Green gave him his guitar and blessing to use it.

Gary Moore is simply one of the best guitarists ever, and using Peter Green's original guitar he can do no wrong. As this CD proves.
on 5 December 2006
This tribute to Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac is as sincere as you could wish to find. Using Green's famed Les Paul, Moore performs a range of his songs with admirable results.

Moore perhaps mimics Green a little too much, but in doing so he rolls back the distortion and demonstrates a controlled mastery of the instrument.

This is probably worth buying for Driftin' alone - an 8 minute masterclass in classic blues.

If you can still get it, the live video of the gig staged at Shepherd's Bush Empire is well worth getting, as Moore lets loose a little more, and does a great version of Ellmore James' Dust My Broom.
Gary Moore is a sublime and superb musician. I bought the cassette (yes) of this when it was released and still have it. I knew of Gary Moore's talent but also, Peter Green who I first heard live at Mothers Club in Birmingham with the original Fleetwood Mac in 1968. His guitar work was so economical and emotional. I put him up with the greats (Hendrix is mine) for the delivery in a distinctive style. Having had this, now on CD, also, for several years, and in possession of Gary's recent tribute to Hendrix, my obvious conclusion is that Gary Moore, if anyone doubted, is not just a brilliant bluesman and guitarist, but understands where his influences lie. He didn't need to do this but I guess he had to.

Gary Moore is just magnificent. Using Peter Green's own guitar given to him by the man himself, tuned to perfection, he justifies the faith in the output. Peter may have later slipped off the rails but what a performer! Turning up with Fleetwood Mac as often or not unexpectedly with a handful of brilliant compositions, toleration was in order. Mick Fleetwood and the band knew his habits, problems and his genius.

Gary Moore produces not just the sound of Peter Green but the heartache that must have inspired and followed him. An absolutely prestigious and emotional experience full of admiration and respect. Recommended for any musical enthusiast as Gary Moore and Peter Green are both exceptional exponents of their arts.
on 29 September 2013
Gary Moore did this abum not as a tribute but as thank you mark of respect for probably the best white blues guitarist still alive namely Peter Greenbaum, aka Peter Green best known for Fleetwood Mac. These are Peter Green tracks that show the brilliance of the two of them; both Peter and in Gary in being able to play them with the same panache and style that was Peter Green but still have the Gary Moore trademark. The write up is also really quite touching and shows that Peter Green was and is a really great guy who clearly saw Gary's brilliance from day 1 and even sold him his own 1959 Gibson Les Paul for peanuts!. How many can claim to have done that for anyone else?. I saw the Blues for Greeny Concert too (and recommend you buy it too) I paid a fortune for a tout ticket and would do it again, it was a night thats never been bettered. I truly love and respect both of these terrific blues guitarists and singers for their brilliance and talent. I wish Peter had not turned his back all those years ago, and darling Gary was still here, he was taken far too soon. RIP
on 11 June 2012
Wanted this CD because I'm in a retro mode at the moment probably my age, I've had nothing of Gary Moore before but i'm into history of him and Peter Green.
Went to see Skid Row when I was about 20 in Derby above Burtons and the Lead guitarist was this 18 year old lad who was brilliant remember him playing 'Ain't gonna work on Maggie's Farm no more' by Dylan brilliant never heard a version since to better it. Went up to talk to him and his string finger was split and bleeding don't know how he was playing! Anyway found out a lot later this was Gary Moore. Everybody knows the history of Peter Green, what a life he's wasted!
Anyway back to the CD - brilliant guitar playing obviously but to me there is is no soul in the voice ala Peter Green, end of story only played it once, I'll try again later.
Still worh having in your collection though!
on 19 April 2012
If you wanted to educate anyone in the beauty and passion of Blues, buy this album.

Great guitaring throughout and Gary Moore's voice was under-rated too.

This CD makes you feel good ALL day.
on 8 September 2000
If you like the blues you will love this album. As most of the songs will be familier you can get into it stright away - no delay. Peter Green laid down some good stuff, which is all the better for Gary Moore extended versions of these familier songs. If you think you like the blues but your not sure, try this and you will be in no doubt - Its great!
on 15 October 2014
Anyone trying to emulate Peter Green is in for a tough challenge. Gary Moore does a very good job here but knowing all the originals I am afraid, for me, he does not reach the genius of the originals.
on 21 March 2014
So pleased I bought this. I've got numerous Gary Moore CDs, most of which I like, but this one is quite different. Still the same excellent guitar work, but the variety of styles makes this a refreshing addition to the collection.