If you have a laptop which you use a lot on a portable basis so are not deskbound and on which you find the installed "finger pad" or Joystick mouse is either too sensitive or on long usage gets cumbersome then this is the answer to your prayers.
It is small (though unlike portable phone keypads etc loses nothing in dexterity); it is based on a simple ergonomic design which by its shape fits almost like an egg shaped billiard ball or squash ball between your fingers when being used; the cable is retractable so you can lengthen to your speciifc need and it is USB port based, plus with optical eye avoids the problems of old "rubber ball" mice. Finally, the item worked straight away on plugging into my XP powered laptop.
An answer to my prayers and I say this having worked through about five so called "portable mice" with my laptops over the last ten odd years which either "burnt out" after several months usage or just fell apart.
And finally all at a knockdown bargain price from Amazon - what more could you ask for!
Using a notebook computer on the move as part of my job, I could never find a mouse which was small enough to travel with, but comfortable enough to use that it gave me the 'feel' of desktop type mouse. The 'touch pad' type interface on most modern laptops are simply not an option for me, since I just can't get on with them, so needed a mouse which would give me a better feel with my notebook.
This I got, fortunately, with the Targus super mini mouse. It's quite small (and therefore light to travel with) but feels quite solid and precise and is a pleasure to use. It's got a modern USB connection (so no problems connecting it, just 'plug and play') and has a really handy scroller wheel to go up and down in say a large spreadsheet: which saves you dragging the mouse all over the place, so great when you're on the move or have a smaller desk.
The real handy thing about it is its retratable cable though. When you take the mouse with you, you can keep it tidy (and tangle free) by simply pulling the cable from both sides to retract the cable: no hassle.
Overall a great product, and as I say, a real joy to use.
on 1 November 2004
I wanted a mouse to use with a new Laptop but wanted a retractable cable. Having used a similar type of cable for my PDA I gave the Targus a go.
It's fantastic! It IS small but I now find this more comfortable to use than a full size version. The cable retraction works well.
All in all a great mouse!
on 3 February 2004
I bought this as a second 'kiddie-sized' mouse so my son could manage to play games on his own. It's great as the USB connection means I can have both mice on at the same time and don't get told off for helping out when he gets stuck. The retractable cable is fairly fragile, so I invested in a chunkier extention (this does not apply to sharp-suited businesspeople, just rowdy children!)
All in all a great buy, particularly for that little person in your life.
on 10 September 2003
An absolute must for anyone who struggles with the finger tip or touch mouse built-in to most modern laptop computers. Good quality build from a reputable manufacturer, the mouse feels comfortable in the hand and works straight out of the box. The retractable cord is easy to use and the design of the cord storage prevents snagging and knots. All of my colleagues who've seen and tried it have purchased same day. Only slight downside is that it seems a bit heavy on battery usage. Comes with a handy storage bag and for the price it can't be beaten.
on 22 August 2006
I'm actually logged in to buy another of this, & seeing the mixed reviews, thought I'd add my tuppence worth. Personally I love my little mouse, being a woman with relatively small hands I have no issue with the mouse being small, in fact I prefer it to some bigger mice. I have had my mouse for over 2 years, & use it regularly with my work laptop, without any issues. My husband (an IT technie) derides it, & has declared it too small for him. The reason I am buying another one is that my 2 year son has claimed ownership of it, as he uses it to play his "Dora" games on our home PC. The mouse is ideal for kids - he can happily use it by himself.
on 5 April 2008
Having just bought a laptop I missed the convenience of having a scrolling wheel. When I saw this mouse I thought I'd give it a go, it doesn't cost much so not much to loose. Personally I love it being so small and retractable cables are also a good thing in my opinion. It always comes with a little bag to keep it in as well. As I mainly use it for scrolling the size isn't an issue, but some people might find it a bit awkward to use, especially if you are use to PC sized ones.

The only problem I have is that the left button isn't always responsive. I find that I have to push down hard to get it to actually register. The left button works perfectly though. For that reason I have given it 4 stars rather than 5.
on 13 April 2011
I purchased this mouse for my laptop as I just can't seem to get to grips with the touchpad. I just love this little mouse! It is indeed very small and lightweight but is surprisingly comfortable and easy to use and means that I can work effectively and efficiently on my laptop when I am travelling. I have had the mouse for 6 years now and it is showing no signs of age, despite extensive use. With the retractable cord it fits neatly and snugly into my laptop case with no chance of entanglement. I love it for travelling and wouldn't do without it but a larger mouse would be a better choice for anyone working for perhaps more than 2-3 hours at a time on their laptop.
on 4 April 2010
Bought for use with our new laptop. Nice and easy to use. Was concerned that the size might only be good for the kids but I find it great to use. No problems for adult hands.
on 2 December 2004
Bought this for my 5 yr old daughter who keeps borrowing my Targus Mini mouse and never puts it back in my bag. It is perfect for her, too small in my opinion for an adult, but for children it is spot on.