4.0 out of 5 stars A grower..., 26 Sep 2005
This review is from: Beauty (Audio CD)
I 'discovered' Ryuichi first through the track he did with David Sylvian, Forbidden Colours, and then through a gradual relisation that he had written many fine film scores. I decided that I needed to dip my toe a little further into the Sakamoto back catalogue, and decided that this looked like a choice as good as any.
First off, this is definitely an album of its time. Originally released in 1989, it could quite happily sit alongside other releases from back then. It has a fair peppering of Youssou N'Dour for instance, much loved vocalist of artistes such as Peter Gabriel and Sting. It does however have a heavy Japanese influence from Ryuichi, and a strong ethnic feel to several of the tracks. The final track Chinsagu No Haga for instance is simple and quite beautiful.
Some of the tracks that have English Lyrics do make me think of those Japanese T-shirts that have English words on them that do not make much sense if you understand the language. Lyrics such as 'Good Morning, Good Evening, Where are you?' or 'What's all wet or upside down? What's inside out except late at night?' I actually think that as in other tracks it would have been better to sing them in Japanese and provide an English Translation.
I have listened to this a few times now and it is definitely growing on me. After the first listen I really wasn't sure where to place it, how to feel about it. The more I listen to it however the more I enjoy the musicality of the tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars 19 Years ago..., 10 Sep 2009
This review is from: Beauty (Audio CD)
19 years ago I started the job I'm still doing now with a course. In this course there was a boy who had this cd. At that time I hadn't a cd player, so I asked him for a recorded cassette. I received it and listened to it some times and then I forgot it for some months...after few time I re-discovered it. There were days in which I had only that cassette on my player...until I bought the cd player and Beauty in cd too. I really love this cd, with all his japanese and english textures, not forgetting some southern american and senegalese influences (listen to Youssou N'Dour in Diabaram). After 19 years a masterwork for me. Thank you Mr Sakamoto

4.0 out of 5 stars Sakamoto: beauty + sophistication indeed, 26 Dec 2007
This review is from: Beauty (1989/90) (Audio CD)
i've long been a big fan of this album :sakamoto's "beauty" is a fine album with many peak moments combines elements of his film score , yellow magic orchestra pop era, reflective nocturnal tracks + sprightly 80's pop-funk. the album is both undoubtedly oriental in use of traditional japanese melodies + perhaps zen like sometimes oblique lyrics but oozes class, sophistication, east meets west invention + a variety of colours for yr aural pleasure. prince stlye funk one minute, ravel-esque strings, oriental vocals+ songs, ravshing piano + strings the next. slighly 80's in places but undeniably lovely overall.

i'd also recommend sakamoto + alva noto's lush minimal piano/glitch cd "Insen" from the late 2000's also for a more contemporary reflective hybrid.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite albums...ever, 20 July 2012
Ryuto (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beauty (Audio CD)
I love this CD with its fusion of Japanese and world music. Asadoya Yunta is just so catchy that once I hear it, it lodges in my mind for days. It is 'of its time' but then isn't every album?

Buy this very reasonably priced CD listen to it a few times and I feels sure you'll discover elements of it you enjoy and perhaps you'll even fall in love with it as I have.

Beauty (1989/90)
Beauty (1989/90) by Ryuichi Sakamoto (Audio CD)