5.0 out of 5 stars Down & dirty R'n'B at its best, 21 Dec 2007
Comical Engineer "comicaleng" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: What's The Word? (Audio CD)
Meet me at the bottom, bring me my running shoes. You can't keep still to this album. The sound is straight out of the 1950s, played on instruments from the time and sympathetically recorded to enhance that R'n'B atmosphere. This is rough, raw, and makes you want to get on the dance floor. It's also just fine in the car where you can boogie along nicely.

Think early Elvis, Elmore James, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry & James Brown. Throw in some Curtis Mayfield, a bit of Ray Charles and pound it out loud and proud. This is, to me, what Eric Clapton ought to sound like instead of the anaesthetic stuff he churned out with BB King.

If you like your R&B raw and living then this album is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars SCORCHIO !!, 9 Jun 2006
Mr. I. Stephen "dj_dadrock" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: What's The Word? (Audio CD)
There's some sterling stuff on their other early albums up to '82, but this is the one. It's the sound that does it - mixed very raw and up-front and the band really cook throughout with a fine mix of originals and covers. Also, I think that this was probably one of the albums that first nurtured a passion for rockin' R'n B for me way back when ( when John Peel played 'Extra Jimmies' on his show one night ). Thanks guys - the buzz is still with me. One of those albums that it's just impossible to sit still to - go fetch !

'Damn !!' as Jon Spencer would say ...

What's the word [VINYL]
What's the word [VINYL] by Fabulous Thunderbirds (Vinyl)