VINE VOICEon 21 October 2008
Classic album. A phrase often used, well for once the term is being applied wisely here. If i were to sit down and write down my top ten albums of all time this would be in there without hesitation.

Regatta De Blanc musically was the Police masterpiece, recorded before the media frenzy had gathered speed, the band had such a tight schedule of world tours restricting their creativity, and written before the need to dial out all the reggae stuff that Middle America couldn't handle.

This was as honest as the band got during recording an album and that is reflected in the feel and sound of the album. Sting, Andy and Stewart were really able to create the space around the instruments that became their trademark, and reached a standard of song writing that set standards of its own.

The songs themselves have a natural feel to them, with each musician shining through. Stings jazz influenced bassline in bring on the night, Andy's performance in Walking on the moon, Stewart driving along Message in a Bottle... Some of the tracks towards the end penned by Stewart are not in the same mould as Sting's but their inclusion here shows that at the time this was recorded, the band were still experimenting and not yet expecting every track to be a final polished product.

My summary of Regatta De Blanc is this. If an example is needed of a group finding their Mojo, this is it.
on 27 May 2014
Vocally Sting is at his best on this album and the songs are strong too. Great lyrics and some of The Polices best hits. A classic album which has stood the test of time and will remain a classic for many years to come.
on 9 April 2015
Great to hear this superb 1979 release again featuring 2 classic No.1 hits in the shape of 'Message In A Bottle' and 'Walking On The Moon' as well as 9 other powerful tracks including the lovely, melancholic 'The Bed's Too Big Without You' and the pacey 'Deathwish'. Fans of 'white reggae' should find little to complain about here; this is The Police at the top of their game as a tight, rock trio and, as other reviewers have suggested, 'Regatta', their debut LP 'Outlandos D'Amour' and 1983's 'Synchronicity' are probably the best albums to purchase from the band's back catalogue. Highly recommended.
on 28 November 2008
This is my favourite Police album by a mile. Not a weak song anywhere. The different styles of drumming, bass playing and guitar all fuse together majically. Copelands songs are actually my favourites.
on 18 November 2014
Let's keep this short and sweet. I've loved The Police since I first saw them singing Roxanne on Crackerjack in the late 70s when I was about ten years old. When I had enough money in secondary school I started picking up their records second hand. I'm listening to my vinyl copy of this album right now from all those years ago and it still sounds fabulous. The songs and musicianship on this album are first-class. Some songs are straight forward rockers with the trademark reggae influence in evidence whilst others have a greater degree of sophistication, such as Bring on the Night, which is enhanced beautifully by Andy Summers' stunning guitar work. (Andy Summers was an influence on my guitar playing all those years ago and still is now via his many years of terrific solo work).

It's stating the obvious when I say this is one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded but it truly is a classic.

Highly recommended!
on 2 November 2011
Ridiculously young when I first heard this album but its melodies and tunes have always stayed with me. I remember this album fondly and it has possibly the highest ratio of great tracks. Zenyatta and Ghost had a handful of stunning tracks between them but their first 2 albums (and possibly their last) held more in terms of quality.

Every song is a favourite apart from perhaps the last 2 tracks, although 'Does Everyone Stare' is a pretty good song. Highlights are tricky as there are so many but at a push I'd have to go for 'Bring on the Night', 'The Bed's Too Big', the title track and 'It's alright For You'. As well as the more obvious singles that everybody has heard time and time again.

Although it is slightly dated the quality of the tunes stand out above this. That they have endured is evidence of the band's song-writing greatness. A definite classic for lovers of ANY type of music.
on 18 April 2001
The Police became the biggest band in the world before they split in 1983 following the huge Synchronicity Tour which included a Beatles emulating 70,000 gig at New York's Shea Stadium. Although greatness on the global scale did not develop for the trio until '83, their songs and energy exceeded all their peers and Regatta de Blanc is perhaps the finest of their five albums. Opening with the all-time classic Message in a Bottle which flows into a euphoric instrumental that shares it's name with the album itself, the listener is hearing something special. It's Alright For You is a rocker while the sublime Bring on the Night shows the Police at their most captivating, fusing a glorious fingerpicked riff with a blatantly reggae chorus effortlessly. Deathwish is then followed by Walking on the Moon with it's big bass and echo guitar and frantic but discreet drumming. The quirky On Any Other Day is comedic in lyric but retains the skillful craftmanship of all tracks on this album. The outlandish reggae on The Bed's Too Big Without You is immense and the song has an eerieness in its feel. I'm sure all know of the Police but what Andy Summers, Stewart Copeland and Sting achieved as a three-piece should not be understated. It's just a pity they could only hold their fragmented inter-personal relationships together for 5 albums. Good while it lasted.
I had bought this album for around £4 (used to save for months) shortly after it was released in late 1979.

The long gone and sorely missed "Vinyl era", original track listing.

Side one:

3. The Bed's Too Big Without You (Sting) – 4:26
4. Contact" (Copeland) – 2:38
5. Does Everyone Stare (Copeland) – 3:52
6. No Time This Time (Sting) – 3:17

Only the first song on each side were released as singles. Yet my personal favourites were and still are "Bring on the night", "Bed's too Big Without you", "On any other day" and "Contact" and "Deathwish".

I do consider Stewart Copeland to be one of the world's best drummers. The Police have always been my all time favourite band, consider their first 3 albums as real masterpieces. I would highly recommend seeking the vinyl versions, as they are a part of history.
22 comments5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2005
This is the album which (on the back of Outlandos d'Amour) catapulted The Police to worldwide superstardom, and both remained in the top 100 of the album chart for more than a year. Message In A Bottle starts the ball rolling, and immediately immerses you in the music - less high energy than Outlandos, but definitely pioneering a new musical direction - white reggae - epitomised by the great title track. The whole band play well, but Copeland edges it for me, his brilliant drumming so expressive, but not overpowering. Apart from Messaage, the other highlights are Bring On The Night, Walking On The Moon, and Bed's Too Big Without You. I would like to have given it 5 stars, but somehow the album loses its way slightly on side two - the two tracks written by Copeland not really up to the standard of the rest, I feel. The closing track, No Time This Time, is the B-side to So Lonely, and is a return to their punky roots - a good song, but it almost seems out of place here, because the band have already moved on.
on 5 October 2007
I was bought this album when I was six years old and The Police have been my favourite band since. I can't tell you how many times I have listened to this album and I haven't got bored of it yet. I was so pleased when CDs came out because my original tape was getting worn out. I still listen to this album today and as I get older I seem to enjoy and appreciate it even more. Stand out tracks for me are 'Reggatta De Blanc', 'Bring On The Night', 'Beds Too Big' and 'Deathwish'. Everyone should have this album in their collection if they claim to like great music.