1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Good... but different than usual, 31 May 2003
This review is from: Questions And Answers [CD 1] (Audio CD)
After listening to the first single (The Ideal Height) from their forthcoming album "The Vertigo Of Bliss", I got quite excited to listen to their new single, "Questions & Answers" as I put the CD into my CD-player. Well... the first impression I got was not a very good one, I have to admit it. But after listening to all 3 tracks a few more times I started to give in to these Biffy Clyro's new songs. It seems that "Questions & Answers" doesn't sound like a typical Biffy Clyro song. It sounds too much like some mainstream rock song, with a bit of "radio-friendlyness" thrown into it as well. What I'm trying to say is that as a rock song, "Questions & Answers" really cuts the mustard and is simply great, but as a Biffy Clyro song... well... It just feels too different from their usual style (not enough chaotic and emotional sounds as previously released singles, such as 57 and Justboy to name a few).
The two b-sides included are nice. "Good Practice Makes Permanent" sounds a bit more like Biffy Clyro, but they use a different guitar (at least it sounds like they do) so, once again, makes this song feel somewhat different. Anyway, it has some nice bone-crunching guitar moments as we're used to listen to in Biffy Clyro's songs.
I found the real surprise in this CD-Single to be the other b-side included, "Let's Get Smiling"! It is a slow, almost sad, song, and it sounds really sweet... You just have to hear it!
The "Questions & Answers" single (as a whole) feels to me like the band's most "least Biffy Clyro's CD-Single" to date, as it has a particular kind of music, slightly different from what they used to perform. After listening carefully to their last singles ("The Ideal Height" and "Questions & Answers") I can't help to feel Biffy Clyro are taking their music to new heights. Maybe the band is just growing up, or decided to make a twist in their original sound, but that we will only be able to confirm when their new album is released.
The bottom-line: Biffy Clyro true fans *may* be a little disappointed at first (I am and I did), but aftering listening more carefully we are rewarded with a slightly new kind of sound in Biffy Clyro's music. For those of you who know little about Biffy Clyro, I would recommend you to buy other singles first (like 27, 57, Justboy or Joy.Discovery.Invention).
This is one band that just can't make bad songs, so I recommend it to anyone thinking about buying it.