Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 January 2006
At last I have got round to digitising my vinyls to put on my ipod. The first to go from my aged vinyl collection was 2 low 4 zero, probably my favourite (Elton John) album of all time. The second to go under the digitising axe was the underrated, but brilliant; The Fox. On side 1, "Nobody Wins" must be one of his best tracks not written by Bernie. Gary Osborne wrote or co-wrote many of this side's songs.
Side 2 is not the backside of this album, it is utterly superb! The instrumental Carla/Etude and Fanfare blending into Chloe (another Osborne), followed by Heels of the Wind, Elton's Song (Tom Robinson co-writer) and finally the thought provoking and haunting, "The Fox" rounds off this cracking album.
This is EJ at his best in the early 80's.
This collection from 1981 has nearly gone unnoticed, probably due to the lack of input from Bernie Taupin. It is filled with great uptempo, complex arrangments like, "Breaking Down Barriers" and"Fascist Faces". "Just Like Belgium" is one of Elton's most upbeat romantic songs since the mid-seventies and "Carla/Etude/Fanfare" (which runs into) "Chloe" is a testament to Elton John's creativity. However, the best song on the album and the only single, "Nobody Wins" beats out the rest for arrangment, lyrics and heartfelt tearjerking. Amazingly, this single is omitted from all collections. I wish someone would explain this mystery to me.
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2004
The Fox,together with 21@33 must be two of Eltons most underrated albums.Why they have been so critically slated,I have never been able to fathom.The song content is varied and interesting and in some cases quite complex.definitely worth a listen.
on 17 April 2012
Loved this as a student and had lost my recording so bought it on a whim all these years later. Still love it!
on 5 May 2016
If you want an introduction to the music of Elton John, this is not the right place to start. There are sufficient good moments to merit three stars, but the consistency of earlier albums is missing. Most of the tracks are distinctly average, but it is likely that "Breaking Down Barriers" and "Chloe" will impress. There is, however, one glorious song which deserved to be a hit when released as a single, but which struggled to climb the charts: it's "Nobody Wins", a song of hopelessness, yet one which benefits from a reserved Latin beat, a strong melody and a superb vocal performance. Overall, "The Fox" is most likely to find favour with Elton John fans looking for the lesser-known albums. For 'beginners', there is much, much better out there.
on 5 November 2013
Most of the tracks excellent really enjoy listening to it known to me already one of the EJ CD's I didnt purchase at time of release and decided recently to include it in my EJ collection as some of the tracks are really good.
on 1 February 2016
Carla/Etude merging into Chloe is probably one of my favourite Elton tracks of all time. A much under-rated album in which Elton comes clean about his sexuality with co-writer Gary Osborne, especially on ELTON'S SONG. I especially love Chloe, as Elton's singing voice at this time was at its best and the sincerity in its delivery is superb on this sub-track. "Just Like Belgium" is another classic upbeat uptempo track, I love driving to this track on an open road, obviously adhering to the speed limit, of course. NEDBOD
on 10 June 2014
I bought this because I had lost my vinyl copy of this album and this brought back many happy memories.
on 25 October 2013
Whilst not a classic, this is a very worthy album and is so overlooked.
Carla/Etude and Fanfare is beautiful and haunting - it deserves to be heard more widely.
I agree the beside is strong and certainly does not fade. Infact I prefer it.
I like Elton when he writes an album and not just for the singles market.
Give this a listen. Recommended.
on 17 December 2011
This album has been greatly overlooked and even forgotten, most probably due to it not having a strong hit single.
The music is an 80's time capsule with some great uptempo riffs and touching ballads. It has become my latest favourite album and I listen to it on nearly a daily basis.
Songs of note are the magnificently orchestrated Carla/Eltude showcasing Elton's talent as a classically trained artist as well as the touching Elton's Song that was at the time of the album's released controversial due to it's homosexual notions.
The Fox is an underrated album sporting quite a few likable tunes. I would recommend to anybody that would like to explore Elton's 80's catalog.