2,069 Reviews
 (1,728)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - What a suck on this little cleaner
Published on 28 Nov. 2005 by Alan, Cardiff

1.0 out of 5 stars Henrybastard.
This hoover began smelling of sick after about a year's moderate use. Tried changing bags, filters, washing out the tubes, etc. which gave a slight improvement each time, but the stench returned unflinchingly. By the time I realised the issue was the motor itself spewing out the putrid stench, the warranty had expired. According to the online grapevine, this is a...
Published 6 months ago by McKie

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - What a suck on this little cleaner, 28 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black (Kitchen & Home)
Had to replace my Dyson DC01 upright vacumm cleaner because it had lost suck, too heavy, was fed up with unblocking it and the main reason being I don't have many carpeted rooms any more. Considered the Dyson DC08/11 but were too complex and as everyone gave the Henry a 5 star it had to be the smiling red one. Cheaper aswell! Can't recommend this enough - never have my nooks and crannies been so clean. Sucks up every thing even bits of paper with ease. Good qualtity tools, a metal pole that is very sturdy and it is so easy to store away with its wind-up cable. Forget the "no loss of suction" claim from Dyson, this Henry has bags of it. Very happy - 5 out of 5. ps - the other good point about Henry are the bags - £5 for 10 and your don't get covered with dust when you exchange like my old Dyson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hetty vacuum, 13 April 2010
Hi there. After reading all the reviews on here after I broke my old vacuum cleaner, I bought a Hetty. It is exactly the same as Henry but is pink with eyelashes. I chose it because I didn't want to spend more than £100 but after years of cheap and useless machines I should find something which will actually work. I became slightly obsessed with finding the "right" vacuum and even signed up to which? where I discovered that I wouldn't get much for under £180. For days I trawled internet sites looking for my dream machine when I saw the lady who cleans the communal areas of our block dragging a Henry through the car park on his head. He didn't seem to mind and when i asked her if he was any good, she raved for about 10 minutes about how she would never use anything else. I later asked around my office and found that a few peeps swore by Dysons but others raved about Henry. I bit the bullet and bought Hetty from a small company (she was cheaper than the amazon price) and waited with baited breath.

I live in a rented flat with cream carpets which I have just shampooed ready for my boyfriend to move in. I figured they were pretty clean although they'd got a bit dusty and fluffy in the week since my old hoover broke. As soon as Hetty arrived I put her together and gave the flat a good going over. I have laminate, lino and carpets and she was brilliant on all of them. I used the Hi power setting a few times but it lifted the carpet right off the floor so I went back the normal setting and it was still really effective. There were a few spots where I'd moved furniture and the pile was flat. I used Hetty on Hi setting using just the end of the hose and it picked the pile up a treat.

I did noticed that when I pushed the lever to use the brushes on my carpet, it didn't really work. The brushes seemed to velcro themselves to my carpet and it was impossible to move the vacuum head back and forwards. So far this hasn't been a problem as it does the job really well without using the brushes.

After using it I couldn't resist having a look to see how much it had picked up. I was truly disgusted when I looked in the bag. Loads of grey muck and dust which was pretty grim given that I thought my newly shapooed carpet were lookin good.

The hose is nice and long so in a smallish flat like mine I don't seem to be tugging it around all the time and the cable is dead long so I can do all of my rooms from one socket. The piece de resistance is the little pink shopper that came with Hetty to put all the brushes and tools in. I had a quick go with the tools and they were brilliant on skirting boards and coving. I have been really impressed with this vacuum and would recommened it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Henry's just keep on going!, 25 July 2005
A. Cumming "cummingam" (St.Albans) - See all my reviews
My first (but not last!) Henry has just died after 20 years loyal service. During which time he has taken several knocks and falls that would have destroyed (or at least severally damaged) most other machines. He has managed to consume huge amount of builders related mess as well as normal household dust and items! The dust bag is twice the size found in a lot of other machines, so hardly ever needs changing; plus the machine may be operated without a dust bag if required.
Thus I have no hesitation in giving this machine a 5 star rating.
At the start of the year the model was upgraded to HVR200-22 (i.e. the one Amazon is currently selling). Beware many companies are still trying to sell the old 1100w version - hence their 'special / promotional' prices!
N.B the 'R' in HVR200-22 stands for Red. The machine is also available in Blue, Green and Yellow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Vacuum ever, 31 July 2012
I have for many years put up with awful vacuums. I refused to buy a dyson (just too expensive) and when I finally decided to buy myself a 'decent' vacuum I was torn between dyson and henry. I chose a henry because every office, building site and hotel I have ever seen a hoover in seems to have a henry, and now i see why!
The simple design is easy to use. Changing the bag takes seconds and I haven't yet needed to clean any filters or been surrounded in a plume of dust when i emptied it. As it's not bagless, all the dirt is disposed of in one easy step. The bags are massive, so take ages to fill, and are cheap to replace so tick all my boxes.
I have a cat and a toddler so the floors/stairs are always in need of a clean, and with Henry this is no trouble. My toddler loves his smiley face so doesn't mind the noise and Henry gets up everything. The attachments are perfect for getting in small corners, vacuuming ground-in breakfast cereal from upholstery, or attacking small areas like the door mat.
Also, Henry is nice and light with a big handle so he's no problem to carry up the stairs whilst vacuuming.I realise there is a reason that a product for which i haven't ever seen any advertising, has been selling well for decades.
If you're unsure what vacum to buy, make it a henry.
P.S. I was slightly worried that so many of the reviews for Henry were so good they must have been written by the manufacturer. Don't worry, i'm genuine :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Henry !, 23 Jun. 2011
My Dyson DC07 gave up the ghost at the weekend, and after finding out it would cost £90 to fix it i decided a change was needed.
I have always been a fan of upright vacuums and i researched many upright vacuums and came to the opinion that no upright vacuum in my price range was ever going to match up to my expectations and be similar to a Dyson . I acccidently came across reviews for Henry and i was very impressed with the opinions of other people who owned Henry .

I used my Henry for the first time today and im amazed by its power it made short work of our back porch which is a major dirt area and went through the kitchen with no problem plus the lounge which is laminate and as its open planned it sees quite a lot of high traffic but Henry tackled all the crumbs under the dining table with ease . I plugged "him" into one plug and this was great as no stopping to switch plugs . The stairs were also vacuum and again this was easy as the hose reached to the top stair. I then went onto the bedrooms the carpets were being lifted by the suction and after they looked brand new .

In conclusion i feel Henry does a great job and i hope i have many years use out of him .

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little chap, 21 Sept. 2006
T (England) - See all my reviews
I was fed up with carrying my old heavy hoover up and down the stairs, unclogging the rotating brush head, various parts breaking and above all; losing suction... it was my second Dyson... I read reviews before purchasing a new vacuum and was impressed by the reviews on 'Henry.' I can honestly say what a superb piece of machinery. 'Henry's compact, cute and super efficient. The two hoses together now means not having to balance the hoover against my shins on the stairs to reach the last few. The long lead also means not having to unplug it from downstairs to use upstairs (only a minor point, but still a plus). The suction is incredible, my house has never looked better. It's now a joy to vacuum and I have recommended 'Henry' to my family. I cannot praise 'Henry' enough. Go on, treat yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shear Brilliance, 21 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
Forget Dyson. Forget Hoover. Forget Nilfisk. Forget the rest. This is the best vacumn cleaner on the market. I have one myself and will have no other. We use them on building sites to clean up after working. They lift concrete dust, wood shavings, sawdust and soot, no problem. Tough and small they are indestructable!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a brilliant vacuum!!, 22 Dec. 2010
I first used one of these little wonders about 14 years ago when helping a friend of the family renovate his house. I was vacuuming up dust and small rubble with ease. I filled Henry up, emptied him and he carried on without complaint. Admittedly back then the main body was made of metal and now disappointingly Numatic have gone the cheap route with plastic, but I am still convinced Henry is pretty rugged. All the replacement parts are listed in the literature that come with Henry anyway so I imagine as the design has barely changed in years it would be easy to get spares and have him good as new again should anything break.

You could argue I didn't really need a new vacuum as the one I had wasn't broken although it was a bit old. I just didn't feel I was getting the suction power despite checking the filter and bag. Also I had long ago lost all the attachments. Henry on normal power is fairly average, but the boost function makes quite a big difference. I think I would still like a bit more oomph, but I didn't have much trouble at all picking up everything and I could feel him tugging on the carpet as I went. I think I would really struggle to move the head about if I had the brushes down in the nozzle, but I never needed them anyway. Henry comes with lots of attachments which are all really useful and easy to attach and detach. Using the handy attachments I found myself sucking up dust I would have previously moved with a duster so Henry really helped me get to every spot with great ease.

As has been said the cable is very long and it winds up and out very easily with a very light and smooth motion. Henry also wheels around the house very easily. In fact I almost feel bad when that smiley face hits a doorway as I tug him along!

At the end of the day it was a choice between a Miele or a Henry. I had already used a Henry and I think a decent Miele would have worked out more expensive and perhaps not been so easy to use. Henry certainly isn't a sexy vacuum, but if you can put that aside and bear in mind that the cleaning industry use them widely then if you don't get one perhaps you are more interested in looks and hype than functionality. I just wanted a reliable vacuum that worked well and that is exactly what I got with Henry!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT DESIGN FOR SUCTION, 27 Mar. 2009
My experience is with the Hetty 200A with the tritex filter.

I have not seen a review which mentions the suction efficiency of this cleaner.
From this point of view the design is much better than most vacuums because:
1/ the bag is very large and suction acts over a wide area
2/ suction takes place from higher than the bottom of the bag so that as dust is sucked in the dust settles at the bottom of the bag leaving the air inflow unblocked.
This is different from most vacs which tend to block as dust is sucked in, because the dust settles above the air inflow.
This is why a 1200w motor is more than enough for this vacuum - other vacs need more power to compensate for their bad design and of course it means that it is cheaper to run.

The bags, besides being large, are cheap to buy and are economical (ebay).

The filtering is very good also - again with a good large filter, much better than most vacuums with their totally inadequate filtering, which tend to let through the finer dust and blow it out continually.

I am impressed with it.

Bad points:
1/ Rather basic tools, with crude push in fittings (no latches), no telescopic tube. However, they do work OK.
2/ Higher centre of gravity so may not be quite so maneuverable as other 'low' cylinder vacs.
Despite these, I still recommend it because of the very good basic design.

Some people say this is not good on carpets.
I have not found that to be a problem, but I suggest you try to investigate this point before buying.

I bought a Miele (recommended by Which), before buying this. It packed in after not very much use.
The Miele was very flimsy and unimpressive (see my review on Amazon). I don't bother with Which reports now.

5.0 out of 5 stars delighted, 4 May 2007
At last the vacuum I've been looking for! I have owned several Dyson

(mine ALWAYS lost their suction), Panasonics, Hoovers, VAX - you name it and have always been dissapointed for one reason or another. This product is excellent - its lightweight enough to carry up and down stairs without any strain and has a good carry handle and cord rewind mechanism. It is very quiet on low and high suction - I've found low suction is perfectly adepquate for our carpets. The long handle avoids any back strain and it is MUCH easier to manouvre around all the edges than an upright. Why oh why didn't I buy one of these earlier! Fully recommended.