5.0 out of 5 stars The Old School teach us how it should be done
Published on 24 April 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars A lesson on why you should quit when you're ahead!
I bought this video with fairly low expectations, as I saw them on tour in Nottingham a few months after this was recorded and it is fairly obvious that they are just too old! The old deep purple albums are the stuff of legend, and their efforts in the early reunion days were solid, but this is yet another proof that they no longer have the fire to keep rocking. Gillan's...
Published on 26 Sep 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars The Old School teach us how it should be done, 24 April 2004
This review is from: Deep Purple-Perihelion [DVD] (DVD)
The year is 2001, its been 5 years since Guitar Maestro Steve Morse joinedthe Purpls and they gave us the magnificent Purpendicular album. A bitolder, a bit greyer, but the spirit is still there. The classics are allthere, Highway Star, Woman from Tokyo and the irrepressable Smoke on theWater. But alongside that they give stunning performances from the "Mk.Morse" era as well delving heavily into the Fireball album. Mary Long,from Who Do We Think We Are, also makes an appearance! All in all, thismakes for an incredibly varied setlist, something for everyone! Highlightsfor me are the extended Speed King (solos and duels galore!) and possiblethe most electric version of Highway Star since Made In Japan!
Theextras are a nice addition, the band as warm, inviting and opinionated asever! and Gillan's voice has stood the test of time, i rate this dvd 5stars for that alone, he's the best in the business!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perihelion a must watch DVD, 1 Sep 2002
For all Deep Purple fans this is a must. Compare the band on stage to the earlier DVD Come Hell or High Water and you will se the difference between a band in turmoil(Come Hell or High Water)and a band that are just having a good time making the best music in the world. Having watched this line up several times live I have waited for this DVD and boy was it worth the wait. The highlights for me are the superb guitar playing skills of Steve Morse, who has quite simply bought the band back from the brink of destruction. The exquisite When a Blind Man Cries and the sublime Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming showcase the man in all his glory and the magnificent keyboards of the immortal Jon Lord,( sorry Don, but Purple will proberly never be the same again).His playing on Lazy and Fools are the stuff of a genius at work. Gillans vocals are again top notch as is Roger Glover's bass & Ian Paice's drumming. There are for me no lowlights on this, but if I was to gripe Child In Time would have topped it. The interveiws give us a good insight to the band, but the one thing that hits you between the eyes is quite simply the band all get on with each other and it shows in the music. Here's to the next show.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Show - Poor Package, 2 Sep 2002
"There's no second chance to make a first impression" they say; my first impression - what a poor package!
A quick look at the back front and back covers (before taking the shrink-wrap off) reveals that it doesn't even have the concert details on it - where and when? - dunno! I suppose it'll all be on the lavish booklet inside....
Open the box and we find - yes, a stapled together, multipage booklet with all the... just a minute, it's an advert from the DVD company. Yes OK, so I can buy storage racks and other DVDs by obscure people I've never heard of, but where's the information about THIS DVD? Nowhere!
As a commercial DVD packaging exercise - this sucks, BIG TIME.

So, my expectations for playing the DVD were suitably low.

OK, into the player - main menu - select DTS soundtrack - press Play....

FANTASTIC!

All is (nearly) forgiven - the show rocks! Excellent sound quality (either DTS or Dolby Digital) and great pictures, although the editing leaves a bit to be desired - no close-ups when you need them in the solos. Oh well, this makes up for the cover; I can see they've spent the money on the content and... wait, where's the Steve Morse "Riff-Raff" intro to Smoke On The Water gone? To the cutting room floor! Oh dear! Never mind, in the backstage "extra feature" you can see Steve and Roger practicing it before they go onstage. D'oh!
The band's performance, however, is as fantastic as you would expect. Ian G in fine form, Jon Lord sparkling, Steve blows that other chap (him with the green tights and pixie hat) away completely, and Roger and Ian P - just fantastic!

So overall 10/10 for sound and picture quality, 10/10 for performance, 7/10 for show content, 3/10 for the DVD package.

Would I recommend it to my friends - Oh yes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Strong, 31 July 2006
This review is from: Deep Purple-Perihelion [DVD] (DVD)
This is a thoroughly enjoyable and great value DVD. The musicians perform superbly and there is a sense of optimism and fun throughout (Gillan's shiny red glam rock throw-back leather trousers might be taking the fun aspect a bit too far). The playlist includes some great old and newer tracks - including some from the 'Fireball' album which make refreshing additions. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars purple heaven, 30 Oct 2002
By A Customer
this dvd is astonishing from the very moment that ian paice kicks off "Woman from Tokyo" on his hi-hats to the very last chord resonating from my speakers i was in puple heaven. high points, well its hard to pick them out but for me , "Hush", "When a blind man cries" and "Sometimes I feel like screaming" are up there.
Steve Morse has revitalised this great band at every level and they pay wonderful personal tributes to him on the extra stuff bits of the dvd. its also wonderful to have this footage of john for the archive. in ways it was as good as seeing them live twice this year in hammersmith and ways it is better, after all you can play it over and over and over again.
classic, classic stuff well done the great DEEP PURPLE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Revitalized Purple magic, 23 May 2004
By A Customer
I bought this video partly because I had seen the group at Hammersmith in 2002, and partly because I wanted some hard evidence as to whether they could still cut it live after 35 years in the buisiness and with no Ritchie Blackmore, and the answer has to be a resounding YES! Morse has brought a whole new texture and level of excitement to the older songs as well as the Purpendicular numbers, and the rest of the band turn in a strong performance; Gillan hits the high notes (most of the time!) and Jon Lord and Ian Paice have in some fine moments . For me, the highlights are Mary Long, Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming, and Morse's magical guitar solo in 'Fools.' There is also a strong version of 'Highway Star,' more powerful I think than the version on 'Live at the Olympia.' Gillan's voice is also better than on the aforementioned CD. Good version of 'Speed King' with Ian Paice's drum solo just the right length and pretty powerful - the Lord/Morse duelling is good although I have heard a more atmospheric version of this. Whatever you think about the departure of Blackmore and the age of the original musicians, I implore you to forget this and and listen to the performance; the power, musicianship and showmanship simply speaks for itself. Experience does count for a lot! The camerawork and sound quality are also pretty good; each instrument is clearly audible in the mix although I have not heard the DVD version with 5.1 surround sound. Overall a fitting document of a strong mk7 performance. My only gripe would be no 'Fireball,' 'Knocking at your back Door' or 'Cascades' butstill, you can't have everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars TOO OLD? DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!, 21 Sep 2004
I am a major fan of Ritchie Blackmore, and confess that this is the first time I have seen Purple play with Steve Morse. I only know of Morse through his Dixie Dregs stuff, and the "Stressfest" album, and really couldn't see how he could fit into the DP line-up. WRONG! I know it's heresy, but this version of DP is the tightest I have seen. They play like they are actually ENJOYING the gig, smiles all round (I even think I saw Pace crack a wry smile, but I could be wrong). Great duels between Lord & Morse, a definite feeling that Gillan & Morse get on both personally & musically made the viewing of this vid a pleasure. OK so they are getting old, and may not have the drive of earlier reincarnations. Forget all that, and just enjoy a class act with the new kid on the block fitting like a glove! Is Morse better than Blackmore? No comparison, 2 very different players, but Morse plays it straight (mostly), and contributes immensly to a very enjoyable evening, both for them and the viewing audience. Buy it, you won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected!!, 22 Aug 2003
Lars Kjxlen (Heggedal, Akershus Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deep Purple-Perihelion [DVD] (DVD)
I was a bit skeptic when I ordered this DVD, no Blackmore and a old Gillan on vocal. How much had they lost the last years? My fears was blown away as soon as speeded off into Woman from Tokyo.
The band glove of will to play and it really looked like they enjoyed it! The loss of Blackmoore was not fatal either. Morse is a great guitarist and quite different from Blackmoore in sound. he plays whit a lot of ¿squeal¿ in the guitar and a more heavy distortion than what I¿m used to. he really smash up the sound a bit and makes the old goodies new and interesting. I am really looking forward to see them in Oslo Spectrum in November whit Morse. The play the standard songs whit Smoke on the water, Perfect Strangers, Woman from Tokyo, Lazy, Speed King and Highway Star at the end. The legendary hit Hush is also included.
If you have seen ¿Come hell or high water¿ you might have felt the tension in the band at that time, whit Blackmoore gone the mood is better and they are all smiling, not Childe in time but what can you expect. Buy this DVD and Come hell or high-water and be sure to catch the concert when they come to a place near you, this guys is still IN ROCK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful live concert., 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Deep Purple-Perihelion [DVD] (DVD)
A must for any Deep Purple fans. Strong performances from all members. Good sound and camera work. The other reviewer who commented on the skipping from Mary Long instrumental section into Lazy needs to replace his copy! Steve Morse is the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Purple performance, 30 May 2006
I bought the DVD version of this a couple of years ago, having previously owned the video version, and I must stress the importance of listening to the music though a decent hi -fi/ home cinema system, rather than simply though TV speakers, as this will enhance your enjoyment of the music considerably. Having listened to/watched the DVD many times over, I can honestly say that nearly all versions of the songs performed here have become my firm favourites when compared to other versions on other Deep Purple CD's/DVD's. There are rock solid versions of old classics such as Hush, Woman From Tokyo and Perfect Strangers, and the version of Highway Star must rank as the best recorded performance of this song since the '70's. However, my personal favourites from this show are Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming, and Fools, as virtually everything seems to work perfectly here, particularly Steve Morse's superb guitar work (check out the wonderful jazz-like solo in the latter track). Only Speed King sounds, in places, a bit laboured, but Ian Paice plays a fine drum solo in the middle of this track. I can't find much at fault with the sound, picture quality or camera work as all are, for the most part excellent. Certainly, the band look much older now, but what you get is a mature performance of superbly played songs, with 'new' member Steve Morse putting a whole new, more modern gloss onto them. The extra features on this DVD are mostly quite interesting (interviews with the band members discussing various topics, etc) and the sound-check/backstage footage helps to give a sense of place to the concert. If you are a DP fan, a Morse fan, or just appreciate classy, mature heavy rock played by the masters, I have no hesitation in recommending this DVD. It will grow on you.

Deep Purple-Perihelion [DVD]
Deep Purple-Perihelion [DVD] by Deep Purple (DVD - 2003)
11.89