5.0 out of 5 stars Vor Sprung... Ooops! Still, Great Cooker!!
I got this pressure cooker to replace my old faithful prestige (Circa 1956..) because I couldnt get hold of the rubber gaskets any more.. So no stranger to pressure cooking I was pretty sure of what I was looking for and read many reviews about other later prestige products and some other manufacturers too.. Hoping for a better quality range I was sadly disapointed...
Published on 5 Mar 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the potential crack
I have the WMF 6.5 litre perfect ultra - a great machine initially, but after 18 months of what I can only describe as light use, two hairline cracks developed in the top end of the detachable plastic part of the handle - so no more pressure. Very disappointing after so little time in what I hoped would have been the Rolls Royce of pressure cookers - and hugely expensive...
Published on 17 Nov 2009 by Liz

5.0 out of 5 stars Vor Sprung... Ooops! Still, Great Cooker!!, 5 Mar 2009
This review is from: WMF Perfect Plus Pressure Cooker 6.5ltr 22cm diameter 18/10 stainless steel (Kitchen & Home)

The main problem seems to be general build quality, and many folk complain of their pressure cookers falling apart by handles coming off fittings becoming loose or alarmingly, their cooker failing to seal altogether!!

I came across the WMF perfect plus while here in Amazon, and reading the reviews and doing some further research about the product online I decided this was a soundly engineered pressure cooker that was tough, reliable, easy to work with, and very pleasing to the eye..

I have not been disapointed. There is no Hisss! from this cooker as it builds up pressure silently and only hisses if you allow it to run over pressure... (Safety feature..)The hiss is more of a buzz, or horn.. Gets your attention right away.. It has a 2nd safety valve in the form of a ball bearing in a rubber gasket, and is built as strong as a nuclear containment vessel, You would have to be a right daft nugget to misunderstand how this cooker works..

If there is the tinyest bit of pressure inside, you CANNOT open it. The lid CANNOT be twisted to open it, it is mechanically locked by the slightest pressure.. This is a GREAT feature and gives you more confidence knowing it will NOT spit or spray you with hot steam or liquids when you open it.

You can allow it to cool naturally, (Thick base so takes a looong time!) and watching the top big button drop gives you a instant reading of the pressure.. Also you have the option (Besides dunking the cooker into a cold water sink..) to slowly or more quickly release pressure by pulling back gently on the slider on the handle.. The pressure is released from a vent forward and away from you.. !

It is a pleasure to cook with this cooker, and after a couple of trials I had it mastered for all my old recipes including my old mums malayan potato and beef curry.. (That she brought back from Army service in Malaya..) Which tastes absolutely superb and the beef just melts in your mouth with no toughness at all.. (Recipe at end of this review..!) Hams, chicken, pulses and soups are to die for. The cooker cleans up beautifully and has a great capacity of 6 and a half litres which makes it ideal for families.

Take this old mans advice and buy yourself a real pressure cooker get the WMF Perfect Plus Pressure Cooker 6.5ltr 22cm diameter 18/10 stainless steel Now!

Alice's Curry.

6 Potatoes peeled and halved.

2 pounds Stewing Steak (Or chicken breasts) Cubed.

Couple tablespoons oil.

1 1/2 to 3 tablespoons medium or hot curry powder (Sharwoods is good.. Or any good Indian curry powder..) to your taste..

(Optional) 1 Can evaporated milk (Carnation..) this takes the heat off a hot curry..

1 Cooking Apple peeled and cored.. (Can be replaced by can of plum tomatoes.. or peaches fruit etc..)

2 Large Carrots Chopped to thick disks.
1 Large Onion Diced.
2 Oxo Cubes.
1 Tablespoon sugar.
1 Kettle full hot water.

If desired a Lime pickle (Bought in jars..) is a great addition I sometimes add two or three heaped teaspoons to the curry before pressurising it..

Method:

Fry the steak in the bottom of the pressure cooker in the oil.. as the water is fried out and the steak browns add the Curry powder and the Onion diced this will dry up and thicken almost immediately.

Fry for 2 or 3 minutes on high heat stirring with long handled wooden spoon..

Add chopped carrot disks.

Add Apple and Sugar.

(Keep stirring..)

add potatoes and add kettleful of water and oxo cubes (Stock of your choice..) then (After tasting for heat..) add as much as you require from the tin of Carnation milk..

Stir it up to mix and lift mixing meat and veg evenly and close cooker with heat on say half or just under (Wing it.. don't burn it..) bring to pressure and cook on highest ring marker for a full 20-25 minutes.. Then take off heat and allow to cool to open.

This recipe is ALWAYS at its very best if eaten the following day.. As it thickens naturally, and the potatoes sweeten up as they absorb the curry overnight. - But it IS flexible as you can add a gravy thickener to it (Granules..) and thicken it that way, like straight away if you just must eat it now. :) Believe me its gorgeous either way !!

I usually prepare dinner plates by arranging a wall of rice around the edge and ladelling the curry into the well in the middle.. Serve piping hot! - Yum!

5.0 out of 5 stars How easy is this..., 20 Aug 2009
Buzzy Bee (Preston Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I have always been afraid of pressure cookers but decided to buy one as other people raved about them. Based on other reviews I decided to buy this one.You can't really ignore lots of five star reviews ! It came complete with a basket with holes and a standing trivet.This is a doddle to use. I will use it mainly for cooking, for example, my usual steak or steak and kidney for pies, goulash, beef and lamb curries etc. As long as you make sure that the meat mixture is just covered by liquid, no more than 2/3 full and a minimum of 1/4 litre of liquid you don't need any special recipe book. I have just cooked 2lb of stewing steak. I browned it first, in the base of the pressure cooker pan with a chopped onion in a little oil, added a few sliced mushrooms,salt and pepper and a litre of beef stock, put on the lid, turned up the heat, the pressure indicator started to rise and when it was showing two orange rings I turned the gas down to its lowest setting. If it is too high there is a slight whistle to remind you to turn it down. This very low setting seemed to maintain the cooker at the correct pressure. Twenty minutes later I turned off the gas and left it to depressurise on its own. The beef is beautifully tender and there is plenty of gravy to use, thicken, or freeze for later. This would usually take 2.5 to 3 hours in the oven. Its pie for our meal tomorrow and I will freeze half for later. I am glad I didn't buy the smaller one despite there only being two of us because I can cook for the family when they visit or batch cook if I want. Smaller amounts wont be a problem either. The pressure cooker seems very well made, is very easy to clean (the handle detaches from the lid) and I can't wait to use it again. It isn't frightening at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Pressure Cooker, 11 Jan 2009
My first ever pressure cooker, which was a gift from my mum for Christmas. I read the two reviews for this item which I found very helpful. The first on the menu for me was soup made with a ham Hough, I must say I was a bit nervous using it for the first time, although there was no need to be it was simple to use and my soup was cooked in 35 mins and the ham literally fell off the bone, absolutely delicious! I have since cooked a whole chicken which was ready in 25 mins and once again was so succulent and tasty. At the moment I am trying to reduce the items in my freezer therefore have not yet started cooking as much as I would like with my cooker but I move forward with confidence and would highly recommend this particular one. It is well made, solid pan and as previously stated is dishwasher safe. The one thing I would recommend is to purchase this size rather than the smaller one as you have to bear in mind that when making soup with a joint of meat for stock that you can only fill it to half its capacity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Tasty Quck Cooking, 27 Dec 2006
K. Patel "K Patel" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Pressure Cookers are energy efficient as they cook food quickly. Pulses especially which can take hours can be cooked in less than half an hour. What is great about this cooker is that the steam is better contained, and doesn't make a huge mess of the cooker or your stovetop. The indicator on the lid also falls slowly back into place which lets you know when it is safe to open the cooker. The parts of the cooker are easy to take apart and clean. I have had other cookers in the past and this brand is by far the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come back to pressure cooking, 12 April 2007
For years I used an old-fashioned prestige hi-dome until it fell to pieces. I bought some new-fangled thing and it was rubbish - simply didn't hold the pressure. This one is absolutely FABULOUS! I am rediscovering all my old recipes. Does a pot roast in 50 minutes, meltingly tender and tasty. Plus, it is stainless steel, plus the whole handle and pressure valve easily clips off so you can put the lid in the dishwasher. I know it is more expensive than some but it is worth the extra - simply the best

5.0 out of 5 stars The rave reviews are not wrong!, 16 Nov 2009
M. Ball (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this pressure cooker having seen that a reasonably high number of people had ALL given this product 5 out of 5. Although it may seem quite expensive, it's worth every penny. I really am so pleased with it. It not only looks good, but is very well made. Spare parts and extra inserts (if required) are readily available on Amazon. Using the pressure cooking, I found it to be completely silent, unlike my old Prestige one, which used to shake, hiss and rattle. It's really easy to clean afterwards and produces the most perfectly cooked potatoes and carrots in just 6 minutes (once the indicator has risen). It's also fantastic for anyone who cooks their own dried pulses, such as chick peas. After soaking, they used to have to cook on the hob for 2 and a half hours before, now that's been reduced to just 13 minutes. It's so much quicker to make meals, and uses much less energy because of the fast cooking times. There are so many different things that can be cooked in the pressure cooker, such as quick rice puddings, risottos, soups, stews and curries. To make the most of your new pressure cooker, I would recommend buying a good pressure cooker recipe book. The booklets that come with it only give cooking times for a limited number of items, and don't give any recipe ideas at all. This new and modern pressure cooker design really is perfect, and completely safe to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Pressure Cooker, 24 Jan 2009
S. Jones "SLJ" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This is the 4th pressure cooker I have owned, and this one is by far the best. I have owned Tower and Prestige pressure cookers in the past, but WMF is in a league of its own.

It's a doddle to clean, simple to use, reaches pressure in no time, and operates with very little noise compared with the others.

All I can say is, if you're in any doubt whether you should buy this or one of the cheaper ones - don't even give it a second thought. In my opinion, it is well worth the extra money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pressure Cooker, 20 July 2009
C. Cyrol (UK) - See all my reviews
This pressure cooker is fantastic. It is big enough to make a roast or stew for 4 people. Super easy to clean as you can detach the handle from the lid. It is very easy to release the pressure either underneath the running water tap or simply by using the manual valve. Very high quality and easy to use. It is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic piece of kitchenware, 21 Sep 2009
Luis Mardones (Paisley, UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't stopped cooking with this pressure cooker since I've got it about a month ago.
My mum recommend me for years, to spend (invest I rather say) money in a good pressure cooker as I could cook in less than half the time most of meals saving energy at the same time.
This pressure cooker is of very solid construction. Made of stainless steel and plenty of safety devices.
It's very important first to read and understand the cooker instructions. Once you start to use it, cooking will be mastered through trials and errors (food quantity and liquid used vary).
I've used specially with meats, which the cooker cooks to perfection (the hardest meat gets soft and tender after being cooked)
Once you learnt how to use it, you'll start to experiment with measures and recipes.
Great piece of kitchenware and excellent quality. And built to last...

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect pressure cooker, 3 Jan 2009
Andrew Mackenzie (Western Isles, Scotland) - See all my reviews
We bought this about 6 months ago. Since then we have used it almost every day and it is excellent. It is very well made, comes to pressure quickly, is well designed and easy to clean. It doesn't fill the kitchen with steam and once brought to pressure can be left with minimum (or no) heat. We had a Prestige before and it was nothing but trouble.

I heartily recommend the Perfect Plus.