on 31 July 2011
I purchased this garlic press as my well-used Le Cruset press finally broke after several years. This garlic press is heavy, well made - and for a nice change - not made in China. WMF are a German company and manufacture their products in Germany, hence the quality.

It does exactly what it is meant to do - crush garlic efficiently. I have not tried unpeeled cloves as I cook with peeled garlic. It is also easy to clean. It costs more than others, but it is worth it and I expect it to last a long time. Highly recommended.
on 28 June 2012
Want to kill a vampire? If you do, forget the garlic just hit him with this garlic press. Solid as a rock and extremely good value for the money, should last a lifetime
on 2 January 2011
I received this as a present (quite a bizarre thing to unwrap on Christmas Day). Initially I was sceptical as I already had a rather nice M&S garlic press, and wondered why on earth I should replace it. However, it is a lovely hefty piece of kit, with a superbly smooth action, and it all hinges apart to clean without any parts actually needing removal (and the subsequent reassembly). The garlic chamber is a very good size - it can certainly hold a fat clove or two without any side seepage of lesser models. It cleans well, and just looks rather lovely. IF you have the funds, or know someone who loves to cook, and you want to get something that will definitely last a lifetime or ten, then this is a very nice thing indeed.
on 6 January 2013
My wife tasked me with finding her a better garlic press and I landed on this one after both previous positive reviews and a quick passing over of my engineer's eye.

I'm happy to say that it looks like my intuition proved correct! In use, the size and leverage produced by this garlic press means that it is very effective in use.

A little care is required in cleaning but the stainless steel construction stands up to use.
Having used a supermarket garlic press with a removable 'basket' for years, I wanted a better quality one that was more efficient. I first ordered a Chef'n Freshforce Citrus Juicer Lime Colour one because of its patented gear mechanism. But after reading several reviews on other sites, reporting that it broke too quickly, I decided to return it and order this one instead. When it arrived, my first impression was that it was reassuringly heavy and looked like it was definitely built to last:-) However, it is a little stiff to open, which worried me a little. But I placed a large clove in it and although it has no gear mechanism, it wasn't as difficult to squeeze as my old supermarket one:-) In fact, it squeezed the unpeeled clove so efficiently that the pulp virtually shot out of it! And cleaning it was an absolute doddle too because unlike my old one, it has no loose 'basket' to remove and wash separately:-) All you do is open it and flip the basket back, remove the garlic skin and wash it under a running tap. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants an efficient, robust and easy to clean garlic press.
on 17 February 2013
I had an OXO GoodGrips garlic crusher for a few years and it was pretty good. It got most of the garlic from an unpeeled clove, and was OK to clean. However, a few weeks ago the damn thing snapped through the handles. Reading reviews on Amazon told me I was not the only one. In short: don't get the OXO unless you enjoying buying replacement garlic presses. .

I bought a replacement from Tesco. This highlighted how good the OXO had been in comparison: it could barely crush a unpeeled clove and most of the garlic squirted out of the sides. It also felt flimsy. Another purchase from Argos yielded no better results. I read reviews of this (expensive) garlic press on here and took the plunge.

Simply: this is the best garlic press money can buy.

It is sturdy, and will not snap like the OXO GoodGrips. The amount of garlic expressed is something to behold. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, but the skin comes out in one squeeze. I'm actually reducing the number of cloves used in my recipes because this gets so much out! It is a cinch to clean and can take a good size clove, too. Absolutely well worth the money - I will never buy another brand of press again, and, with how solid the WMF is, I suspect the only other (WMF) presses I buy will be as gifts.

It makes crushing garlic an enjoyable marvel at excellent engineering. You will not regret paying a bit extra for this one.
on 7 September 2011
I have had 2 garlic presses before so this is as compared to two others. The action was smooth, did not need that much energy for a normally able person and there was hardly anything left in the press after crushing. Very impressed.
on 13 January 2012
I'd given up on ever finding a decent garlic press. The ones I've used have either bent, rusted, broken far too easily or been fiddly to clean/dry. I don't think I'm going to have any such problems with this press.
It seems a bit pricey but it is extremely solid and very well designed. It's not so much been made as "engineered". It crushes large cloves (or even several cloves at a time) effortlessly and with none of the messy spillage that you often get with other presses.
You can partially unfold it to scoop off the clove remnants ready for the next one, or completely unfold it for more thorough cleaning.
Because the steel "grid" is so thin the bits just seem to wash off easily under a running tap. After drying it all folds back into itself.
I just love it. Would recommend to anyone.
on 4 April 2013
Purchased this as a Christmas gift for friends. I have a Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press (also available on Amazon) and find this model a lot nicer than the WMF version. The Kuhn Rikon is generally prettier and seems to work better. The only thing the Kuhn Rikon does not have is the handle to hang it up from, but other than that I find it superior.
on 30 May 2012
I'd looked at this for months and even though I thought it worth the money I hesitated to spend so much on a garlic press.

I do love garlic though so I tried a few cheaper presses and was disappointed in every last one of them. My penultimate one juddered and made ominous noises when I tried to do two small peeled cloves.

I decided that I was actually wasting money by not going for this press and duly sent off for it; I was quite looking forward to getting it and trying it out. What I didn't anticipate was just how beautiful a piece of work it is. It is larger and glossier than the picture can convey and it just glistens with promise. Holding it, you know that you are holding quality that is built to last.

The handles fit beautifully into your hand and it is designed so that you can press down without having to put much effort into it. I like peeling my garlic but I easily pressed two large slightly woody cloves with no overflow or side overflow.

My other presses pressed the garlic out in a pulpy bunch, leaving behind a mixture of thick outer layer and pressed garlic. This one presses the garlic out in a way that it almost looks like mince.

The garlic presses with separate press container have had that piece roll away or have warped when pressed off angle. Since this is all one piece there are no parts to lose or to have get bent out of shape.

The inside opens up fully exposing a flat washing surface but if you wish and you can raise the container for even easier cleaning; it only takes a few seconds and you're done.

I could bore you silly going on and on about this marvelous bit of kit but I'll wind up by saying that if you love garlic, you will adore this.