on 19 February 2011
I have had an S9 for 8 years and when it works its impressive. However I have lost count of how many times it as gone back for repair or service. You can only use the one company and the bills are not cheap. Last June the service cost £300 and last week the motor failed. I have now called time on this machine and it is in my best friends loft where it will be used for spares for his. They are nice machines but not reliable and not well made for the price (lots of thin plastic). Incidentally both of us got our machines in Germany at almost half the price Jura UK where selling them for. I have just ordered a Siemens machine as a replacement, but I read on line they are made for them by Jura, so lets see if Siemens takes a better interest in quality control and their customers than Jura does.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have had a Siemens bean-to-cup machine for 5 years. It was one of the first and at the time deeply impressive. The problem was that the coffee was never quite hot enough, the steam output fairly slow and the plastic nature of the coffee path impossible to keep properly clean.
THEN I noticed the Jura machines on the Amazon website and did my research. Jura are a Swiss firm who make commercial machines. As far as I can see, they use the same technologies in their "domestic" machines.
The Jura S9 is the top-of-the-line domestic machine. It has two boilers which means that switching from milk frothing to coffee production is instaneous: you don't have to wait for the thermoblock to cool down. The milk frothing is amazing: for the first time, my froth stays lovely and solid the whole cup through.
Unlike the S95, the S9 comes with the latest state of the art auto-frothing device. Everywhere else, the S9 is £1225: only Amazon sell it for under £1000.
It is easy to wake to a breakfast cappucino prepared in less than 60 seconds AND clean the milk frother in another 30 seconds thanks to the ultrafast machinery and completely removable steaming components - just watch the videos on the website to see exactly what I mean.
If you feel a need to pop into a Starbucks every morning to get you going, buy an S9 instead: it will pay for itself in no time!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 April 2010
I have had a Jura machine for a few years and it makes great coffee. BUT (and it's a big but)you can only service it with one company in the UK and they charge an absolute fortune, like £200-300. This is worth bearing in mind when you buy it. The accessories are also not widely available, which leads to a lack of price competition.
on 29 June 2009
Jura S9 / S90 is an awesome coffee machine. I used the same coffee in 2 machines and you would not believe it was the same coffee. The Jura made it taste wonderful - less bitter and with a smooth crema. I am over 40 and this machine was a revelation to me - in my opinion better than Starbucks and Coffee Republic coffee.
Now I just need to find the perfect beans - and how great that journey will be now !!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 October 2011
Other reviews here mention some service issues which is a little alarming but I've had no problems so far (2 months). I will talk about the good then the not so good.

Good; Coffee from this machine is undoubtedly the best I have ever tasted - better than any high street coffee shop and better than any (my god I'm going to swear) filter/cafetiere machine of which I have owned several. The latte, cappuccino and espresso are also fantastic - and of course you can adjust all of the products to your exact liking. When making the Latte Macchiato ensure it is in a latte glass and you can be mesmerised by the mixing of the milk and coffee - very Guinness like!! All of the `coffees' taste superb and also did I mention that the taste of the coffee is the best ever!! Are you getting the picture?

Not So Good; It will take you 1-2 weeks to get the settings just right especially the volumes for the cups/glasses you own. Adjusting these settings with the combined wheel & button takes a bit of getting used to. Also getting the right size glass for the Latte Macchiato is slightly problematic as the milk spout is not height adjustable (fixed at 120mm) unlike the main spouts which go up to 150mm. Well you remortgaged to buy it so buy some new glasses!! Which brings me to the price - if you want to buy one there are two reasons; you have lots of money or you like coffee (or I suppose both). Now looks and use - If you thought that this huge machine would just sit there and make coffee, and you would just look at its beauty ... WRONG... it has a character of its own it is like a 2yr old child: press rinse, press rinse - spout right, press rinse - cappu rinsing, fill water tank, fill beans, empty tray, empty grounds. I'm beginning to think it has an inferiority complex about being dirty and needs to be cleaned and loved every minute of the day - but I do because the coffee tastes so great; did I mention the coffee tastes great?!

Overall; There isn't really anything bad about this machine so if you can afford it, buy it and enjoy the coffee which ... yeah you guessed it ... tastes great!

Update - 18th Sep 2012 - well almost a year on and 950 cups of coffee! No problems to report. The machine still hassles me to clean this and that but I'm used to it now! Tried various beans that are available in the supermarkets but have settled for the biggest bag I can buy that has a flavour I like. This took a month or so to narrow down and is a compromise as a small bag doesn't last long, and trips to the shop are laborious. Can only recommend this machine but as before only if you have enough money.
on 15 March 2010
Having messed around with plungers, capsules, boilers, etc etc. A friend put me onto this Jura S9 machine. I took the plunge, blind apart from the recommendation from my friend. The best risk I have ever taken. Superb espresso, superb cappucino and everything in between. All at the touch of a button. Easily adjustable settings. Prompts maintenance so there is no excuse not to keep the machine clean! Expensive, but worth every penny!