5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting piece which grows on you, 6 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Dyson: Quo Vadis (Audio CD)
Before I begin this review, I'd better admit some bias - I performed on this CD, as a member of the chorus.
However, I'll also admit that I, and indeed most of the performers of this piece, weren't all that keen on the music when we started out; it unflatteringly earned the name "Dyson in D".
But all that was set to change. Once the joined forces of two choirs, orchestra and the all-star cast of soloists came together we really did find ourselves on the verge of rediscovering a piece of music which really is great English Choral music.
This recording, offered as a 2-CD set with 64 page booklet, may not be on the cheap side, but is well worth shelling out for, it's a piece in which Dyson charts man's journey through life, and the afterlife, using a collage of english poems. The music has a haunting qualities, with infectious melodies which perculate through the piece.
One of the most memorable moments of the piece for me still remains to be during Part V 'Oh Timely, Happy Wise', where we move from full chorus and orchestra to a haunting small section where distant voices sing unaccompanied in Latin; a clever effect created simply by sending 3 chorus members behind the onlookers at the back of the hall, surrounded by stacked chairs!
A great piece to have amongst your collection, which I keep coming back to, time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars bbc now excellent again, 2 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Dyson: Quo Vadis (Audio CD)
A sensational release for the BBC NOW and Richard Hickox, astounding playing from the orchestra and a beautiful recording from Chandos.

Dyson: Quo Vadis
Dyson: Quo Vadis by Roderick Williams (Audio CD - 2003)