Le Creuset Classic Cast Iron Round Casserole, 28 cm - Volcanic
Colour: VolcanicChange
Price:£207.97+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 4 May 2011
This is my second Le Creuset, both a recent investment. I am utterly delighted with how they cook. You can cook slowly and gently without things sticking or burning. They work brilliantly in the oven or on the hob and a great for casseroles, paella etc where you need to start off on the hob and transfer to the oven. Even when you've cooked a casserole for three hours and there is baked on gravy on the dish, it washes off really easily. Le Creuset recommend you don't put the pans in the dishwasher so it's great that they clean so quickly and easily by hand. They really are an investment as they're obviously on the expensive side but I think they're worth it and they'll last a lifetime.
on 19 October 2008
MATERIAL : CAST IRON
ROUND : 28 cm
Approximate maximum capacity : 6.7L

Boxed/Use and Care Instruction booklet included.
Easy to use and clean, by hand, or pop it in the dishwasher.
With a little care, these cast iron dishes last for years.

Simply brilliant - this versatile Casserole Dish/Cocotte/French Oven is ideal for all sorts of recipes.

My favourite in this sized casserole is 'Beef 'N' Beer', from: The Cast Iron Way to Cook, by Sue Cutts, who says:

'Cooking meat in beer or ale is a centuries-old cooking technique, and the flavour harmonizes with beef particularly well.
This is a fairly rustic recipe that makes a good winter weekend meal or a casual entertaining dish......'

The recipe recommends the use of any ROUND or OVAL 24 to 29 cm size, so it is quite able to be 'tweaked' to suit the number of servings required.

For other recipe ideas, using Le Creuset, it is certainly also worth looking at Le Creuset's UK Website/Recipe Centre.
on 29 May 2003
I work in a cookshop, so I see lots of pots and pans, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages.
Le Creuset has to be an all time favourite. I bought this pan as the stock pot we were using for all our long-cook Italian sauces was too small. It's definitely worth the money I paid for it.
We use it for all sorts: pot-roast chicken, stews, bolognese/ragu sauce, Italian tomato sauce, soups. It's really versatile. Sure, it's a bit big, and I have trouble storing it, but then I have a full kitchen anyway.
Cast iron is one of those wonderful products - you can leave your dinner on a low heat bubbling away for hours, and not worry. As long as the heat is not too high it won't burn.
This is a pan not only for the large family, but for anybody. There's only two of us, and this is probably the pan we use the most. Make it big, then stick it in the freezer.
Buy it, definitely worth the expense - and looked after, definitely will last a long time.....
on 28 December 2012
I hadn't planned to order a pot quite this large but I got such a fantastic price here that I couldn't resist (it was even cheaper than the next size down!) and I'm not sorry. This pot is big enough to cook many large portions of soup or stew all at once. I can fit huge lumps of meat in it or make six litres of jam or pickle. It won't ever be an everyday pot for me as there are just two of us living in the house most of the time, but it certainly will be a favourite when I am bulk cooking for the pantry or freezer.

Fuel economy is excellent because almost anything can be kept simmering at the lowest possible setting on the hob and brought to the boil on the next setting up. I can't imagine ever wanting or needing to put a cast iron pot like this on full heat.

As with all the other Le Creuset products I've tried, this is top quality but does require a certain level of care (all documented in the little brochure that comes with the packaging) just like any other enamelled cast iron would do. If I look after it there's no reason to think it won't be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

EDIT: I said originally that this 28cm pot wouldn't be an everyday pot for me, but that turned out to be wrong. Six months later I find myself hauling it out on a regular basis! Even if I'm not cooking a huge batch of something, it's often handy to have a bit of extra room for stirring or using a stick blender without splashing. My 22cm pot has now been relegated to the back of the cupboard as it just doesn't get used as often as it used to.
on 29 September 2007
Approximate capacity : 6.7 litres, so one of the heftiest ones, this versatile casserole dish/cocotte/French oven.
COLOUR : TEAL (aka CARIBBEAN)

My overall favourite recipe in this size is:

It is also ideal for Fergus Henderson's 'Lamb Shanks with Port', serving four and reproduced on pages 152/153 of Henrietta Green's Farmers' Market Cookbook.

Or....to show the true versatility of this brilliant 'casserole' dish, you could try what a dear friend and colleague makes : bazaar-sized cakes to aid local charity funds.

Sturdily boxed, with full use and care instructions supplied.
Easy to use and clean by hand, although some soaking and a rub with a plastic brush inside and out, may be required for the more stubborn baked-on food remains.
on 22 December 2006
COLOUR : GRANITE

Approximate maximum capacity : 6.7 litres, so one of the heftiest ones, this versatile casserole dish/cocotte/French oven.

Ideal for entertaining and one of my favourite recipes in this size is:

'Braised Beef and Vegetables', starting off by browning the brisket on all sides in the dish on the hob, then adding red onions, herbs and stock....bring to the boil, put on the lid then into the oven, for about an hour........out again, add my chunks of winter vegetables and back into the oven until the meat is tender.......a favourite for autumn nights, serving 6 comfortably!

Or....to show the true versatility of this brilliant casserole dish, why not try what a dear friend and colleague makes:
'Bazaar-sized cakes', to aid local charity funds.

Sturdily boxed, with full CAST IRON use & care instructions supplied.
Easy to use and clean by hand, although some soaking may be required for more stubborn baked-on food remains.
on 6 June 2007
COLOUR : SATIN BLACK (MATT FINISH)
BLACK interior with a well-fitting lid, offset by the smart new stainless steel knob.

Approximate maximum capacity : 6.7 litres, so one of the heftiest ones.

Ideal for entertaining and one of my favourite recipes in this size is: 'Greek Stifatho', pages 90/91, from Claudia Roden's Simple Mediterranean Cookery, serving 6-8 comfortably.

'Cast iron retains heat longer than any other cooking material so it is ideal for braising at the lowest of temperatures and, therefore, is very economical, too. Cast iron is remarkably easy to wash up, by hand, too - although some soaking and a rub with a plastic brush is usually required for those more stubborn baked-on remains!'

Dishwasher safe, if it fits in, because this is BIG!

Sturdily boxed, complete with full SATIN BLACK CAST IRON care & use instructions.
on 2 February 2011
Cast iron pots have been with use for a long time and when you use these you realise why, most things tastes better cooked in one of these.
While you might baulk at the price, consider that with care and consideration they can be passed down through the family. They are a breeze to clean but NEVER EVER under any circumstances be tempted to scour the pot. If you do have stuff stuck on the inside soak with a drop of biological wash and that will lift anything. But don't leave it too long otherwise it can cause pitting. And we don't want pitting.
You can cook all manner of delights with these, and I am so attached to mine that I have even been known to take a couple of them on holiday. To France of course.
I would also recommend the Le Creuset Cook Book as it really gets the most out of this cook ware.
Bon Appétit
on 22 December 2006
Simply brilliant, this versatile Casserole Dish/Cocotte/French Oven is ideal for all sorts of recipes and my favourite in this size is:

Sturdily boxed, with full use and care instructions supplied.
on 30 September 2009
A friend of mine was given one of these casseroles as a gift last year and I've been jealous since. I finally treated myself to one recently, buying the same size as my friend had, and forgetting that her cooker is 55 or 60cm wide, while mine is a modest 50cm. Fortunately, the heat absorption of the cast iron means that the casserole's being slightly off centre on its ring means that size doesn't matter.

I live alone, but once a week cook for up to seven or eight people. I don't much like washing up, so have got pretty good at one-pot cookery, which is where this casserole excels. I only need to cook twice a week: anything more, besides bread, is for the fun of it. Once for the dinner party, and then once for the freezer.

Even washing up isn't as difficult as I feared: although the casserole is large and heavy, even dried on food wipes off easily with warm soapy water and a sponge (oh! To have room for a dishwasher!). There's a little voice in my ear that keeps whispering "go on... get the matching saucepans... you know you want to..."