5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic just gets better and better
Published on 11 April 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Our first broke after 20 months, but we're buying another!
This makes wonderful bread and we've used it extensively, almost once per day for the last 20 months. But unfortunately the electronics went wrong. Getting it fixed seems such a hassle though. But it was such a good machine that we've decided to buy another anyway.
So, 5 stars for the bread, but 1 star for reliability on the basis of our experience. We're hoping the...
Published on 25 Sep 2005 by J. Hewett

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic just gets better and better, 11 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Panasonic SD253 Breadmaker with Nut Dispenser (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Kitchen & Home)
Don't waste your money on any other make - Panasonic is the only one worth buying. The extra initial outlay is definitely worth it in the long run. This latest model makes good breadmaking even easier, with larger loaf sizes and an automatic dispenser for raisins, seeds, nuts etc. With a household of 7, we bake at least once a day and always get excellent results. We like it because we know the children are getting top quality bread in their school sandwiches. The children like it simply because the bread tastes wonderful! Our previous Panasonic breadmaker only breathed its last after getting an inadvertent soaking when a pipe burst. Otherwise it would still be going strong now. These breadmakers are built to last and spares are easy to come by and order.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bread machine well worth the hype, 16 Jun 2003
By A Customer
There's nothing like the taste of freshly baked bread - except maybe the smell of freshly baked bread. You won't be disappointed with either. The instruction booklet is easy to follow and tells you that the important thing is to measure out ingredients properly (it comes complete with measuring jug and spoons). All you need to provide are the ingredients and accurate weighing scales. I was pleasantly surprised by the array of breads (and cakes, but I haven't tried those yet) you can make with the machine. It has 5 big advantages in its favour :- (1) consistency - every loaf so far has come out fantastic; (2) an overnight timer: bung the ingredients in before you go to bed, and fresh bread will greet you in the morning; (3) a nut / fruit dispenser which puts in additions at the right time. I'm currently making Apricot & Walnut Bread; (4) no glass window. Ok, so it's nice to be able to see what's going on, but having a glass window (as some machines do) can mess about with the heat and give the top of the loaf an uneven bake. The fruit / nut dispenser is in place of the glass window, so you get a nice even bake; (5) Speed - the bit you do takes 5 minutes or so. That's it. The baking can take up to 5 hours though, depending on what you're baking. It's slightly more expensive than some on the market but it feels built to last and the results are worth it. All in all, a great buy. You'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never buy bread again, 21 Aug 2004
I purchased this on a whim (about 3 months ago), I havn't bought any bread since. The machine has worked flawlessly, and any bad bread has been either my fault - forgetting to put the kneeding blade in place - doh! (or should that be dough - given the context ;-). Or bad flour - I had a bad batch of Alinsons Baker Grade. Of the recipies I've tried, the French is the nicest plain white, the only drawback being the 6 hours required. Granary is great, as is the 50%White 50%wholemeal. However star marks must go to a loaf based made with olives and passata (sieved tomato) which is just wonderful. As I live alone I thought that I'd have problems using the machine enough to justify it's cost. I shouldn't have worried, a 400g (small) loaf never lasts me more than a couple of days, as I eat so much bread now ;-). Which is just as well, as the bread seems to go off much quicker than commercial bread (no preservatives?). A small french loaf only costs about 25p in ingredients, so if it only lasts 2 days before going stale it's no big deal.
I can't compare the Panasonic to other machines as this is my first bread maker. The rest of my familily also have Panasonic machines - this is the reason I decided to get this one.
Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money - but beware, you'll eat more bread!, 21 Jun 2004
Shady Tree (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'd been dithering about buying a breadmaker for some time now but having tried bread from other, cheaper breadmakers where the bread was tasty but not with the "fresh from the bakers" quality that I hoped for, I was unsure. Then when I'd seen the amount of additives in supermarket sliced bread which still went mouldy after a few days, I was convinced. Other people with older Panasonic models had told me that Panasonic breadmakers made the best bread, but what swung it for me was (a) Amazon's price - 20 cheaper than department stores and 30 cheaper than Panasonic's online shop, and (b) the five star reviews this model received on Amazon and three other websites. The only criticism I have is that although Amazon stated 4-6 week delivery, the breadmaker arrived 2 weeks after I placed the order - very nice but totally scuppered my account for the month!
This model has surpassed all my expectations. It's ridiculously simple to use; once you've made one loaf you can make more with your eyes shut. The recipes are simple and foolproof and fabulously tasty - try the basic white recipe, medium sized, dark crust - it's fabulous. The longest a loaf has lasted is 2 days so far - not because it's no longer fresh, but because it's too nice not to eat! The pan is non-stick and a doddle to clean - just wipe it with kitchen roll.
There are only two drawbacks with this breadmaker - no window so you can't be nosey and watch it doing it's stuff (but apparently there's a very good reason for this - no window means a more constant temperature) and the bread is so fabulously tasty that you'll be wolfing it down non-stop - although if you're worried about stuffing yourself with crusty white bread (high GI and all that), it also makes a mean granary. If you're going to buy a breadmaker, buy this one - you won't be disappointed and it's not going to become one of those gadgets that end up gathering dust on the worksurface - ours has been used every day so far. Well done Panasonic - and well done Amazon for the bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are looking to buy a breadmaker look no further, 24 April 2003
Simon Wilson (Winchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This appliance is the best piece of kit we have ever bought.
It does exactly as it says on the box, which is more than can be said for many other breadmakers. We have several friends and relatives who have bought various different breadmakers and all pale by comparison to the Panasonic.....too fiddly, recipes don't work, inconsistant results, small loaves etc etc.
Which has lead, in many cases, to the breadmaker becoming another one of those "must-haves" gathering dust in the cupboard along with the deep-fat frier and the toasted sandwich maker!!
We have had our Panasonic for more than two years now and it has baked 500 plus loaves....the only failure we had was when I forgot the yeast....just consistant results every time.
The recipe book and accompanying instructions are first rate and it is very obvious that Panasonic have tested them using the breadmaker...as they work.
Bread of all varieties, granary, wholemeal, brown white, malted, pizza, naan, pita you name it, it does it, and once you have baked you own you will not tolerate shop bought bread again.
As I said earlier if you want a bread maker look no further, you may find cheaper but you won't find better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bostin Bread!!!, 13 Jan 2004
We have had a bread maker for over 3 years and bake at least once every day. We used an LG before but the Panasonic, now in use for over 4 months, beats it hands down. The bottom line with any bread maker is the quality of the flour and we only use the more expensive, having found the cheaper ones to have little flavour. The Panasonic does 3 sizes of loaf and the recipe book gives many lovely and unusual breads. This one even does a wholemeal (100%) that is light and fluffy with a lovely nutty taste. First class and excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmm- Fresh bread for breakfast!, 4 Feb 2004
This is my first bread machine and it is wonderful. I have had it two days and have made two loaves so far- a plain white and then I got a bit more adventurous and made a wholemeal with pesto & pine nuts. Both were delicious.
It is so easy, you just put the ingredients in and leave it to work its magic! I don't have a lot of free time most evenings but even I can find five minutes to throw some flour and yeast etc into this machine, set the timer and switch it on. I do this just before bedtime and wake up with the kitchen smelling of fresh bread and have a tasty slice of a fresh loaf for breakfast.
The recipe book is excelent also, I can't wait to try the banana and museli loaf for breakfast, or the sun-dried tomato one for dinner. It includes recipes for traditional French and Italian breads. You can even mix cakes in the machine using the dough option (but bake them in the oven), and there are loads of recipes for cakes included also. If you are gluten intolerant it even tells you how to make gluten-free loaves.
The only complaint about this machine is that it might make me put on weight with all the delicious things you can make with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Use your Loaf!, 4 April 2005
K. Belton (Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My husband bought me this breadmaker for Christmas (I think he was a little fed up with me banging on about additives in bread) and four months later we still haven't bought any shop bread. He also bought me a breadmaker recipe book (Fresh Bread in the Morning) which gave me the confidence to reduce the salt and sugar by half and to omit the butter completely. I made a note of how I altered the recipes so that I would know what worked best, and have now found our perfect everyday loaf.
But it doesn't stop there. My daughters love the french sticks and particularly the pitta bread (great for the days you forget to make bread as it only takes 45 mins till it's ready to go in the oven for 6-9 mins). We also bake fantastic brioche, pizza dough and naan, although we make these with recipes from other books (the Panasonic pizza recipe includes milk powder, sugar and butter but doesn't use olive oil, which doesn't seem quite right).
I keep a couple of packet mixes for emergencies, as these are baked on the rapid setting, and have found one brand that doesn't use too many additives or hydrogenated fat. However, you have to watch the use-by dates on these, as the yeast deteriorates.
If you want a breadmaker, use your loaf and buy this machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant investment, 23 Nov 2006
William (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I can't speak highly enough about this appliance. I got this in November 2004 thinking I'd make the effort to use it for a year. I have a small kitchen and work surfaces are precious, but this one has not been put away in 2 years. I have experimented with other mixtures, but to be honest it's not necessary because the machine comes with lots of recipes which have all proved to be completely reliable. I read other people's reviews complaining about other models and am grateful that I chose this one. Don't bother with the SD252. The timer and nut dispenser are worth the extra money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very consistent breadmaker, 1 Aug 2005
Ok the title says something. My previous breadmaker made bread but it was very variable in quality. The Panasonic comes out well every time.
Another point is that you genuinely can leave this one on for bread in the morning and it will not wake you during the night with the noise (can hardly hear it is working at times).
This really is worth the money