on 13 April 2003
Having owned a palm for 18 months I decided to upgrade to a pocket pc. I selected the HP 1910 based on price and performance.
When you open the box you are greeted by a small and light weight handheld pc. It is smaller and lighter than other iPaqs available and looks great with its silver finish. Setup is straight forward and after installing the software on my PC and connecting the USB cable I was able to synchronize data between my desktop pc and the handheld.
The software included with the pocket PC covers Word, Excel and Outlook but Microsoft and HP provide comprehensive support for the product and there is a wealth of additional free software you can install. Windows media player needs to be installed and plays both WMA and MP3 audio files and WMV video too.
Good points of the HP1910:
- Small size and weight
- Removable battery, you can buy a spare one and carry it with you.
- Good software suite
- Clear colour screen
- Comes with an SD/MMC card slot for storage of files and applications exceeding the 64MB internal RAM.
Bad points of the HP1910:
- You don’t get a case with it, you can buy on separately, but the screen attracts dust
- The buttons on the device may be too small for those with big fingers.
- It doesn’t come with a docking cradle, only a cable, but again this is available at extra cost.
- No Wi-fi or Bluetooth, only IR port.
Overall, it is a solid piece of kit that will meet the needs of all but the most demanding of users. It is underpowered compared to the newest of Pocket PCs but is a great all-rounder and ideal for those taking their first steps into the realm of handheld computing. It is easy to use and looks sleeker than some other handhelds. If you need wireless networking or Bluetooth you should look to another handheld in the iPaq range.
on 3 May 2003
My first venture into the world of PDA's and must say i am very impressed. The size is very handy and the software is very user friendly.Few drawbacks as it was fairly easy to find cheap expansion card and found great case by proporta.com which is on its way. No included cradle is not really a problem as the connecting cable can be permanently hooked up ready, i just top the battery up each evening.
Loads of software under the Pocket PC banner available !
VINE VOICEon 23 March 2003
I thought a lot about which iPaq to buy but when I saw the 1910 I was enthousiastic at once. It may not be the iPaw with the best technical specs but who needs more than 200 mHz for managing his contacts and calendar.
Two things made me buy the 1910. First of all it's size. This iPaq isn't as bulky as the other iPaq series but still offers a large enough screen. The second feature is it's memory expansion slot. I didn't mind my iPaq having a less powerfull processor but I do like to have enough memory for music, books, portable storage. The memory slot on top of the iPaq suits all my needs.
What suprised me after I bought the iPaq was the ease of installation and synchronisation.
The only minor setback was that a cradle must be bought separately but I can imagine not everyone needs one.
After having used a PalmPilot I must admit this is a much more pleasant pocket pc experience.
on 10 July 2003
Basically this is what we have been waiting for. A powerful, expandable IPAQ machine but without the bulk of the standard Pocket PC's. Now the old ones were hardly large but this one is absolutely the right size. Any smaller you couldn't use it, any bigger and I don't want it.
It fulfills the same functions as the other Ipaq's, occasionally slowing down slightly when you put it under pressure, but in the main it is excellent.
At last they have given us the chance to have spare batteries by having it removable - top marks HP.
What HP kindly left out of all their literature is it will not function the same as a 38/900 series, for instance it is a host machine and so none of the GPS receivers will work with it and this will apply to other similar external add ons.
This is not really just HP not telling us, it is an indusrty standard not to tell you the things you need to know. When you ring a help line and ask, they trot out the "it doesn't do that" line and that, ladies and gentlemen, is that. No other industry can treat its customers this way and get away with it but we, the gadget buying people, fall for it every time and carry on buying.
If HP can get a patch (unlikely) for this I will be interested again.
on 8 July 2003
A very good handheld. Light, good shape. The OS is very good. The memory is a bit small, but as it takes Secure Digital cards, memory expansion is cheap and easy. The speakers are very powerful, I started playing music in public places and went temporaily deaf from using the headphones on too loud a volume. And the price makes it a sound investment and a purhase you won't regeret.
on 14 April 2003
This is a great entry level pda, with good features enough for most users who don't have expansion needs.
no cradle and no case is not a major negative as these are available separately.
on 13 November 2003
It is not a bad option at that price. I actually bought one three months ago at twice the cost - and regret it. Mostly because of the lack of SDIO connectivity, and also because this model supports USB hotsync only - which is okay if only use windows.
The application suite is good. And at this weight and size - its great. Dont forget to use the free HP software vouchers after purchasing one!