• Monk

Format: Audio CD|Change

I discovered (and admired) Joe Temperley when he played with the Humphrey Lyttelton band in the late 1950s. He eventually left and emigrated to U.S of A to make his fortune. Whether he succeeded is unknown, but he has established himself as one of the greatest players of the baritone sax (with a unique and instantly recognisable tone). For me as a saxophonist he is up there with Carney and Mulligan.

I discovered this album with the magnificent pianist Junior Mance by accident and ordered a copy without delay. This quartet album was recorded live on a cruise liner "somewhere in the Caribbean" in 2000. The material in eight Thelonious Monk classics. They are all there except " Pannonica". The album starts with "Blue Monk" and finishes with "Hackensack" and also includes Little Rootie Tootie and I Mean You.

Buy a copy, sit back and imagine sailing through the ocean while listening to very fine quartet. Wonderful music played with passion.