5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS MOVIE!
Published on 23 Mar 2004 by shinigami_nataku

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing
Published on 25 Oct 2008 by Anine

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS MOVIE!, 23 Mar 2004
This review is from: Blackjack [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
After hearing very mixed reviews of this film I was unsure whether or not I should risk viewing it. After finally deciding that I should give it the benefit of the doubt I was pleasantly surprised to find how good it really was. Although there is little action until the movie's climax, it is gripping enough to keep you on the edge of your seat as Dr. Blackjack tries to solve the mysterious disease that effects the people who had once been reffered to as 'Superhumans'. Some of the scenes in Blackjack may be unsuitable to the more squeemish viewers as there is plently of cracked skulls, brain surgery and blood but it is a very thought provoking and interesting anime which explores very modern questions of what is ethical. The animation is also stunning and the English dub is passable so it is well worth watching.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting thriller..., 19 Jan 2007
This review is from: Blackjack [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD on a whim with a load of other anime stuff and I was pleasantly surprised by it. The film is set up pretty well, culminating in a great final half hour. The mystery of the illness that inflicts the 'superhumans' is a good basis for the story and the animation is superb, well up to par with other Production I.G. anime, I thought. The English dub was bearable too, but for the best experience I recommend the original Japanese voice actors with subs.

The only real letdown is the ATROCIOUS DVD transfer. I cannot believe that this is remastered - perhaps if the master original was VHS. It is not true widescreen either - a hideous letterbox 4:3 ratio. Thankfully, most dvd players will stretch or zoom it appropriately, but I expect better, although it didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of the film as soon as I had adjusted. But I shouldn't have to adjust, and I couldn't help but feel that if the picture had been sharper the great animation would have stood out even more.

Despite that, this DVD is highly recommended and any fan of anime should enjoy this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing, 25 Oct 2008
Anine (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackjack [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
I bought the film based on the good reviews it got here on Amazon, but I was disappointed, and I don't think it was because of my high expectations either. The concept looked very interesting, this seemed like a great thriller, but sadly, it wasn't. For some reason the film never engages you, there is never any real suspense or excitement. I guess you could say that I wouldn't have cared if someone had turned the film off midway through.

I find myself thinking that this might have been a super thriller if there had been a different director or scriptwriter team, I feel the problem with the slow drive of the film lies in the execution. It's a shame that it ended up being so boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is more up to your own taste, 1 Aug 2003
This review is from: Blackjack [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
Doctor Blackjack is a brilliant, but uncertified surgeon who, for an immense fee, performs impossible surgery unofficially.
Two years ago, at the atlanta olympics, a whole string of world records was broken, and not by a bit. Soon these superhumans appear all over the world, nobodies at first, then suddenly performing tasks far beyond any normal person's ability.
The problem is, these people seem to get extremely ill after a few years, or months even: they rot away on the inside.
This is where doctor blackjack comes in: he's hired by a pharmaceutical company to find a cure... but finds himself intwined in a horrible conspiracy!
I personally like this film a lot, it's calmer than the average anime, everything in it is very precise, very 'surgical'. There's no humour in it, no action, its pure psychological suspense.
That added with the fascintating medical procedures you're shown ( ER doesn't even come close ) and class A animation makes this a worthwile DVD.
There are no dvd extra's, and the film itself is a bit slow, but besides that there's nothing really negative to say about this DVD.
It's no 'ghost in the shell', but certainly belongs in any respectable anime collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars blackjack is cool, 1 Aug 2008
This review is from: Blackjack [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
blackjack is a worthy addition to any anime fans collection,,it has a good story and the animation is good..i preferred the japanese voices to the over acted english dubbing and yes its not a patch on the 'big hitters' out there but it is an enjoyable thriller none the less..

2.0 out of 5 stars Well... interesting concept..., 30 Dec 2004
This review is from: Blackjack [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
OK. To start with the good stuff...
The plotline is very original. How many anime/mangas have you seen/read that are about doctors? None. Good. There's a reason for that...
Second. The animation. Top notch, it's excellant animation definatley! Beautiful to look at and there's even a mixture of original artwork in there too!
The dubbing, also excellant, I adore a lot of the voice actors here.
So, why only 2 stars? OK, well the plotline may be original but it's plain boring! And parts of it are also downright bizarre/confusing. To fully understand it all you have to pay attention and that is no small task when watching something so dull. And don't let the metaphor "A surgeon with the hands of God" throw you, that's all it is. A metaphor.
The music is alright but is doesn't fit. It just doesn't. It has the right feel about it but it starts to play at the most bizarre point in the movie. Which spoils it.
The character design... isn't too interesting. I'll commend the designers for trying to keep it real, but in anime it can be nice to have something a bit strange. OK, Blackjack's hair fits the bill but that's all. And other character just looks downright weird (notice the resemblance between Pinoco and that Astro-boy puzzle she's always doing?).
OK. So we got good animation. We got great voice acting. We got originality. We got blood. If that's your perfect formula, then I would have to point you towards something else, most likely Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. Steer clear of this. Unless you're a doctor and want to see other doctors in action...

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 3 July 2003
This review is from: Blackjack [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
A mysterious and un-licenced surgeon by the name Black Jack is faced with a hideous 'epidemic', sports men and women are breaking new world records by the second in the Atlanta olympics, but then falling to a horrific illnesses, which comes to be known as Moyra Syndrome. This condition induces these states of super-human activity, enabling the infected to perform above any other human, but then the victim falls to a grusome death. Black Jack is called in to discover the cause and find a cure. The finale is a real gut-churner, with morals and ethics being thrown out the window at every turn. Definately worth a watch if you ask me!! But sick-bags and buckets at the ready!

Blackjack [1993] [DVD]
Blackjack [1993] [DVD] by Osamu Dezaki (DVD - 2003)