4.0 out of 5 stars Well acted, enjoyable and moving

Published on 26 May 2003 by Mrs. J. E. Wyn-jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars This isn't as bad as the critics said, 26 May 2003
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
I rented this movie the night it came out in the UK despite the critics reports. Despite the fact it was panned by almost everyone, and in fact went straight to DVD without being released in the UK, I love Madonna and Guy Ritchie's other films. Don't believe the hype, she really is not bad in this at all. She has made some stinkers, but this is not one of them. She can act in it and does so quite well. She produces a genuine feeling of sympathy for her character when her Co Star actually uses physical violence against her and is just plain horrible to her. But... and this is a big but, there is a problem with the movie and its nothing to do with the acting, the fabulous location, or the directing. Its just plain boring. Not a great script, characters one dimensional, I really wanted to switch off half way. I am glad I rented it, but I wouldn't watch it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Madonna is a good actress!, 8 July 2003
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
Although the critics hated this movie, they unjustifiably slated Madonna in it which is not fair as she is great in this movie. She has proven she can act and does so with feeling, depth and emotion. The movie is a bit dull and it kills me to say that as I love Guy Ritchie and all his other stuff, but its not bad, there's plenty of worse movies out there which didn't get half as bad reviews. All in all, an entertaining movie, well acted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Many different ways to judge this movie, 10 May 2003
Andrew Parodi (Oregon, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
As a fan of Madonna for 20 years (since I was seven), I admit that I am most likely unable to offer an unbiased review of any Madonna project. I am always giving her the benefit of the doubt, especially in the genre she has the most difficulty with: movies. After many many attempts, and despite a Golden Globe award for Best Actress in EVITA, true movie star status eludes Madonna. It is a mystery to me how Madonna can be the most successful female singer of all time, and yet usually give bad performances in movies. It is a mystery to me why - after selling over 100 million albums - she even *wants* to be an actress. Alas, she does. And, alas, she usually fails. And, because I love her, I keep coming back ... hoping.
One level on which to judge this movie is in terms of Madonna's evolution as an actress. On those terms, she gives an astonishingly beautiful performance, perhaps the best of her career. But one must keep in mind how awful she has been in the past to grade on this curve (THE NEXT BEST THING anyone?). If she were any other actress, I would have turned off the DVD. I can still see her mistaking body positioning for emotional expression (she thinks she's still in Martha Graham's interpretive dance studio). Actors have a term for this kind of acting: "mugging." To her credit, however, she doesn't do that much of it in SWEPT AWAY.
Another way to judge this movie is to remember that Madonna does not do single projects. She launches franchises. In 1987 it was the WHO'S THAT GIRL? era, with a movie, an album, a song, a video, and a world tour all with that title. In 1990 it was the "blonde era" with Madonna starring in DICK TRACY as the Marilyn-inspired blonde bombshell Breathless Mahoney, releasing the album I'M BREATHLESS, and launching the BLONDE AMBITION world tour. SWEPT AWAY is part of the "work with my husband" era. Madonna wants to constantly remind the public that, unconventional though she is, she *has* found a husband and *does* have a family: Madonna's husband, Guy Ritchie, directed SWEPT AWAY, as well as the video for WHAT IT FEELS LIKE FOR A GIRL and a car commercial in which she starred. The basic premise of SWEPT AWAY - a rich woman scorned by many but given a type of redemption by a younger man with less money - perfectly mirrors Madonna's current life. The behind-the-scenes footage of Guy Ritchie in his director's mode yelling at Adriano Giannini (the true star of this film) to "Get off her!" was shown around the world. She is not the Boy Toy anymore. She is Guy Ritchie's wife. So, as a singular project, SWEPT AWAY is not a success (the storyline does not translate well from the Italian or the '70s). But as a means to reiterate Madonna's current franchise, it does the trick.
And yet, and yet, at moments SWEPT AWAY almost works: Madonna occasionally seems natural, and the scenery is always beautiful. It's enough to make me think that Madonna may actually, possibily, be on the road to one day being a legitimate actress.
Bottom line: as with most Madonna films, this is only for the diehard fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep away from Swept Away?, 26 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
This film has had many negative reviews so when I watched the film I was expecting it to be awful. However, it isn't THAT bad. I enjoyed the contemporary Ritchie direction that added another angle to the film. Madonna's acting is not fantastic, and not as convincing as Giannini's, BUT the film IS entertaining and actually quite funny in places. I thought the worst acting bits were when Adriano Giannini forces Madonna to be his 'servant' as she wants him to help her to survive on the island - it seemed unconvincing and not as powerful as it could have been. The best bits are when the couple start to get on and fool around together which is where I think Madonna is natural - being spontaneous and playful - and this is also apparent in the 'special features' which is arguably the best part of the DVD. Good bits and bad bits but overall I enjoyed watching the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well acted, enjoyable and moving, 6 Dec. 2004
Nothern Climes (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
It has to be said, I didn't know what to expect given the other mixed reviews but I'm very pleasantly surprised. I admired the acting and thought the chemistry of Madonna and Adriano Giannini worked well. Perhaps if one is used to watching Madonna on stage, a letdown might be perceived as her role demanded something different to that which most of us associate with her character - but taking the film as a whole (without prior knowledge) will probably work best. Having said that, I couldn't help thinking of her history and interest in S&M during some of the scenes on the island, but then that might just be me!
This is NOT a typical Hollywood movie and this certainly works in its favour. As an aside, there was a refreshing lack of product placement, some delightful Mediterranean scenery and the ending was both unusual and unexpected. I found it very absorbing throughout and worth the effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, touching and many many fish, 27 April 2003
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
If the initial reviews are to be believed, your DVD player will burst into flames as soon as the disk is inserted. This won't happen. Instead you'll watch it, and think "What was all the fuss about".
It's a comedy drama about relationships and the power within them. Madonna plays the spoiled, rich lady of leisure, a sort of Karen from Will and Grace without the charm. You'll either think she's funny because no one could be this rude or just plain rude. Her life is transformed when ... oh, you're going to know the plot, right? I'm not going to get in trouble for spoilers?
Yes, she's Swept Away to an island where the man who's life she made a living hell for the last week is suddenly her only means of survival. But he's not going to be nice about it. There are scene's of him slapping his former tormentor, and verbally abusing her.
The acting during all of this is convincing, the plot doesn't do what happened in "Next Best Thing" and suddenly transform from a comedy to a drama with no warning. Elements of both can be found throughout, with enough twists and titters to satisfy in each department.
It's certainly not a "criminally overlooked masterpiece" by any means, it's a bit too thoughtful and provoking to be an all out "feelgood" movie, a bit too lightweight to be a torrid drama. I think this is why American critics hated it so much - they are so used to putting films in these easy to digest categories that when one comes along that doesn't quite fit they don't know what to do but attack it. What it does is tell a story well, make some laughs, engage you with some characters and confirm that you can't believe everything you read.

2.0 out of 5 stars A vile, angry, boring, pale imitation of a classic film..., 17 Jan. 2012
John J. Martinez (Chicago, Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
To say I like Madonna in film (and her second flat attempt to copy an already well-established story, the first being "Evita") is to also say that I would rather prefer to eat McDonalds' artifical "food" than to sit at a fine restaurant and eat a well-prepared 5-course dinner.

I would love to give you a point by point description of how sad, boring, drawn-out and NON-feminist this movie is as opposed to Lina Wertmuller's fantastic expositive view on male and female roles, society, and love.

Madonna is truly a bitch in this disaster, and the only saving grace is given by the somewhat haphazard attempt to act by her co-star, Giancarlo Giannini lookalike (and son) Adriano. She gives him no real room to stretch out and show any kind of real emotion, and he ends up looking as wooden as the luxury boat they argue on.

I'm disappointed once again by her performance, which shows about as much growth as any 4th grader in their first leading role could.

I want to go on, and normally I do, but I'm going to leave you with this one thought:

The video? Crystal clear, and the island they are deserted on is wonderfully treated - swaying hot tropical jungles, almost white sandy beaches, perfect for two people to connect, both eotionally and sexually if they were deserted and knew that maybe one day they would be rescued.

The audio? Perfect as well.

The movie, the acting, the lack of real substance and horrible non-ending that is nowhere near the original ending and so forced my arm hurt from being twisted so badly? I almost threw up in my mouth a little.

Internationally, Madonna can do no wrong. I expect that in the UK she is as revered as another of our USA saints, Michael Jackson. Here in America? Not so much. Her star has dropped way off the charts a long time ago.

I give this disaster (which, after an abysmal showing in the U.S. theaters, the "unrated" U.K. version of the film was released directly to DVD worldwide) 2 stars at best.

Yuk.

I feel so dirty having reviewed this I'm immediately watching the original, which has a wonderful dry sexual spirit to it.

Madonna should NOT quit her day job.

2.0 out of 5 stars A curious curiosity, 28 Sept. 2009
S.M. Gidley (Sidmouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
I really don't know what to make of this at all. The one thing that is blindingly obvious is that Madonna, for the most part, is a truly terrible actress. There just seems to be nothing going on behind her eyes and here she has decided that her character demands shrill petulance and that's what you get. For a dancer she is a surprisingly bad physical actress too, she moves and even stands still with the self-consciousness of a six-year-old in a nativity play. However, to be fair, there are a couple moments where she is actually fairly funny, but that's your lot.

What really hampers this film is a screenplay, by director Guy Ritchie, containing dialogue of the very worst kind, and all the actors suffer because of it; it seems there is only so much you can do with terrible words and all the characters are woefully underdeveloped. This is a shame as the thing that kept me watching was to see how it would end up and I actually really liked the downbeat ending and you did begin to feel for the characters' predicament.

There was clearly a Lord of the Flies thing going on but this is disastrously explored. It's done in a comic way which is completely undermining. Apparently the Italian original handled all this better and had strong socio-political overtones but this is totally absent in Ritchie's hamfisted screenplay.

The real star of the film is the location. I think Swept Away was filmed in Sardinia and it looks beautiful.

There are some deleted scenes and trailers but the real thing of interest is a making-of feature containing Madonna and then-husband Ritchie interviewing each other.

This film is more of a curiosity and is quite enjoyable in that sense if you resign yourself to what you're about to sit through. Frankly, it should never have been made and no-one should hire Madonna again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget the bad reviews, judge for yourself, 3 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this dvd in the sale for 9.99, i was going to buy it at 19.99 but as there has been so much bad publicity about this film i thought it wont be worth it.
As soon as we started to watch the movie it was instantly enjoyable! everything from the colours,lighting great set pieces, clothes and scenery.
its true that the script can go a bit off track somewhere in the middle. but its a unoffensive flaw, overalll this is a enjoyable film, very watchable because of the scenery and Madonna who looks great and delivers genuinly funny lines.
This should have been released at the cinima it is one of madonnas best films on par with despetly seeking susan. Evita leading the way.
this is a good movie and is more enjoyable than alot of the same hollywood crap that should go strait to video.

4.0 out of 5 stars don't believe the bad reviews!!, 14 May 2003
J. J. Osborn (st saviour, jersey Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swept Away (2002) [DVD] (DVD)
I believed the poor reception this film got in the USA and bought it hoping for a kitch-fest along the lines of 'Killing Me Softly'. This film is realy quite good and is 10 times better than any rom-com I have been forced to sit through in the past. Mrs Ritchie's much maligned acting is better than anyone would expect and even prompted me to shed a tear at the end! highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Swept Away (2002) [DVD]
Swept Away (2002) [DVD] by Guy Ritchie (DVD - 2003)