5.0 out of 5 stars The milky bars are on me!
Published on 30 April 2000 by popjunky

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, poor version of the DVD.
Published on 29 Sep 2009 by D. Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars The milky bars are on me!, 30 April 2000
OK so its a quiet saturday night and you figure, "I'll stay in... have some wine, maybe watch a movie" If that movie is human traffic before the midpoint you will have called your friends and left the building... not the most positive start to a review, but its because the film is SO good that you have to turn it off and enjoy your own club culture. Funny, Inventive, friendly, likable its a bunch of best mates in a video box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who You Been Callin' in Taaaiwaaan, Bhoy! %#, 2 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Human Traffic [1999] [DVD] (DVD)
This movie is an excellent portrayal of the rave and club sub cultures that have sprung up around the globe in the last decade or so. It's an insightful show of how people deal with the drugs, the parties and the general life.

If you liked GO! and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas you'll LOVE Human Traffic. This movie will leave a huge grin on your face and have you chuckling for a long, long time!

For all the E fiends as myself this is the flick to check! Nice one BRUVVA! i said nice one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, entertaining and nearly true, 8 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Human Traffic [1999] [DVD] (DVD)
If you're into rave culture, there is a lot here you will recognise and laugh at. After 10 years of Dance music and ecstasy in the UK, It is surprising that it has taken so long for someone to make a clued-up and realistic portrayal of what hundreds of thousands of people get up to every weekend. It drifts towards the cheesy from time to time, but as a charicature of a subculture this works great. It is littered with in-jokes, however, so if you are into rock music and beer, this may not be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch absoulute blinder of a film, 1 April 2000
M. Catchpole (Sussex England) - See all my reviews
This film does not waste time by disscusiing the issues related to drugs but tells a basically simple story of 5 ordinary people going out for a blinder of a weekend. This is a film we can all relate to as we have all been there. This simple but brilliant film is a film you must watch before you go out as it will simply build up your excitement and it will make you laugh till you cry. It is a must buy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, poor version of the DVD., 29 Sep 2009
D. Hughes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Traffic [1999] [DVD] (DVD)
First of all, this is a fantastic film. Well acted and it has an excellent soundtrack. The film is worth 5 stars. The reason I gave it 3 is because this is a poor release of the film. I borrowed my friends 2003 version of the film before I bought this one and it has the special features and is in 5.1 surround sound. This version (2007) has no special features and is in only 2.0 stereo. Take it from me, buy the older, second hand version of this film. It's virtually the same price but you get lot's more for your money. If you're going to by a classic, why not get it in it's best version.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Its an insane world but I'm proud to be part of it", 18 Nov 2004
This review is from: Human Traffic Remixed [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I first saw film a year ago, and it without a doubt one of the best movies I have ever seen. Side-splittingly funny and at the same time, deeply insightful.
Justin Kerrigan has created a masterpiece surrounding the British club culture, that will make you want to watch it again and again.
The sad fact is that is a hugely unknown film. The only place that people might know is coffee houses. Do not expect people in regular circles to know about this. Personally if anyone over 30 has seen it, be amazed.
Moff is the pinnacle of this movie, with so much character and humour, you'll be saying lines for weeks.
One of the highlights of this movie is that each individual character has a deep and believable story line.
So my recommendation buy this movie. Like the front cover says "One of the last great films of the Nineties".

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Insight To Clubbing In The 90's, 20 Jun 2000
This review is from: Human Traffic [1999] [DVD] (DVD)
"The weekend has landed. All that exists now is clubs, drugs, pubs and parties. I've got 48 hours off from the world, man. I'm gonna blow steam outa my head like a screaming kettle and talk codshit to strangers all night. I'm gonna lose the plot on the dance floor; the free radicals inside me are freaking man! Tonight I'm Jip Travolta, I'm Peter Popper - I'm going to Never Never Land with my chosen family man. We're gonna get more spaced out than Neil Armstrong ever did. Anything could happen tonight ya know! This could be the best night of my life! I've 73 quid in my back burner, I'm gonna wax the lot, the Milky Bars are on. Yeah!" So exclaims Jip, one of five central characters of the films that accurately and comprehensively sums up club life in Britain throughout the Nineties. This is the real deal, charting as it controversially does (for some people), the use of Ecstasy, Cocaine and a good few spliffs as merely components of a blinding weekend's partying! Forget the likes of the squeaky clean, "nice" images of Britain as portrayed by the likes of "Four Weddings" or "Notting Hill" - these are real club people and this is what it's like. Thanks to Radio One's Pete Tong acting as musical advisor even the soundtrack is bang on the button and features contributions from Orbital, Fat Boy Slim, Carl Cox, Underworld, and Armand Van Helden amongst others. Dead accurate and scorchingly hilarious much of the time, this is an absolutely essential ninety minutes of era-charting brilliance delivered with aplomb by a cast of virtually unknown actors. Totally recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snapshot Of The 90's Dance Music Culture - A Modern Day 'Quadrophenia', 6 Oct 2006
Sandstorm606 (Poole Dorset U.K.) - See all my reviews
Many films over the years have approached the task of a realistic interpretation of the causes and effects of drug use on youth culture. Most have handled the subject as being a singular form of escape from a monotonous lifestyle, or as a '1 off' experiment that snowballs into dependency. However, few have given such a realistic and accurate snapshot of how a whole generation formed a unique togetherness, until the wonderfully crafted 'Human Traffic' that is.

A key element to the films subject matter is one that the tabloid press have devoted endless headlines to and demonised the use of. That is, the use of 'Ecstasy', a drug which has developed a close bond with the dance music scene since the mid 90's.

Produced by Justin Kerrigan, the film follows 5 friends on a typical weekend out in Cardiff, though the setting could be any town or city in the country. The sense of build up to the up comming night out is portrayed in manner that will be instantly recognised to many.... but will hit a note more directly to those who have experienced similar euphoric feelings!

The cast assembled by Kerrigan give a true realism that comes with an understanding of the factors that acompany the dance music scene. So much so that the film could never have worked with actors who hadn't experienced first hand the highs - and lows - of a sub-culture that has been felt by a whole generation and beyond.

John Simm, Danny Dyer and Co., with the help of a soundtrack that makes the spine tingle, combine to produce a masterpiece of cinematography which neither glorifies nor condemns the use of any drug, regardless of classification.

Society will always have drugs and have those prepared to 'experiment'. Therefore, it can be viewed that a film such as 'Human Traffic' is truly NEEDED in the absence of any documentary type explanations on the subject. For those who do choose to experiment regardless, the un-biased storyline goes some way to advise on responsible 'social' drug use, rather than purely showing the effects.

But for the vast majority of us that left the drugs behind as we grew older, the film offers something that is far from a slippery road to drug dependency.

It quite simply shows a moment in time that will be remembered fondly by those who experienced it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The weekend has landed, 10 April 2006
This review is from: Human Traffic Remixed [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
I decided to buy this as I've worn the old VHS copy out. Plus, I'm a sucker for 'remixes!' There are a few extra scenes and some of the music has been updated in the club. There are also one or two scenes that have been cut. Moff visits his dealer for one.
Not much in the way of features. A 'making of' documentary, a couple of short films from his student days & some more deleted scenes. My favourite is the car journey. Its only trivial, but they are driving along and the tape jams in the cassette player. A total, chemically induced, over the top reaction follows, threatening the interruption of the buzz! Only one thing you can do in that situation.. Sing up! It might be lost on some people but others will know what I mean. Its this attention to detail that makes the film special.
I'm totally convinced that Justin Kerrigan was part of the scene, as you don't get such close parallels without living it for real. If anything the acting is a little too good, right down to the dilated pupils. I think the cast really did their homework on this. In fact may still have been doing it whilst filming... Only kidding ;)
Energetic first half, with a blinding soundtrack. System F - Out of the Blue, remains my favourite dance track of all time. A slower more uncomfortable feel to the second half, maybe to balance the equation, albeit light-heartedly & show us that ecstasy isn't all empathy n skittles.
I think it's a pretty fine debut from Kerrigan, who clearly put a lot of effort into this. It makes me a little sad when I hear stories about it being locked in distribution battles & burning him out before he's even begun. Maybe that's why we haven't heard anything from him since? Shame, as he clearly has talent.
We risk sanity
for moments of temporary enlightenment.
So many ideas, so little memory.
The last thought
killed by the anticipation of the next.
We embrace an overwhelming feeling
of love. We flow in unison.
We're together.
I wish this was real

5.0 out of 5 stars The best beats about..!, 12 Aug 2003
This review is from: Human Traffic Remixed [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
Having not seen the 'Non Special Edition' of this film, I don't know what they've done to it to make it 'Special' but it certainly did it for me.
The music has you out of your seat and in your own virtual club whilst the characters (who are so different from each other in their background culture but are brought to the same level by E's and their love of music) make you want to join them in the film.
I actually watched this film twice in one night because of the music and now I'm awaiting the soundtrack CD, which i hope won't disappoint me..
Quite simply, buy this film for the music, buy it for the culture and buy it for the sheer enjoyment it will provide you with.

Human Traffic Remixed [DVD] [1999]
Human Traffic Remixed [DVD] [1999] by John Simm (DVD - 2003)
2.75