on 31 December 2003
Having read the previous reviews about this being the Rolls Royce of Scrabble and a great experience for the older generation, I purchased this as a gift for my in-laws. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!
On opening the box you will find wooden racks that are so roughly finished you could get splinters from them. In addition the tiles have not been printed uniformly, some letters are at the top of the tile, some in the middle and some at the bottom. Given that the board when opened out has a huge crease along it making it impossible to lay tiles sensibly, all in all this was a great disappointment to me and the recipients of the gift. My advice - pay the extra and get Scrabble Deluxe ( if you can get hold of it) and shop around - mine was £31.
on 10 January 2005
Poor value for money compared with later editions: no pencils, score-pads, bags for tiles. Dissatisfied. Exaggerated sales pitch.
Jeremy P. Fawcett
on 29 April 2010
I love Scrabble, though many I know view it venomously as the root of family arguments and the author of awkward tensions between competing comrades. I bought this just before they announced the rules shall be altered in June to be allow proper nouns. Nonsense I say! So I'm very happy to have this anachronism - it's lovely to feel the wooden tiles and racks, and see the old muted colours on the board. Certainly worth the extra few quid you pay to avoid the plastic set. And dare I say it's more environmentally friendly?!
on 11 March 2010
This is a very well made classic wooden Scrabble. All the pieces are smooth and well made and are very pleasant to touch. The letters are not just printed on the wooden pieces but are etched into them. I think it will last for many years. The only thing missing for me is that the Scrabble score pad isn't included in this version of the game.
on 23 September 2011
I'm totally delighted with my Classic Scrabble set! I do appreciate that the pieces are not as smooth or as substantial as the Scrabble I grew up with, but what a joy it is to play with a Scrabble that is not made of plastic!
on 5 May 2010
I ordered the Classic Wooden Scrabble as we wanted a practical, durable game brought out to Tanzania where we live. When it arrived, the letters and amount of each letters were correct for English Scrabble, but the board is in Dutch! This isn't a huge deal for those of us who have played for years and know what each coloured block means in terms of points, but for new players, it's annoying! Why sell an English game in an English box, with English instructions, but a Dutch board? If I lived in the UK, I would return it for this reason.
on 21 June 2011
Just as you'd expect. Good quality wooden letters and letter holders. Better than the "original" one I had in the 1970s.
on 17 January 2013
This was purchased as a gift for a couple of Scrabble addicts and has lived up to expectations. After considerable use, the board remains in good condition and all but one of the tiles retains the lettering. It turned out to be the perfect present for the recipients.
on 10 October 2011
Excellent educational game for all the family. The classic edition uses original wooden letter tablets which have a better "feel" than modern plastic versions. Don't hesitate and join the "club"!
on 7 July 2003
Scrabble exists in many forms but the Classic is the classic. The soft tone of the playing board and all pieces in wood makes for familiar experience when played by the older generation!