4.0 out of 5 stars Black Magic Woman., 9 July 2012
Duluoz Lautrec (Dewsbury, Yorkshire.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Magic Rites [1973] [DVD] (DVD)
The basic plot of 'Black Magic Rites' is of a man who buys half a castle, the other half belonging to the kind of man you wouldn't want to co-own a castle with, they have some kind of castle warming party and the ladies (all of whom lose some of their clothes at one point or another) start disappearing, the spiel on the back cover claims that it climaxes in the slaughter of 7 naked virgins in a demonic orgy which is the biggest exaggeration since they said the Titanic was unsinkable but there you go, all this is played against a back story of witches being burnt at the stake in the olden days and the reincarnation of those involved.
It's an enjoyable 1970s mix of vampires, witches, torture, nudity, the devil and stars Rita Calderoni (Nude For Satan, Delirium) who's always good value for money and even though it's obvious Renato Polselli didn't have a shed load of money to spend (there's a snake pit which is an old cellar and one plastic snake!) he uses lighting and editing particularly well.
So, all in all, an enjoyable slice of 1970s Satan inspired Italian cinema.

4.0 out of 5 stars Was I dreaming?, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Black Magic Rites [1973] [DVD] (DVD)
I had to watch this twice in one day. I'll explain - I was tired and found myself dozing through the hypnotic array of scantily clad (and unclad) women being fondled and prodded with sticks. The fantastically mesmerising psychedelic music sent me into a trance like state so that I wasn't sure if I was actually watching the film or imagining it in my sleepy state. At the end of the film I was confused as to what had happened and vowed to watch it again when I was more with it. This I did (later that same day) - and it still made no real sense! I found myself not caring, though, because there is plenty to enjoy. Polselli has created a haunting, psychedelic masterpiece: full of gorgeous women, satanic rites, vampirism, sexual tension and bonkers religious villagers. Much better than any Rollin film, in my opinion, this holds the attention through all the insanity due to the quality of the direction and editing. Polselli has achieved a lot with very little. Sure it's a bit creaky in places and there are 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' shifts of day/night in some scenes, but if you want a very entertaining slice of 70s Italian Horror Cinema then look no further!

Black Magic Rites [1973] [DVD]
Black Magic Rites [1973] [DVD] by Renato Polselli (DVD - 2004)