4.0 out of 5 stars An all round funky album
Published on 12 Sep 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a one or two hit wonder...
It seems a very long time ago since I purchased this product and to be honest I cannot say that it has stayed in the memory especially, but I don't recall any issues with it.

Nice tone. One memorable song.
Published 6 months ago by Stuart King

4.0 out of 5 stars An all round funky album, 12 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
I was very impressed when the single of gotta get thru this came out. A funky dance offering with a very catchy beat and a superb voice to match. I have waited patiently for the album to come out and i have to say i am pleasently impressed. The album isn't purely all dance/garage but the tracks that do follow this trend namely :- the title track, james dean, blow it again and my personal favourite friday are all well worth a listen. The track "Right girl" offers a more hip hop feel and it works well. There are a couple of ballads as well "if your not the one" reminds me of East 17's stay another day for some reason. My favourite tracks on the album however are the ones with a strong acoustic influence. The tracks "he don't love you like i love you", "girlfriend" and the superb acoustic take of "gotta get thru this" are all pretty superb.
I would recommend this album to most people who enjoy the single releases. I find Daniel's voice is very compatible with all the different styles displayed on this album which results in a great album to listen to before going out.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEVASTATINGLY AWESOME, 12 Sep 2002
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
Daniel Bedingfield's new CD, following from his pulverising single chart song "Gotta get thru this ", is another amazing feat for someone who does music "in his bedroom". This talented guy sings like no one else can at the moment; the lyrics are original and have depth for a change. This is new talent on the scene. This CD is somewhat complex because each song is so different than any other, and what comes on the next track is kind of unexpected. But it's really nice, and a change from the boring predictability of so many albums produced for artists who often can't sing or play an instrument as electronics do it all for them. Daniel Bedingfield's blend of styles is testimony to his creativity -and his voice sounds almost ...angelic at times, in complete contrast to the other louder raunchy tracks on the CD.So versatile.
Has Daniel Bedingfield been sent to pick up the idle mantle left by the likes of Michael Jackson, George Michael and Prince? Good news, he probably has. Get this CD, listen to it several times, and you'll likely be convinced.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic debut album, 10 May 2003
CJ (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
I bought this album not really knowing what to expect. After hearing the third single release 'If You're Not The One', it made me wonder if Daniel Bedingfield has a bit more about him than just the fast-paced 'James Dean' and 'Gotta Get Thru This' and although the album doesn't quite manage that much variety, it is fantastic stuff.
I was amazed at how varied the tracks can be. In fairness, there is generally a catchy rock/pop theme, but the lyrics and music carry it through and Bedinigfield is clearly happy with experimenting. Evidence of this is the sublime 'Inflate My Ego' (my favourite), something of a dance track featuring a sample of The Peter Gunn Theme, which came as a surprise!
Buy this now, Daniel Bedingfield is a great talent and this is a very enjoyable album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn Good..., 14 Jan 2003
Philip Roberts (Brighton - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
I must be honest, I thought when 'Gotta get through this' came out (single) I thought Daniel Bedingfield, was going to be a one hit wonder, and when 'James Dean' came out, that opinion didn't waver, then when he released the third, and strongest single yet 'If You're not the one' I had to think again. It was this single (If you're not the one) that made me go out and buy the album, as it is one of those songs that makes the hairs on your arms stand on end. Then... When I played the album right through, I was very pleasantly surprised.
There are some excellent tracks on here, the first on the album 'Blown it again' is a contender for the number one slot in the chart. Track 12 'inflate my ego' With a sample from the Peter Gunn Theme is simply brilliant and worthy of a hit for Daniel. In fact you are hard pushed to find an album track that has been put there to fill space.
In an age of instant pop stars and 'bands', deserved respect should be given to Daniel, for doing it the hard way, for sitting down, and writing what is in his head and heart. This is a worthy debut album, and Daniel has carved out a place for himself as an artist, and a place that will still be there for him in years to come, because the impression you get from this album, is that there is plenty more from where this came from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get thru this!, 31 Aug 2002
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
Those who hailed Daniel Beddingfield as the new 'King of Garage'following the sucess of the single of the same title are said to be disappointed with this debut offering from the said man. These cynical reviewers are to be taken with a pinch of salt,however.
The garage and upbeat tracks are great,he is the man who does them best. Tracks like the title track, James Dean and Friday are brilliant, catchy and bassy,with strong meanings. The heartfelt ballads are in stark contrast to this style, and come at first as a bit of a shock in comparison, but they come across as sensitive, deep, gorgeous tunes. They are all written by Daniel himself,no contrived boyband type dirges.
And what is wrong with different styles? People do not have to be neatly packaged into boxes and labelled, they do have different sides. There is a soul bared in this album, and it is great to listen to,dancing,chilling out,getting ready,whatever. And I got an A for music - I know!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very classy debut, 9 Feb 2005
Stracs "Stracs" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
This album is one of the best debuts by a British artist for many years. Bedingfield demonstrates on Gotta Get Through This what a talented and intelligent song writer he is. He combines a poppy, garage type style with intelligent and thoughtful lyrics to produce some very classy music. His voice is just awesome, with a great range, tone and full of emotion. He is also open about his belief in God which is not only brave these days, but gives the lyrics and extra punch and meaning that not all artists can give.
His debut single, Gotta Get Through This, was massive and is one of the very best songs on here. It is a very powerful tune and gives the album a real punch. The strongest songs on here are of course the singles, but there is not a weak song on the album, no fillers, and as such it is a joy to listen to. Uplifting pop combines with some tear jerking ballads to make this album a must have for music fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away, 5 Sep 2002
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
With the fantastic new single 'James Dean' playing on the air waves I was convinced this album would be perfect for me. What a pleasant surprise I got when not all the songs were funky dance numbers. Shocking as it may seem Daniel has a brilliant voice for singing moving ballads, and never have lyrics sounded so personal than in this collection of songs. 'If you're not the one' starts off slowly but once it moves on you will relax and enjoy his smooth voice. For an instant pick me up 'Blown it again' and 'I can't read you' will do the trick and leave you singing along. This album holds a perfect balance of bouncy, up tempo songs along with the slower adorable songs. Daniel has proved himself more than just a one hit wonder and by the sounds of this album he has many more hits to come!

4.0 out of 5 stars Here is some true talent, 22 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
Well done Daniel. It is so refreshing that someone has released an album based on his acoustic talent and songwritng genius. In this one there is a great mix of genres - something that is welcome as most artists/bands tend to sing the same type of song over and over again (Westlife, Blue, Blink 182, Sophie EB etc). Its great that Daniel has experimented and while some have come off better than others, all efforts are very competent to say the least. I think his strength is the funky, garage flavours - present in the first four tracks and a couple of later ones - but ballad If Your Not The One is very well executed and written beautifully. Overall, a very promising debut and a ray of hope for all you homegrown stars in the making out there recording in your bedrooms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch your back Robbie, 12 Dec 2002
craig bird (Leicester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
This isn't the review of a starstruck teenager (not that there is anything wrong with that, I wish I was one again myself) no, this is a 38 year old guy who just likes listening to a wide variety of musical styles and thankfully there are a few on this excellent debut.
I'd heard the debut single and the recent No.1 If You're Not The One and decided to check out the rest of the album but I must admit my expectations were not high, but from the very first track I was hooked. Daniel is a master of the hook, that little unexpected melody or beat which grabs you and stays in the mind for the rest of the day. Blown It Again is pure Mark Morrison without the attitude and the ballads stand well against anything young Mr Williams has released recently, He Don't Love You Like I Love You has a simple but infectious melody that demands to be hummed over and over much to the annoyance of work colleagues.
The most surprising thing for me was the extent of musical influences particularly (and my age is showing here!) The Police. I Can't Read You and Friday could be lifted straight from the back catalogue of Stings former chums, I challenge anyone of a similar age to listen to the chorus vocal harmonies on these tracks and not be reminded of The Police's So Lonely.
Overall this is a more than promising debut album by a star in the making. There are another 3 chart-topping singles in this album at least. With better production this could have been a 5 star album, but this is a singer songwriter who has a great future and could give the present pop superstars an interesting run for their money over the coming years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Ballad Writer, A Great Voice, 6 Feb 2003
C. Briggs (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gotta Get Thru This (Audio CD)
I loved the track 'If you're not the one' every time I heard it on the radio. At first I just thought it was going to be a one-off song which hit a soft spot. However, I took the chance and bought the album just for that one song, thinking that it's better value for money to buy an album rather than a single.
As it happens, on this occasion it was the best thing I'd done in a long time. I was really surprised as to how good and how varied in style Daniels songs were. I particularly liked the more ballad based ones, 'Honest Questions' possibly being my favourite together with 'If you're not the one'. He has such a great voice, and if the class of this first album is repeated in his future releases, then the u.k. has a new and vast talent to enjoy and be proud of. Well done Daniel on this your debut album, and may there be many more to follow.
I am in truth a bit of a Prog Rocker, but I could not recommend this album more highly. Go out and buy it, listen to it a few times and you'll wonder why you hadn't bought it sooner.

Gotta Get Thru This
Gotta Get Thru This by Daniel Bedingfield (Audio CD - 2004)