5.0 out of 5 stars More than a TV Classic

Published on 10 Aug 2007 by T. Borras

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a TV Classic, 19 Nov 2005
J. W. Platt "Author of the Book" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poldark: Series 1 - Part 1 [DVD] [1975] (DVD)
The "Poldark" TV series truly brings the wonderful novels of Winston Graham alive. The evocation of Cornwall in the late eighteenth century is outstanding, a sense of place, time and social interraction woven into a fine plot, set against a stunning coastal background, and made real by magnificent casting. One could not imagine how the immortal characters from the books could have been better cast. Highly recommended to anyone who loves good yarns, Cornwall, or better yet, both.

4.0 out of 5 stars review of poldark series 1 part 1, 2 Feb 2004
marie staniforth (manchester , england) - See all my reviews
For anyone who likes period dramas or just a bit of romance Poldark series 1 part 1 is fantastic viewing.By todays standards the special effects and sets are not as elaborate,however the storylines speak for themselves.
The first episode begins with Ross Poldark returning to Cornwall from the American wars of independance to find his father dead,his estate a shambles and his beloved Elizabeth engaged to his cousin Francis.Ross later shocks the local gentry by marrying below his class with a former street urchin Demelza, but who does he really love Demelza or Elizabeth?.
Angharad Rees is fantastic and believable as the feisty Demelza as is Robin Ellis as the brooding Captain Poldark.
'Poldark' is pure nostalgia and highly addictive you'll need to watch the episodes in a marathon session. It will also have your mums and grans reminiscing about nights in front of the tv in the 'good old days'.Its worth a watch just to hear some terrible attempts at a cornish accent!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Family Viewing!!!, 27 Mar 2007
This review is from: Poldark: Series 1 - Part 1 [DVD] [1975] (DVD)
I was really surprised to see that there was only one review for Poldark, so I thought that I had better write one to let everybody know that this is a fantastic series.

My family remember watching this the first time round in the 1970s. And they loved watching it again. I'm not old enough to remember this first time round but it has become a firm favourite with me too.

It's all about a man called Poldark who returns to 18th century Cornwall to discover the love of his life has married someone else and his house and tin mines are gone to ruin. People are against him, they try and betray him, and then he meets another woman who ... but look, I don't want to spoil this for you. Treat yourself - it's so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars A study in charactger-driven drama, 8 April 2009
Adie Barrett (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poldark: Series 1 - Part 1 [DVD] [1975] (DVD)
Excellent series, although I agree with the previous posting regarding the deviations from the books, which are excellent reads in themselves. Of course they were necessarily condensed down but even I who often enjoys television over books was surprised over some omissions. I understand Series 1 comprised the four books published over many years since the first, while the next three instalments Winston Graham wrote rather faster which made up Series 2; but the speed of his writing denigrated little (in my opinion) from the second series they produced onscreen, and whose conclusion is as dramatic and involved as any other situation bred from the characters. (And I know what I mean by that!)

The original characters, extremely well-drawn in the books, spring to life onscreen here and revolve around the noble, but reckless Captain Ross who lives life to the full, exhibiting an unhealthy liking for adding dangerous edges to his proceedings. Often, his progressive ideas means he falls foul of his flambouyant peers - especially the "enemy" of the Warleggan family who'll stop at nothing in grinding Ross, his friends and other neighbours into the ground at the earliest opportunity in their desire to take over Cornwall in the financial sphere. Incidentally, George Warleggan (Ross' sworn enemy) is described in he books as a sturdy man with a "bull neck", hidden by scarves and other apparel. As portrayed by the lighter Ralph Bates, his brilliant invokation of George Warleggan is a villain worthy of every boo and hiss I can muster.

The 'growing-up' of Demelza from street urchin par excellence to fully fledged lady is besutifully portrayed by the more-than-capable Angharad Rees, who ends up marrying her caring but complex master through a series of events enough to try any man. But we end up caring so much for all the central characters, even the weak Cousin Francis, excellently portrayed by Clive Francis. Ininitially in the pocket of the Warleggans, provoked into turning on Cousin Ross, and generally unable to cope with what life has dealt him, he still provokes our sympathy.

The viewers' desire is that all will become well between him and his estranged Cousin, all sparked off by the latter's totally unexpected return from the American wars, which provides the igniting spark for most of the storylines. The most acute initial point of difficulty between Ross and Francis involves the beautiful Elizabeth - the reason Ross returned to the desperately poor Cornwall at all. So as to not spoiling any potential viewers' expectations of this series I will not reveal how but rest assured Elizabeth is central to many happennings, some with the most unexpected results.

But it is Ross and Demelza we heartily root for, even through infuriating behaviour to others, and to each other, some actions threatening to tear their very souls apart in an instant. Their humanity wins the day, especially Ross and his privileged - if poor - position in Cornish society, where his assisting one unlucky tenant of his nearly places a noose around his own neck, the Warleggans jumping in feet-first in their enthusiasm to help make it happen, at least they can try...

At the time I was a teenager and any character whose portraying actor changed halfway through a run often perplexed me and took that character out of my belief zone for a while; that has not changed over the years and the fundalmental warmth generated by Richard Morant as the idealistic Doctor Enys and his growing strong friendship with Ross and Demelza still jars me when Series 2 commences and Michael Cadman has a difficult job taking over (for me, anyway) an already strongly-established characterisation. But that is me, and many series are afflicted by this common occurence. "Poldark" was one series always strong enough to enable me to get over that.

I would like the entire series unedited and in individual episodic format - until all these four sets are sold completely out that is most unlikely. I also live in hope that some enterprising television company will one day risk bringing the remaining "Poldark" novels to life. But costume dramas will probably wane in times of Credit Crunches and dare I say it recessions, so thank God the BBC took the plunge way back then.

For those who like me who want to discover where character names originated, "Poldark" demands keeping a large-scale map of Cornwall at hand....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great British Drama, 23 Aug 2011
R. NEIL (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poldark: Series 1 - Part 1 [DVD] [1975] (DVD)
I bought this set many months back as my wife was always saying that there was nothing to watch on TV when I was away working. It sat unopened on the shelf all that time until we finally decided to have a look a few weeks back. We managed to watch the whole lot in three settings - I think it's about six hours in total over the two discs.

I'd never seen Poldark before but that did not matter as the production is so good and the acting excellent that you hardly notice any areas where it has dated. There are some minor gripes elsewhere in these reviews about dodgy Cornish accents and lack of a split into episodes but these really are trivial complaints.

The story is covered elsewhere in the reviews. All I would add is that the casting is excellent and the story telling is magnificent. I've now had to get the remaining sets which are seemingly not available from new at the moment. I've also started reading the books.

It seems to work on two levels - that of my wife who is revisiting the stories having watched them in the 1970s and for me watching it for the first time.

Treat yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent period drama series, 14 Dec 2009
R. R. Adams "Raffles" (London) - See all my reviews
For someone who had the 'hots' for Angharad Ress when he was a nipper, maybe I'm a little biased giving a review of Poldark. But I would say that's it's a hugely enjoyable and well acted period drama series that stands up to the test of time, as do most old period pieces. Well worth a watch on a cold Sunday night when all you can find on TV is ghastly reality programmes. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poldark 2 Playback DVDS Drastically Edited, 10 Aug 2007
T. Borras "trinib" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This description page doesn't state how many minutes Series 2 - Part 1 is; well, it's 340 minutes long. Part 2 is, as stated on its page, 325. That is 665 minutes for Poldark 2. My (US ntsc) videos of Series 2 runs 720 minutes long. On the back of these Playback sets it's stated that "for contractual reasons certain edits have been made." In the case of Series 2 they mean they've edited out 55 minutes. I haven't figured out how many minutes are missing (and I'm just talking about the US videos which for all I know are edited from the original broadcast on the bbc) from the Playback Series 1 sets but I think we can expect the same treatment -- basically that about an hour of the series will be missing. I am so sorry I didn't know about the edits when I bought these and that I didn't do any research on length. I made an assumption that getting PAL dvds (we don't have the Poldark series' on dvd on Region 1), made in the UK, I'd be getting at least as much footage as I had on my old videos. I regret I made this purchase and am writing this to warn anyone who has these on video to count minutes and compare and maybe to wait before you move to dvds. I've read that the Australian dvd editions are the most complete but compared to what I'm not sure; even so, it's something to look into. For those who don't have the series' at all it's really sad, scandalous actually, that we would be better off buying the very expensive oop video sets if we don't want to be cheated of a whole hour (it might be more if the comparison were made with the original UK videos for I don't know how many minutes they boasted) than to buy these condensed dvd versions from Playback. It should go without saying my one-star rating is for the subject dvd editions, not the miniseries' themselves, both of which I would rate all the stars in existence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Series and Scenery Stunning, 5 Jan 2012
I just had to say how delighted i am with these DVDs i used to watch the series back in the 70s, i loved it then and these are wonderful bringing all the lovely memories back Thank You, i now live in Cornwall which i love, moved here twenty years ago, it was after watching the series in the 70s that decided me that one day i would move to my beloved Cornwall. Thank You for the Super Service the dvds arrived safely and were very well packed

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific viewing, 15 Feb 2010
L. I. Stow - See all my reviews
Although this series is 35 years old, it is still a terrific series, made a lovely change from all the murder and violence made for today's market. (Series 1 had been a xmas present)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Passion of Poldark, 26 Feb 2009
I read the books when they were first published, excellent. Then an ardent fan when first televised in the 70's. I've been enjoying the TV series again with my daughter on UK History Absolutely Fantastic!!!!! Enjoyed the story lines even more this time round, the casting was suberb. How could I forget how brillient Robin Ellis played the romantic lead he has knocked Colin Firth's Mr Darcy into second place. The series due to end tomorrow with final two episodes I agree with fan club that I could not accept different actors in the roles of Demelza & Ross. The books contained so much more!

Poldark: Series 1 - Part 1 [DVD] [1975]
Poldark: Series 1 - Part 1 [DVD] [1975] by Robin Ellis (DVD - 2003)