Format: Audio CDChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 March 2007
B.B.King has described 'My Kind of Blues' as his favourite album and it's easy to see why. Recorded around March 1960 using only a sparse accompaniment of Lloyd Glenn(piano), probably Ralph Hamilton(bass) and Jessie Sailes(drums) King's stinging guitar and powerful voice come across beautifully. Originally one of 12 LPs B.B.King made for the CROWN label 'My Kind of Blues' has now expanded from 10 to 18 tracks with songs coming from the pens of Sleepy John Estes, Roosevelt Sykes, Muddy Waters and Doctor Clayton.

Expertly re-mastered by ACE RECORDS and compiled and annotated by blues expert John Broven this is a model blues CD re-issue and an ideal introduction to B.B.King's music.
on 26 October 2011
What attracted me to purchase this album was the rare opportunity to hear BB King playing with a sparse accompaniment; whereas usually his recordings are supported with brass. Given that this album was recorded more than 50 years ago, it is a fine crisp sound and BB's playing of his Gibson guitar, Lucille, is as usual outstanding. There are no poor songs in this collection. It is great to hear BB at his brilliant best. I definitely recommend this album.
on 24 April 2013
Now this (to quote it's title) is my knid of blues. Some of these tracks were overdubbed (wrongly) at a later date with orchestration. This bare bones album is great listening and I'm sure glad I found it.
on 19 May 2015
This was B.B. King's personal favorite album. It has a terrific live, immediate sound and a very tasty mix of styles. I would give it 5 stars but a few of the tunes didn't appeal to me. But, any fan of B.B. King, any blues fan and any aspiring guitarist of any style of music will enjoy this album. If all you know of B.B. is his (to my taste) soppy, MOR hit The Thrill Is Gone - listen to this for a taste of what he would have sounded like playing in a roadhouse circa 1960.
Great American music.
on 19 July 2015
I have over forty BB King albums including three different box sets. But "My Kind Of Blues" is up there with "Completely Well" as my favourite studio albums of the man so much so that after uploading them to my iPods the discs are kept and often played in the car.Highly recommended
on 20 September 2015
WOW the best kinda Blues Original..
on 12 June 2015
BB without all bells and whistles
on 11 January 2015