Now That's What I Call Music! Vol 54
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£3.97+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 1 April 2003
More of the standard Pop, Rock and Dance fayre from the people at the Now compilation headquarters. This album includes the usual Pop offerings (Justin Timberlake, Busted, Liberty X and S Club). It also includes a lot of Pop from the TV reality shows (Fame Academy's David , Ainslee and Sinead with Girls Aloud and One True Voice) showing the ever changing face of the current Pop market. Again a lot of dance tunes here (Junior Senior, Room 5 and DJ Sammy). Also includes Coldplay, Oasis and Richard Ashcroft for us purists. Dissapointed not to see the excellent Avril Lavigne but all in all this album as always contains something for everyone.
on 31 March 2003
We've had to wait four weeks longer for this instalment of the "Now" series than usual, but, boy was it worth the wait. This is easily the best album for quality since the wonderful Now 50, 18 months ago.
We kick off with the hugely controversial "All The Things She Said" by those naughty Russian girls, a great track despite being bad-mouthed by certain day-time presenters. The quality doesn't stop there, Justin Timberlake, Girls Aloud, Melanie C and Sinead Quinn making worthy contributions, these are slightly eclipsed by Liberty X's phenomenal "Being Nobody", the toe-tapping "Move Your Feet" by Junior Senior and the stunning (running out of superlatives here) Room 5. Everytime I hear the song I shout "CHOOOON!" and start dancing like the weird bloke in the ad. Instead of being joined by two lovely ladies, I tend to get a slap round the chops. Damn. CD1 weaves its way through several cheery pop songs, interrupted suddenly by Jay Z, which on paper wouldn't fit, but i like that song. The quality takes a wee bit of a nosedive with the losers from Popstars, making an appearance, before bouncing back with uplifitng stuff from Ainslie and Kym Marsh.
CD2 starts off with a couple of #1s, from Messers Bedingfield & Sneddon before moving into some wonderfully inspiring indie music, including the astonishingly good "Clocks" by Coldplay, I can't be the only one who plays air-piano when I hear it? The CD moves into hip-hop with the second contributions from Nelly & Justin on the album, before moving just as suddenly to cheesy euro-dance, which for once is quite good, including a quite bizarre cover of "Flash" by Queen! Lesser hits, but by no means worse quality songs finish the album off including 80's throwbacks Erasure and the welcome return of Massive Attack.
OK, there are a couple of dodgy tracks but you have to expect that you won't like some songs on such a big album, and thank all the religious deities in the pantheon, there is a skip button. Aonther reason for buying is the sheer diversity of it, Erasure and Queen nestle snugly next to DJ Sammy and the Sugababes! I, for one, shall be scoffing all my Easter eggs in bed whilst listening to this album with a big smile of satisfaction on my face, and chocolate dribbling down my chin.
on 8 April 2003
So I have almost every Now. The Best part is gussing what will make the tracklist and then a few weeks before the release date the list appears and you're either plesantly surprised or dissapointed. In this case its a little of both. The NOW's alsmost always start with a number 1 this one is no different with TATU getting things started with the unique sounding "All the Things She said." This Now features some of the best records from the last 3 months. Including the major number one from Nelly and Kelly Rowland, that catchy Room 5 from the lynx telly ad and the Christmas number one that bought Popstars the rivals to an end. The only pop Idol contestant to make it on this CD is Darius with his follow up to colourblind and 3 fame accademy students: David Sneddon, Sinead Quinn and Anslie make their first NOW appearences. For me I'm happy that Junior Senior, Liberty X vs Richard X and Robbie made it. This CD good be improoved on though by adding Avril Lavinge and Delta. Both Nelly and Justin Timberlake make 2 apperances and for fans of pop the latest offerings from Atomic Kitten, Kim Marsh and Blue are here for your listening pleasure! So Order Now 54 and continue your collection. Roll on the Summer for Now 55!
on 2 April 2003
Now 54 is not really what I expected. I was expecting Eminem, Christina Aguilera, Electric 6, Milk Inc, Flip & Fill, Liam Lynch, Big Brovaz and 50 Cent plus others 2 b on Now 54. I am not pleased that there r all those pop idols and fame academy singers on the cd. In my opinion it's wasted space. However there r good songs on there, and it will definately b another Now 2 add 2 my collection!
on 15 April 2003
Well it's here and there is not a lot of disappoint from my behalf. Now 54 serves up yet again a yummy helping of hits since the release of Now 53 last November. It's been a while since the last release but it's arrived just in time for Easter. (How convenient) I have my copy and it's very pleasing with number ones galore from Tatu to Richard X and Liberty X. We could however have seen Misteeq's Scandalous and sonmething from Craig David instead of all the Pop Idols but we can't have it all. It does however include Junior Senior, Richard Ashcroft , Scooter and Kym Marsh's excellent debut solo tune, so I can't really complain. Nice design too.
Now 54 is great. 4/5 in my opinion. Roll on Now 55.
Cheers and that's it from me for NOW. He He geddit?!
JAMES
on 11 April 2003
NOW 54 continues to carry on the tradition of providing a good mix across all genres for the most recent hits without having to include the super commercial material that Hits and smash hits still support. The final edit including such massive summer tunes as Room 5 and Junior Senior and not forgetting the tunes which just missed 53 like Girls Aloud and Nelly & Kelly. A compilation that may already bring back memories as well as make them. To it's disadvantages, still tends to include alot of euro dance and fails to cleanly sift through the less successful commercial tracks such as S Club and Kym Marsh but chop off the last 5 tracks on CD 1 and you have a winner, well worth the cash especially offered at the amazon price, will be worth 10 times more in years to come.
on 16 April 2003
Few people would have believed that the Now series would run for 20 years but that landmark is fast approaching.
As with the previous volumes Now 54 suffers from the same problems that have plagued its predecessors and that is the quality of the songs available to it. Disc 2 in this instance is particularly poor. That sound you hear during tracks 13 through to 18 is the bottom of the barrel being scrapped.
On the plus side the series is as always good value for money and there are always a selection of tracks that make it a must buy. In this case I would single out t.A.T.u, Robbie Williams, Oasis, Coldplay, Turin Brakes, Richard Ashcroft and Counting Crows.
So there is good and there is bad here, but hey that's why CD players are programmable!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Wow! This is a really amazing compilation. The tracklisting just strings perfectly from hit to hit. It also features 6 number ones, which is more than we've had in ages.
CD 1 starts out with smash hits from TATU, Justin Timberlake, Nelly & Kelly and Liberty X, then we get some nice dance pop from Room 5 (from the Lynx advert) and Junior Senior, and then a huge collection of pop hits including Girls Aloud, Busted, Sinead Quinn, Atomic Kitten and Blue. Next up is a bit of R&B/Dance from Jay-Z & Beyonce and Jaimeson, then the disc finishes up with some more pop from S Club, One True Voice and more.
CD 2 is largely indie and ballads, starting off with Daniel Bedingfield, David Sneddon, Robbie Williams and Oasis. Then some more indie (Turin Brakes, Coldplay...). Then for the R&B, with Cam'ron, Nelly & Justin Timberlake etc. Halfway throught the disc we get some lovely dance (one of the biggest highlights of the album for me) with Panjabi MC, Scooter, DJ Sammy and Divine Inspiration. The album concludes with more indie from the likes of Mock Turtles (from the Vodafone TV advert), Counting Crows and Massive Attack.
Overall the CD is excellent, with few bad tracks, but there are still so many more awesome ones it missed:
Eminem, Blue & Elton John, Christina Aguilera, 50 Cent, Jurgen Vries and CMC, Love Inc, Pink, Gareth Gates, Will Young etc. etc.
However quite a lot of these can be found on Hits 55 - a great accompaniment to Now 54.
So, despite all the ones it missed, I still give it 5 stars simply because there are so few bad tracks, and so many good ones.
To finish up with, a couple of general observations:
1. This album features both Popstars: The Rivals bands, and the biggest two from Fame Academy.
2. It seems to be a new idea to put an old band's new song on Disc 2 - on here it's Queen, on Now 53 it was Status Quo!!
Thank you for reading my review! I am listening to the CD as I write this and it is absolutely amazing - really and truly one of the best Now CDs in years!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
CD 2 is largely indie and ballads, starting off with Daniel Bedingfield, David Sneddon, Robbie Williams and Oasis. Then some more indie (Turin Brakes, Coldplay...). Then for the R&B, with Cam'ron, Nelly & Justin Timberlake etc. Halfway throught the disc we get some lovely dance (one of the biggest highlights of the album for me)with Panjabi MC, Scooter, DJ Sammy and Divine Inspiration. The album concludes with more indie from the likes of Mock Turtles, Counting Crows and Massive Attack.
To finish up with, a couple of general observations:
Thank you for reading my review!
on 9 April 2003
Now That's What I Call Music Vol 54 has a large variety of new and incredible songs. The playlist includes songs such as 'All The Things She Said'-t.a.T.u, 'Like I love You'-Justin Timberlake, 'Rushes'-Darius, 'Hey Ma'-Cam'Ron feat Juels Santana, Freekey Zeekey and Toya, 'Weekend'-Scooter, Plus many many more top songs. It is a great compilation cd and it will put a smile on any bodies face, and more to the point it contains many songs that have reached number one in the charts for one or more weeks.