5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS-10D
I got this camera about 2 weeks ago. I'm dabbling into the semi-professional world and wanted to be able to print at larger sizes than the 3Mpix nikon 995 I had would allow. Due to the amount of nikon accessories I owned, I nearly got the nikon D100. Thankfully I road tested the two of them over a weekend - No comparison...
The 10D is amazing. Negligible shutter lag,...
Published on 16 April 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars looks good on paper, but...
I purchased the 10D and had really high expectations, but it has been a total disaster for me. The problem is that it just won't focus properly and Canon can't seem to get it right as this is the 2nd 10D I've had that has been adjusted by Canon and in both cases they came back worse than when they left me.
So far it has been 2 months of continued phone calls and...
Published on 26 May 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS-10D, 16 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Canon EOS 10D Digital SLR Camera [6MP] - Body Only (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
The 10D is amazing. Negligible shutter lag, quick focusing even in extremely low light levels, picture quality amazing. The 7 point autofocus is superior to the nikon too. The controls are well placed and (alot) easier to understand/change than the D100.
The creative controls are easy to set. The automatic modes (new to me) produce good vibrant pictures with very little effort in terms of exposure/aperture setting etc.
Go and buy one - now (assuming you can spare the cash of course!)

5.0 out of 5 stars At last an affordable DSLR good enough for professional use., 26 Mar 2003
Canon where the first to bring out a digital camera under £2200 with the D30 2 years ago. Although the D30 was not a professional camera it still attracted a lot of professional photographers (myself included) who owned Canon lenses but could not afford the £10,000 for a Kodak DCS based on the Caon Eos1.
A lot has changed in 2 years, Canon brought out the D60 as the D30 replacement and around a year later we have the 10D.
Picking up the Eos 10D you can't help but notice the extra weight compared to the D30/60. This is due to the magnesium body. The next thing you notice is the buttons have been rearranged, the body has rounded edges and the new larger LCD panel on the top of the camera which is backlit for use at night.
In use the Autofocus is a huge improvement over the D30/60. There are 7 Autofocus points which can be selected individually or left on auto. The viewfinder lights up showing which AF points are in use. Although not quiet as fast as the Eos1D the focus is fast enough for most applications including sports photography. The next improvement you notice is the shutter lag (the amount of time from when you press the shutter button to the shutter actually opening). The camera feels more like a film camera in operation and there is little shutter lag to worry about.
Images can be reviewed on the back screen which is bright and has good contrast. A useful Zoom allows you to check that the image is sharp, pressing one button zooms in and you can then scroll around the image. This is a feature missing on the more expensive Eos1D.
You will need compact flash cards with a large capacity, a 256mb card will hold around 80 images on fine jpeg and just 37 in Raw.
The E-TTL flash has been improved. This is one area that has caused a lot of problems for photographer before. Using a 550EX flash with previous Canon DSLR's required using the FEL (flash expousure lock) button to preflash on a midtone, locking in the flash expousure before taking the photograph. The Eos 10D works fine with flash without having to use FEL which will be a huge advantage to photographers trying to take candid photographs. The flash expousure is well balanced as gives natural looking photographs.
The white balance is now selectable in Kelvins as well as the preset options including automatic. If a picture taken under tungsten lighting looks a little too orange it's simple to turn the Kelvin setting down slightly for a cooler look. For those who don't want to worry about colour temperatures the Auto white balance mode works well.
The camera can be used in fully automatic modes or with AV, TV, or fully manual modes. ISO speeds range from 100 to 1600 and 3200 can be selected via the menu. Images taken between 100 and 800 show little noise. 1600 looks like film grain, and 3200 is very useable and is better than 3200ISO film.
The image quality is first class providing you invest in good Canon L series lenses. You should be able to print at least A3+ sized prints that compare to 35mm film based images.
At this price there is little competition, the 10D is likely to be a huge sucess for Canon. I am already considering buying a second 10D body as I am that impressed with the camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10D Difficult but ultimately rewarding, 3 Sep 2003
I'm a professional photographer, the kit I use has to work perfectly and deliver flawless results day in day out. The 10D CAN do this but it needs time and application to tame this beast. Treating it as if it were a standard Canon SLR just doesn't work. Film is not the same as digital, to get the best out of the 10D you must get the exposure absolutely right (a la slide film) or you will lose valuable detail, particularly in highlight areas. This can be done but you MUST learn how to use in histogram function to do it.
The biggest thing that affects the 10D without question is quality of lenses. Stick a standard Canon zoom on this camera and you will be disappointed with the results, stick a high quality 'L' series lens on, use RAW mode with a non-Canon convertor (like BreezeBrowzer) and you will get absolutely fantastic results, the equal of medium format. The 1.6 factor is slightly annoying if you use wide angles a lot and it really doesn't magnify your lenses by 1.6, it just crops the image. It also means the viewfinder image is quite small.
In use the camera is just what you would expect from Canon, easy to use with masses of sensible features (like a depth of field preview, mirror up function, pc flash socket).
The focusing is not perfect, there is no getting away from that, Canon have used one of their less sensitive focusing mechanisms in the 10D to keep the cost down, only the central focusing point is ultra-sensitive. However in normal use, with the lens stopped down a couple of stops it works absolutely fine and fast.
Digital SLR's are new technology and in comparison with the much more expensive 1D and 1Ds the 10D is good value, better that the new 300D which lacks some features.
Be prepared to spend money on a large CF card or microdrive and GOOD lenses, which will always fit the next generation anyway.
In summary, a fantastic technological marvel which, when tamed will convert you to digital forever, just be prepared to start learning again as it is not such a simple switch from film, but well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars EOS 10D a digital delight!, 6 May 2003
I purchased the Canon 10D as a replacement for my Olympus OM system and medium format Bronica kit. I was very trepidatious about changing from my well tried setup, to the realms of all digital, having only had experience of a couple of basic digital cameras, but my worries were definitely in vain.
In short it’s marvellous! The flexibility in shooting it affords, ranging from “point and shoot” to full manual control, with a positive wealth of possibilities in between, coupled with the ability to view, magnify, evaluate and keep or delete pictures at will, is worth the price alone. Add to this the stunning quality from its 6.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor, the 7 point, selectable, rapid auto focussing system, the adaptable metering system, virtually noise free images at up to1600 ISO and beyond and the vast array of excellent Canon EF lenses available make it an absolute bargain.
Although it is packed with features, I found it very easy to operate even though I had never used a Canon EOS camera before. The controls are well placed, well labelled and the most commonly used ones seem to fall right under the fingers, and although a good read of the manual is recommended, if you’re like me you’ll be shooting and reviewing pictures within minutes of unpacking it.
I’m always extremely picky about image quality and usually things that other reviewers rave about just don’t meet my high standards. This time though I can honestly say I’m more than impressed. The Canon EOS 10D has exceeded all of my expectations, and for once when the magazines say that you’ll be blown away, they’re right, but don’t just take my word for it, there’s a wealth of images available on the web for you to download and see for yourself.
So far I have found the battery life to be very good, despite spending a long time with the camera on and not taking pictures, to familiarise myself with all the many and varied features.
The software package supplied is comprehensive and ranges from the fairly simple Canon Zoom Browser EX picture download program to Adobe Photoshop Elements (with applications in between) which although is normally thought of as a cut down version of Photoshop 7.0 has a few tricks up its sleeve the full version lacks.
The bottom line, if you’re looking for a flexible, controllable, digital camera that produces uncompromised quality results, at a price that doesn’t involve re-mortgaging the house, then look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary, 9 Jun 2004
Canon can be justly proud of their affordable digital SLR range, which started out with the D30, moved on to the D60 and now the revolutionary EOS10D. Canon are determinedly targeting the 10D at the advanced amateur market, and very definitely not badging it as a professional SLR. This however was the same, some years ago, for the EOS 5 and did very little to dissuade professionals from buying them. The first thing that strikes you about the 10D is the build quality: put simply the new magnesium alloy body makes it feel like a camera designed to take a few knocks. The D60 was seen as very much of a move forward from the D30 but it did have a few problems, one of which was a slightly sluggish auto focus: something the engineers at Canon have sorted out and made much more responsive in the new 10D. As would be expected for an advanced amateur camera, the EOS 10D has an adjustable built in flash, mounted above the pentaprism. Being a system camera it also accepts the new range of Canon digital Speedlites which, as well as the usual bunch of tricks and high shutter speed sync mode, in the case of the top of the range 550EX also offers wireless remote control of slave flashguns. This is a huge step forward in SLR photography. The move from the traditional on camera or bracket mounted single flash head set up, offers the SLR photographer the sort of lighting control only previously available to those using multiple studio heads, and with the added advantage of very much more portable form. Couple the multiple flash facility with digital's ability to show exactly what the picture looks like as soon as it's been shot and the opportunities for experimentation with lighting expand exponentially. On the down side my only real disappointment of the EOS 10D is the very low sixtieth of a second shutter speed sync required to be set when using the PC socket and monobloc heads.
Again, as you'd expect, the EOS 10D offers the facility to shoot in RAW mode and then decode the files into TIF format. Raw mode became more attractive recently with the unveiling of Photoshop CS, the latest incarnation of the program, which includes the ability to deal directly with files shot in RAW format. For magazine publication however I have so far found that shooting in large fine Jpeg format is more than adequate. If you need to make big prints shooting in RAW mode is the best option. Colour rendition by the EOS 10D is also something that needs to be applauded as it's little short of fabulous. The 10D copes with a broad contrast range, easily operates in low light conditions, and renders excellent colour. Noise in the shadow areas at the higher film speeds is greatly reduced on previous models, and the maximum film speed setting is increased from 1000 ISO on the D60 to 1600 ISO on the 10D. White balance can also now be dialled into the camera in degrees Kelvin for even greater control, and there is also the option to shoot in Adobe RGB mode. Wide angle devotees still have to cope with the problem of the 1.6 magnification but ultra-wide zooms are increasingly affordable and it seems that all the camera manufacturers are beginning to take a long hard look at their lens systems with regard to the onset of digital. In my own case I bought the new Canon 17-40mm f4 at the same time as the camera, which gives me an angle of view equivalent to approximately 27mm on 35mm. In some ways it seems pedantic to be remarking upon an extra single millimetre but suffice to say that, like the EOS10D, the lens is brilliant. There is of course a serious learning curve to going digital but in the six months since I bought the camera I find I've only shot 3 rolls of film: as soon as I have a second body I'll be ditching the 35mm SLRs altogether.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fast and Feels Good, 21 July 2004
Stacy Munn "multimedia designer" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I've used the Canon EOS 10d for 5 months now and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I also bought an extra battery, but have not had to use it. The battery lasts all day (at least thus far).
In auto mode, the camera produces correctly exposed, sharp photos. Unlike my Canon Powershot, the camera takes the picture with very little delay after depressing the shutter button.
In the creative zones, you can set aperture priority to take, for example, selective focus shots, or use shutter speed priority and set a slow shutter speed to take some good blurring shots.
The auto focus is quick and accurate. I never use the manual focus mode. The pop-up flash works great for lighting subject that are in shadows or back lit.
I now find it a bit frustrating to use my film camera. I'm addicted to viewing my shots on the spot. And I love being able to change lenses without having to first finish a roll or wind the film back into the spool.
I also have a Canon EOS AE film camera that I purchased in 1995. Since I'm familiar with the EOS system and have Canon system lenses, I chose the 10d over the similarly priced Nikon prosumer digital camera. The EOS cameras are extremely comfortable to hold and handle.
I like my Canon cameras so well that I bought the Canon digital Elf for my sister and the Canon Powershot A80 for my mother. Both have reportedly been excellent cameras.
With the 10d, I've used a Canon 50mm/compact macro, a Tamron 28-200mm and a Canon 15mm fisheye lens with the 10d. Because of the difference in the way a film camera and a digital camera operate, you multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.6 to figure the effective focal length when used with a digital camera. So, for example, the 15mm fisheye lens is effectively a 24mm lens on the 10d.
I bought a 1 gig IMB microdrive storage card and that allows me to take 400 high res jpg or 160 raw format photos.
Unless you need the quality of the 1Ds immediately I would recommend getting the 10D because technology is moving so fast that the quality of the 1Ds will be available for the current price of the 10D in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital better than film?, 4 April 2003
Having used digital (3.1 mega pixels)for three years concurrent with a series of Canon Film camaras (EOS3 etc) I tended to use the digital for 'snappy' photographs and the film camaras for more serious stuff, Landscape and Portrait photography mainly scanning the negative or transparancy using a high resolution film scanner. All I can say is that my film camaras and scanner are up for sale!
This is a remarkable piece of kit which has brought digital into an era which knocks almost all film into a cocked hat and compares favourably with the likes of Velvia (using the RAW setting which produces such stunning images that I have spent all night with my mouth contantly open as I play with the images - they are awesome).
If you have used any of the EOS camaras before you will be up and running within seconds. If you haven't had the pleasure of a Canon before you should be happily shooting away withing 5 minutes tops.
The spec of the 10D is on a par with most of the very best Pro/am camaras. The camara allows to perform some image editing 'in camara' and print direct from from it. It also come with a full copy of Photoshop elements and a load of other very useful programmes and cables (No CF card though). I use a Microdrive which is perfect.
It is a solid and robust camara which will have you smiling from ear to ear.
Cons: Only two niggles - No spot metering, although the partial metering covers only 9% of the view and is close enough especially when you can use zoom, and whilst there are 10 white balance setting none of them can be fine tuned. This are small issues.
Buy it and I guarantee that your grin will have people talking (and your partner worried) for months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Camera, 3 Feb 2004
If you're looking at buying this camera then you most likely know a reasonable amount about it so I won't bore you with details.
I owned 2 EOS bodies prior to buying this, the most recent being an EOS 30.
The 10D is everything I hoped it would be: a good quality EOS body with a digital sensor. It is lovely to handle and to use, and the image quality has been superb. If you think that the capital outlay will be made up for by film savings, then think again. It is an inspiring piece of kit, so you will wind up wanting a wide-angle lens, third-party RAW convertors, Photoshop CS, various plugins, portable hard-drives, photo printer etc etc.
That said, I have never regretted buying this camera for a moment. I have taken 800 photos since buying it 2 months ago. I'm pleased I bought it over the 300D/Digital Rebel. If you buy the 300D then don't moan about the lack of Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) which I make a lot of use of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superseded, 22 Feb 2005
Michael Brown (Rozelle, Australia) - See all my reviews
Sad, but that's how fast things move in the Digital world. This camera has now been replaced by the Canon 20D. As such, it's no longer worth the £800+ that Amazon have it advertised for, as I write this.
But click on the New and Used link, and I can currently see it for £400 from one of Amazon's own partners. And that's new as well; it's not a used one. That's got to be the best bargain that I've seen in a long time. You'll be paying £700 less than the 20D's cost, and for a camera that's not all that inferior to it.
Here's a quick summary of the main improvements you'd be missing by not getting the 20D:
• Increased pixel count; the 20D has 8.2 Megapixels compared to the 10D's 6.3. However, you're only ever likely to notice this if you're printing out large (bigger than A3) prints.
• Less image noise at higher ISO settings. The 20D is noticeably better at ISO 800 and higher
• Faster start up time. The 10D takes 2 or 3 seconds to start up, and this can be a major pain, especially as it puts itself into standby mode after 30 seconds or so of inactivity. (It takes those same 2 or 3 seconds to wake up from standby mode too). I don't think I've ever actually missed a shot because of this, but it's been a close thing on occasion. The 20D starts up pretty well instantaneously.
• Ability to use the Canon's EF-S lenses. This new range of digital-only lenses can, at present, be used only with the 300D and 20D. They will not fit on to the 10D! Shame, because there's some nice looking lenses in the EF-S range. 3rd party manufacturers such as Sigma have stepped in to fill this gap somewhat.
Despite these shortcomings, you'll be getting an awful lot of camera for £400. I certainly wouldn't pay much more for it now, although it was worth double that not six months ago. If you've got the money to spare, I'd still go for the 20D though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably friendly, 8 Dec 2004
I have a number of EOS lenses with which I'm very happy and couldn't afford to replace anyway, so when it came to choosing my first digital SLR I came back to Canon; choosing between the 300D, 10D and 20D wasn't easy, but taking a hands-on look at some shop demo models left me with the impression that while the 300D is a great camera, wonderfully affordable too for what it offers to novices in particular, the 10D and 20D both offer broader advanced features. Both are significantly more robust too, which can be important in the field (slippery fingers are a cursed thing!). Ultimately, the price of the 10D and my more modest needs won me over, and I was able to acquire the camera via the Marketplace for the same amount as a new 300D, which was thrilling.
I'm more than satisfied with its performance, and have been getting wonderful results with my most used lens, a 100mm Canon Macro f2.8. Accurate auto-focus and minimal noise even at higher ISOs seals it all for me.