5.0 out of 5 stars An up-close insight into these wonderful creatures

Published on 18 Jan. 2012 by Mrs. E. Stankovich

3.0 out of 5 stars Escaping ants, 18 Jan. 2012
Mrs. E. Stankovich (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
My live ants arrived in post really quickly, service and customer care at interplay is faultless.. However after just 2\3 days I found the odd ant outside the tank, couldn't work out where they were escaping, after a week and finding maybe 10 ants loose, some of which across other side of room! rang interplay for advice, which was that I maybe had a tiny gap between connecting frame work so my advice is.... When pack arrives, take care to click pieces carefully together! Once sand is in, it's impossible to do so, so I have taped every seam! customer care at interplay added that when the ants are happy it's possible to leave tank open and theyre not interested in leaving! They gave a tip of leaving drop of honey in feeding station, which so far, has certainly caused a stir with the ants, I'm hopeful I now have happy ants that won't be escaping..

5.0 out of 5 stars An up-close insight into these wonderful creatures, 3 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
I was given this as a leaving present, as a kind of joke, but my colleagues didn't realise I've always loved ants and really wanted one of these for ages! I wasn't disappointed. This is a well-designed product which provides hours of entertainment and fascination. I've seen all sorts of strange things going on in my Ant World: ants moving things around then back again like women designing a living room with furniture, a brutal murder when an ant I thought had escaped turned out to clearly be from outside (i.e. it was killed within minutes of entry), and interesting preferences for lunch: fruits not as popular as one might think, honey, other insects and even nuts proving popular on the menu. Further, there's plenty of ways to improvise with this kit, and I also think the teamwork ethic the ants display is a nice lesson for children (and adults!) I've had this product for 3 years and bought another one to compare red and black ants. The reds I brought in from outside, the blacks I ordered from Interplay. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - I never knew ants were so cool, 1 April 2009
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
Well this arrived about a month ago but we waited until the weather got a little warmer to collect our ants, Jam works wonders!!! Two days and the ants have been really busy digging!! My children are two and four and they love watching the ants although they do think they need feeding everyday!! My husband and I are the most fasinated with this. The product was a little fiddly to put together but we've had no escapees so I am happy. All in all a good buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
My son got this for Christmas. Having seen a brilliant ant set-up at Lakeland Wildlife Oasis, I was enthusiastic to make this work. Ordered the ants from Interplay and followed the instructions to a tee having read them from start to finish several times before starting. Had no problems putting it all together, although putting the mud/sand mixture in was a bit fiddly. The ants just didn't seem interested in surviving in there whatsoever - couldn't even be bothered to dig into the sand/soil. They just milled about a bit for the first couple of days and then got slower and slower before they finally ground to a halt and died. Could be that there was no queen, but the manufacturer doesn't supply queen ants.

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun at first - then what?, 22 Jun. 2013
spYder (UK via elsewhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
Bought for kids as fun and learning. Easy and enjoyed setting up together. Found ants and watched for a few weeks as they built tunnels. Few weeks on and nothing more to do or see. Release 'into the wild' and start again?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 1 Dec. 2007
C. Christie (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
My son of 6 got this as a birthday present from a friend and he and his brother (age 4) have been fascinated by it ever since. It is fiddly collecting the ants and getting them into the plastic box - adult help is essential - but the boys really enjoyed finding an ants nest and locating the queen which you need to do. It was a great success watching the ants build the colony and fun for the boys to be actively involved by feeding the ants - made a good 'show and tell' at school as well. Can be cleaned out and used again - although you would have to get more sand. Really recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy , fun !, 3 Dec. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
That's true, you will have to pick the ants yourself! A walk in the woods will help you to find them from the same colony ( better for them to work together). This farm ant is just great, easy to set, esay to feed, easy to observe, not too big, and definitely easier to handle than a dog (lol). The children get involved and responsable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, brought for grandson who loved it, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
Excellent ,brought for grandson who loved it,but us adults loved it too. You definitely need to make sure when collecting ants that they are from same colony,otherwise as we found out,they fight,we did order our ants on line like it says you can in instruction book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but when you buy ants online you can't seem ..., 1 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
Good but when you buy ants online you can't seem to put them in the farm without them trying to escape so at the moment they are all still living in the test tube connected to the farm

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and educational, 19 April 2008
This review is from: Ant World (Toy)
I bought this for my niece and she liked it. Its a great gift for kids who are curious about nature and interested in science. Easy to install. Only downside is its not as big as I expected.

Ant World