5.0 out of 5 stars another desert island disc
Published on 17 May 2003 by pianoronald

3.0 out of 5 stars wrapped
He seems to be a finger-smith and has Schubert jumping out at you. I listened at first and wondered if I really liked what I was hearing. Then the more I listened the more I wanted to. Do I enjoy the music ... well let's just say it is growing on me.
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by Mrs. E. R. Houghton

5.0 out of 5 stars another desert island disc, 17 May 2003
This review is from: Schubert - Piano Sonatas D959 and D960 (Audio CD)
Here are two of the most beautiful sonatas composed by one of the greatest composers of all times and played by one of today's greatest pianists, Paul Lewis, who despite his age needn't fear any comparison. After his success with two other Schubert sonatas he has given us another desert island disc. This is truely masterful, intelligent playing. Just try the beginning of the B flat major sonata's incredibly sad slow movement - if it doesn't make you cry you have a heart of stone. Or try the A major sonata's scherzo - what a phenomenal light touch.
For me Paul Lewis isn't just one of today's greatest pianists - he is THE greatest and more than deserves all the rewards he is currently winning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Sublime, 31 Jan 2012
Andrew Peter J. More "Book Lover" (Hong Kong/ UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schubert - Piano Sonatas D959 and D960 (Audio CD)
Couldn't agree more with the first reviewer. The opening of the B flat major is so wonderfully done and relaxing. Played it the other night after a long day at school (teaching) and just felt the tension ebb away. Not qualified to comment on his technical skills - but for me music is for listening to and enjoying! Lewis plays beautifully here. A gem of a CD, and well engineered / good sound quality to match.

5.0 out of 5 stars Schubert sonatas, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Schubert - Piano Sonatas D959 and D960 (Audio CD)
Wonderful works superbly performed by a pianist who is incomparable in this repertoire. Worth having even if you already have Brendel. I will buy the others.

3.0 out of 5 stars wrapped, 17 Mar 2012

Schubert - Piano Sonatas D959 and D960
Schubert - Piano Sonatas D959 and D960 by Franz Schubert (Audio CD - 2003)