5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth 5 Stars
Being a huge fan of Third Eye Blind, Lifehouse, Stroke 9 etc. in my mind 3 Doors Down are a very strong contribution to this American-But-Unknown-In-Britian-Rock scene. The heavy guitars mixed with great lyrics and beautiful songs make this album a real must have. Here are some of the tracks that really stand out for me:
1) When I'm Gone: A great opener, and for me...
Published on 9 Nov. 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars better than average american rock
I'd heard of three doors down before the release of this album mainly due to the huge sucess of kryptonite in the US and through the presence of the beautiful Be like that on the american pie 2 soundtrack. So what have these boys got to offer on their secound album? After buying this album i would have to give the answer, a mixed bag. The high point of the album is...
Published on 3 Jun. 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Rock, 29 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Away From The Sun (Audio CD)
3 Doors Down have been compared to many bands, past and present (Rainbow, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Matchbox Twenty, Nickelback); fortunately none of the comparisons come remotely close.
Their debut album, 'A Better Life', set out their stall as a new, innovative, hard rock phenomenon. Tracks such as 'Loser', 'Duck and Run', and (of course) 'Kryptonite', are already cemented in my list of the greatest pieces of music yet created.
An exaggeration? Buy 'A Better Life'. Wind the stereo up. Let the hammer guitar and the ice-axe lyrics bludgeon you. Rock has never been so brutally beautiful.
And that's where the second album, Away from the Sun, blazes into life. Where 'A Better Life' is raw, 'Away From the Sun' is refined. The lyrics are deeper, rounded, and the music simply drags you away from the sun to a dark place where you reflect on the sheer talent wrapping itself around your head.
'When I'm Gone' is a sad tale, played out by rich vocals and a pounding guitar riff.
'Away From the Sun' is depressing and inspiring all at once, and rightfully summarises the album's direction and composition.
'Here Without You' is the best rock 'ballad' that I can remember, and 'Changes' is the only track capable of challenging 'Sara Yellin' as the most meaningful, almost spiteful, track on the album.
"This time it's over, I'm gonna make it end.... ..... lying on the ground, a bullet in his head"
Did I say refined??
My only slight disappointment is based on the band's own desire to make "good ol' American Rock".
Do they have no ambition?
Just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance, 12 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Away From The Sun (Audio CD)
I bought this album after purchasing Another 700 Miles (Live), I really loved the songs on there and decided to get Away from the Sun, and later The Better Life and Seventeen Days. Let me just say that this is a fantastic album, it features great tracks such as When I'm Gone, Here Without You (*NOTE* do not listen to this track if you have just split up with your girlfriend, a real tear jerker!), Ticket to Heaven. Brad Arnold is a very talented musician and 3 Doors Down are a big hit in the U.S, if only they came over here and tried their luck in the charts.
Overall, another classic from 3DD!

2.0 out of 5 stars Away from the Sun, 16 Dec. 2009
David Jenkins - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away From The Sun (Audio CD)
Very disappointing. I had heard the title track quite a few times. I was suitably impressed with the lyrics, tune and style. The rest of the CD pales into insignificance. It is tuneless, monotonous and generally lacking in inspiration. I suspect that this band could do a lot better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great addition to my collection., 29 April 2014
R. D. Mayles (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away From The Sun (Audio CD)
I have only recently discovered 3Doors Down but everything I have hear them play has been a good listen. This album is wonderfull I can thoroughly recommend it even if you have never bought them before...Get it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jun. 2013
Mr. S. Element (Abingdon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away From The Sun (Audio CD)
One of my favourite albums from my joint favourite band, the other being Nickleback. Every track is a masterpiece and deserves to be in anyone's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Away From The Sun (Audio CD)
That's my favorite cd album of 3 doors down and I was looking for it for a long time. Finally I got and I will never regret, the album is realy really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab album, 11 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Away From The Sun (Audio CD)
Loved it at the time of buying it and still listening to the tracks years later, so a good bye for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, maybe even better than their debut, 3 July 2009
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away From The Sun (Audio CD)
I'll sum this album up in just a few words. A great rock record.
No seriously, "Away From The Sun" is probably 3DD best work to date, very strong rockers alongside some classic power ballads, the best of which has the be "Here Without You."
It's 3DD probably heaviest record too, there new album released this year is not half as good and dosn't have that same feel to it.
3DD are also very well known for their extensive tour schedule in support of their albums, I read somewhere once that they sometimes play over 200 shows per year.
That number can certainly be justified in support of this record, I strongly urge you to check this out, modern rock has very rarely sounded better.
Track Picks: "Here Without You" "Away From The Sun" and "When I'm Gone"

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Away From The Sun (Audio CD)
Great album - Shinedown never let you down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Feb. 2015
Brilliant works perfectly

Away From The Sun
Away From The Sun by 3 Doors Down (Audio CD - 2003)