5.0 out of 5 stars High Camp Airline Romps
Written and performed by Alan Cumming and Forbes Masson, The High Life tells of Air Scotia's most useless cabin crew twosome, camp alcoholic Sebastian (Cumming) and insecure sex-obsessed Steve (Masson), and their various escapades. This six-part series was a product of a pilot (pun intended) for Comic Asides, which was eventually reworked as Episode Four in the series...
Published on 26 Feb 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars The HIgh Life
Published on 24 July 2003 by A. Little

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars the high life series 1, 27 April 2009
Mrs. T. Lefevre (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The High Life [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Have waited years for this to become available on dvd, loved it then and still love it now, with the care free silly humour this can make me laugh every time , my children now love it too, Alan Cumming is brilliant and Forbes Masson truly is a clever comic their friendship on screen is perfect. a must by for silly humour lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't received it yet, but it's going to be good!, 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: The High Life [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
This series is at present being rerun on BBC4, so I expect many more people like me will be looking at it to see if it's as funny as we thought it was first time. IT IS! How they got away with it I do not know. I cannot wait for this DVD to drop through my letterbox. Although I suppose it won't be everyone's cup of tea, if you like this kind of humour it's priceless. Happy viewing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never fails to cheer me up..., 27 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The High Life [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
We came across this DVD by accident, having vague memories of the series when it was first broadcast and thinking it must be worth £5 of entertainment.

Best £5 ever spent. It is priceless. Just the song over the opening and closing credits are enough to make me smile after even the most miserable day. Set around a fictional (but strangely familiar feeling) regional airline, it is very camp, incredibly silly and enormous fun. I love the 2nd episode ("Birl") at the Training Centre, where they are made to do exercises ("Rear exit, front exit, side exit, down") to music and sing the inspiring Air Scotia Anthem... and then there's the 5th episode ("Dug") with the immortal "Piff Paff Poff" Eurovision Entry...

However the final episode does feel rather as if, having written 5 episodes, Forbes Masson and Alan Cumming suddenly realised they needed to find material for one more - and so they wrote an episode of "Rentaghost"! Having Mollie Wier as the mad granny only enhances this feeling!

Patrick Ryecroft is marvellous as the mad Captain Duff; Siobhan Redmond likewise as the overbearing and long-suffering Shona Spurtle, trying to cope with the air stewards from hell, Sebastian and Steve.

And I defy you to ever again step on an aircraft and not imagine that the cabin crew are all saying "hello" cheerily, while muttering something rude about you as soon as you are past.

Oh dearie me - it's an absolute joy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 21 April 2006
This review is from: The High Life [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
I bought this DVD when it came out, due to the fact that Siobhan Redmond was in it - and I'm SO pleased I did! If you're looking to cheer yourself up after a miserable day, THL is the way to go. Although explicitly Scottish, anyone can enjoy its "camp" humour & enjoy all the characters flaws which make them hilarious.

Definitely worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST theme songs and sequences, ever!, 11 Jan 2008
Thomas E. Hudson "THudPHud" (West Linn, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The High Life [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
If you're feeling kinda tedious
If life is seriously mediocre
Here's how youse can get adrenalin flowing
Just step aboard a Boeing going highhhhhhhhhhhh
We're living the high life
We're living it well
We're living the high life
Where everything's swell
We're riding so high... up in the sky... oh, my oh my
We're living the high... life...
The high life!

4.0 out of 5 stars Silly harmless and GREAT FUN, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: The High Life [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Fun with Scotia Airways. Much better than the current airline themed series from Lucas and Walliams. This is original, silly and great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking TV Show, 7 May 2007
Sugar Plum (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The High Life [DVD] [1995] (DVD)
A series of great quality with catchphrases such as "Oh dearie me," brilliantly written, and the Eurovision episode has to be seen to be believed. I have fond memories of this series when it was originally aired back in 1995. If only they had done a 2nd series....

5.0 out of 5 stars High Life, 17 Dec 2003
The High Life is an exceptionally funny take on airline life and anyone that has not watched it is missing out. For them to have only made a few episodes is a real shame - considering the amount of unfunny comedy that is currently shown on the TV. This Video/DVD is a definite must for any Christmas stocking for watching on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

3.0 out of 5 stars The HIgh Life, 24 July 2003
A. Little (Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The series that launched Alan Cumming on the unsuspecting British public! Although only one series was ever made, I could still recall the catchprases and title song. Alan Cumming is totally OTT,but then is there any role he has played straight? You'll never be able to look a member of an airline cabin crew in the face without smiling and comparing them with the stars in this video.A must for all Alan Cumming fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars The High Life - Series 1 DVD 1995, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: The High Life [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
When I first purchased this DVD I remembered the series was very funny from when I first watched it back in the 1990's. I thought it way ahead of its time but I had forgotten how hilarious it actually was. Now my twin daughters screached with delight when recently watching the series. They loved the episode with the song for Scotland's entry for the eurovision song contest. Now when they both make the same funny comment they put their heads together with "dearie me". Although it didn't go down so well recently when they got detention at school after asking their form teacher "how's your arse off for lovebites"!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

The High Life [DVD] [1995]
The High Life [DVD] [1995] by Angela de Chastelai Smith (DVD - 2003)
Used & New from: £3.50