4.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past...
When I first watched this dvd, I wasn't too sure what I thought of it. A second viewing made me realise it was a good one. It contains a small collection of videos mixed with live performances. The selection of songs is ok too, with most of the popular ones included.
Published on 28 April 2003 by JenB

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but a missed opportunity
Published on 19 Dec 2006 by misterpunk

4.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past..., 28 April 2003
This review is from: The Clash: The Essential Clash [DVD] (DVD)
There is also a b/w silent movie lasting approx 50 minutes (written and directed by the late Joe Strummer). The quality of this is poor but the story line is amusing, involving gangsters in London... the cast being the Clash, their friends and roadcrew.
There is a very short interview from 1976 with Janet Street-Porter and some promo footage (also from 1976). Overall the picture quality of the dvd is lacking, giving the feeling of watching an old video at times, but the sound quality is perfect throughout.
All in all, this is a good collection of Clash bits and certainly recreates the spirit of the time. Total running time is 90 minutes.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but a missed opportunity, 19 Dec 2006
misterpunk (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clash: The Essential Clash [DVD] (DVD)
I think the problem with this dvd is that apart from Hell W10, there isn't anything on this to entice a Clash fan to buy this. Unfortunately, the Clash never made promo videos for the majority of their songs and also never appeared on totp, so you'd think the record company would have difficulty finding footage to create a dvd similar to the excellent Jam dvd. Wrong! If they bothered to search properly they would have found stuff like: an excellent French tv filmed from early 1980, a Japanese tv gig from 1982, the US festival in 1983, Something Else tv show, Granada tv stuff, American tv stuff, basically this dvd is a missed opportunity. I would buy Rude boy instead as the live footage on that is a million times better than anything on this dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars This cracked me up!!, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Clash: The Essential Clash [DVD] (DVD)
I am 52 years old now but saw the Clash a few times and this really brought it all back, nights at the Marquee and The 100 Club, Great to watch Joe singing Bank Robber in the studio and the live stuff from Shea and the video for Bank Robber filmed in what looks like Lewisham, laughing my head off, I run a little club and I took this dvd down there and put it on last Friday Night, a couple of mates and myself watched it with the sound cranked up and we were all in bits but singing along to Joe's melancholy voice and imagining being 18 again. Cost Peanuts, buy it and have a chuckle if you were there at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Belter, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Clash: The Essential Clash [DVD] (DVD)
This dvd confirms the importance of The Clash from their early punk years full of vitriol to their later mainstream work that paid homage to reggae, ska and jazz. It was great to see Mikey Dread at the controls on Bank Robber.

1.0 out of 5 stars careful!, 23 April 2008
Mr. M. S. Bonfield (uk) - See all my reviews
i bought this DVD after seeing the HUGE tracklisting in the DVD review on this page
when the DVD arrived i find that instead of the 60 tracks - theres only about a dozen!

*annoyed & confused*

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Punk!, 4 Mar 2004
This review is from: The Clash: The Essential Clash [DVD] (DVD)
With me being only 16 years old, I was not part of the clash generation, but after hearing a couple of songs on the radio and on tv, i loved what I heard!
I bought this album and expected alot, and I was not dissapointed! The first disk contains all the old skool punk classics, and the second disk has more of the ska, reggae type stuff. This CD is 41 great tracks of real music, and just shows how good music was before now!

The Clash: The Essential Clash [DVD]
The Clash: The Essential Clash [DVD] by The Clash (DVD - 2003)
5.99